Lee.Flex's Recruiting Trail

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by controllerabuser, Oct 8, 2009.

1. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

2. Lee.Flex

Lee.Flex Ducks Fan

This week, I will be profiling Minnesota and the U of Wash. Will contact the coaches and see how recruiting has been going for their school. I will also be updating last weeks recruiting report, and will be throwing in some Russell TOP 100 dark horse players that may be signing somewhere in the PAC 10 and Big 10.

Look for this report to be out 1 day after OD advance. The new report name will be "The Pig 10 Recruiting Trail"

3. Lee.Flex

Lee.Flex Ducks Fan

PIG 10 Recruiting Report

This week in the PIG 10

The Flex 5 run down:
    1. Hold the phones Arizona, USC just got a hard commit from MLB Huff. USC is now #1 in the nation in recruiting with Four 5*, and Five 4* recruits.

2. Top 10 shuffle : UCLA dropped out of the top 10 to #11. Oregon State is at #9, but have no 4* or 5* recruits to show for it.

3. Big 10 recruiting bash : 3 big ten teams are in the top 10 in recruting thus far. Ohio State is #3, U of Mich is #5 and PSU is #6. Other top Big ten teams are Minnesota at #17 and MSU at #20.

4. Ohio State has already gotten a hard commit from #3 QB Joseph Schultz. Wisconsin and Michigan are tied with the #4 QB James Walker. Suprise in QB's - MSU looks like they took a step closer with #2 QB Robert Graves, beating out In-State Rival Michigan.

5. ATH Mike Henderson is deadlocked between USC and Rugters with Penn State in a distant 3rd. With USC @ #1, what recruit would want to play anywhere else?

PIG 10 Profiles

Minnesota
    Record: 6-1 (Only Loss to un-defeated #1 USC)
    Coach: Controllerabuser

More than half way through the season, the BIG 10 race is heating up. CA has put the Gophers right in the Mix. His recruiting has benefited from his early success as he was #17 on the Best Classes list last week. He dipped to #23 coming into the new week, but plan on see him back in the top 20 before season's end. Only 1 of his recruits has committed thus far, but seeing as how he is in the mix with several recruits from the battle states of Wisconsin, Michigan and Ohio, we think its safe to say he will get his fair share of recruits by seasons end.

We were able to get some inside access from him @ a school press conference last week. Here were some of the questions we asked:

1. #17 in recruiting, what is the sell point on most of these phone calls that seems to be working?
    I just go after the very high's and mosts.

2. How much time each week do you spend talking with your top recruits / bottom recruits?
    I use less time for the guys who have me far ahead of other schools on their list. I use the most time, about an hour for the guys who have me over somebody else barely. Or if they are a 4-5* recruit.

3. What is the biggest name on your recruiting board right now and, are you close to getting a commit from him?
    Biggest name is and was John Moore from Toronto, Canada. He is a 6'2 WR with A speed who will spread the field for Pittman and compliment a nice group of already speedy wideouts.

4. Who is your biggest recruiting competition and which recruits do you find yourself fight with them over?
    Wisconsin, or any big ten team for that matter. Last year, I grabbed some guys from Wisconsin and he snagged some from Minnesota. Last year's big one was Paul Jones, WR I think.

5. In 3 words or less , sum up your recruiting at this point in the season.
    Ready to commit.

Washington
    Record: 4-3 (Losses to USC and CAL)
    Coach: bcduggan

Taking another short fall this week was Washington form #13 to #15, but don't let the bad taste fool you; BC has already locked up Four 3* athletes, which is 2nd in the country behind the 5 already locked up at Oregon State. Washington recruits in one of the toughest area's in the country..... simply put, because most local talent is usually split between all 4 major Northwest teams.... and thats not even mentioning the Golden State teams that recruit very well in the Northwest. BC will travel to Oregon State this week, in hopes of not only getting a win, but swaying some Oregon athletes interests.

Since I am BC's opponent this week, I was unable to gain access to the U of Washington's practice facilities to meet with Coach BC. Instead, I sent him an e-mail that he could reply back to, and this is what we got:

1. #13 in recruiting, what is the sell point on most of these phone calls that seems to be working?
    I just think that spending time with the recruits is enough. I really don't know which pitch is working more than the others.

2. How much time each week do you spend talking with your top recruits / bottom recruits?
    The need positions, I spend 40-60 minutes with each week. 5-10 minutes with everyone else.

3. What is the biggest name on your recruiting board right now and, are you close to getting a commit from him?
    The biggest name on my recruiting board is #5 Guard Lionel Williams, he is rated #95 overall. He already has visited Oregon and is pretty close to signing with them. If he is still undecided I hope to have him visit for the Washington/WSU rivalry game with the intent of getting him to sign after the game.

4. Who is your biggest recruiting competition and which recruits do you find yourself fight with them over?
    My biggest competition is the Pac 10. Most recruits are looking to play in the best conference, so they look to play out west. Parrish the QB recruit we signed is a good example, 7 of the schools he was strongly considering were Pac 10 schools.

5. In 3 words or less , sum up your recruiting at this point in the season.
    Always seeking talent.

BIG 10 top 5

1. #2 HB in the Nation B.Robinson has Commited to MICH. He has A- speed and can break out of some tackles at B-. His true strength will be his B+ agility. His biggest weakness in the run game is his B acceleration. Don't expect him to catch a pass either, he has D+ hands.

2. #1 FB Alex Brown is leaning towards Ohio State. His speed is great at B- for a FB. His biggest strength is his run block at A. He will need to work on his Pass Blocking, but as a FB, don't be surprised to see him show off his speed with the ball in his hands.

3. #1 Tackle is Taylor Fletcher. Taylor may be the Brett Favre of this years recruiting crop. Every week it changes from PSU to UCLA to LSU. Which ever team gets him will take advantage of his B+ Run Blocking and B Pass Blocking. His biggest weakness is his pass block strength. You need more than C+ strength to play with the big boys. Look for him to hit the gym hard his freshman year to even out his assets in the pass game.

4. #1 TE in the nation, Alex Clarke has hinted to school mates he is going to go to PSU. Rumor has it, he has been driving around in a brand new Ivory AUDI A8 with the license plate "WHT-OUT"..... Anyways, Clarke has C+ speed and has good hands at B. His footwork in the run game is an area for concern, but watch for him to be out catching passes more often than not.

5. #3 ATH Kyle Weber is sweating phone calls from Oklahoma and Ohio State. Both are deadlocked on this guy and his attributes show why. He has A speed and B agility. Although it is un-certain as to where either teams coaches will place him, my guess is that his B+ man coverage has DB written all over him. Weber currently plays RB, DB and KR/PR at his high school.

PAC 10 top 5

1. #1 Player in the country MLB T.Huff signs with USC. He has B speed and B tackle. His B+ strength will surely give offensive linemen fits, and his B- pursuit and tackle with have RB's shaking in their low tops. Sorry Arizona, maybe next year.

2. #2 Player in the Nation RB N.Wheeler.... yep you guessed it, he's going to USC. Wheeler has blazing A- speed and acceleration. His break tackle is B- and agility is B+. Don't worry PAC 10, his catch is D so there will be no Reggie Bush sightings. His injury and Stamina is at C+, so with all the down RB's already for USC this season.... last thing they want to hear is something about a fragile HB.

3. #4 MLB Kenny Barnett has his hands full with scholarship offers..... but what? No letter from USC? Barnett is leaning towards UCLA and may be going to prove he is better than #1 T.Huff. To bad he only has C+ speed, but were he lacks in speed he gains in hit power. Look for him to put down more than his share of players..... and get the ambulance ready, that chip on his shoulder is going to hurt.

4. #2 WR Marvin Mills is looking hard at the SoCa area with USC and UCLA in a war right now. Can you blame them? B+ speed and B- route running for a freshman would be great for either team. Don't look for Mills to be much of an over the middle threat his first year though, his catch in traffic is C+.... good thing his injury is B+..... if he chooses USC, that guy above will be waiting.

5. First let me say.... I scrolled down a ways to find this guy. Everyone above him was USC, USC, USC.... come on now, I have to give the Northwest some love. #2 FS Travis Porter is leaning towards Oregon, but OSU and PSU are right in the mix. Porter has B+ speed and B- tackle. He is only C+ at both Man and Zone, but can recognize a play right off the bat with B play recognition. He may be the next Ronnie Lott.... his Hit Power is B-. Just a word to all you freshman WR's.... make sure to look at this guys profile before going across the middle. AMBULANCE!!

4. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

PSU would like to release a statement disclosing that we, as a campus, have NOT pushed forth any funding for the Audi to Mr. Clarke....

In other news, JoePa, PSU's #1 Recruiter, has recently purchased a White Audi A8 with the license plate "WHTOUT"....

5. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

INcredible report man keep up the great work you could work for rivals you write way better than some of there guys

6. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Penn State would like to extend The Ohio State University a "formal" salute to these accusations before the big Ohio State v Penn State game @ Happy Valley. You can not distract us, you will not distract us...

[​IMG]

*This is merely a joke, Penn State is not serious with the above salute*

7. Lee.Flex

Lee.Flex Ducks Fan

Profiles will hopefully be up by tomorrow. Look for a post Edit.

8. Lee.Flex

Lee.Flex Ducks Fan

Both Profiles are up; Check the edited post.

Next Week Profiles -
    Big Ten: Iowa
    Pac 10: Oregon State

9. Lee.Flex

Lee.Flex Ducks Fan

This Week in the PIG 10:

I will be taking a look at "Bottom Feeders" in the recruiting chase. What teams are not getting the premier 5* athletes, but instead are getting some young potential that can grow in the system. I will also be profiling Iowa from the Big Ten and Oregon State in the Pac 10.

All this coming up today on "PIG 10 Weekly".

10. Lee.Flex

Lee.Flex Ducks Fan

PIG 10 WEEKLY

The Flex Five Run Down

1. USC might get the hammer laid down as they are guilty of recruiting infractions..... on what level this will play out in the off-season we are yet to see,.... but one thing is for sure, they are still the #1 Class in the nation.

2. Penn State and Ohio State are fighting for the top Big 10 recruiting class. PSU has a lead with 1 more 5* recruit, but things are far from over. Ohio State still has the big game vs Michigan... and an exciting victory might get some recruits over the edge on committing. On the other hand, an exciting victory for Michigan and some recruits might turn towards Ann Harbor.

3. The "Nike HS" Recruiting game of the week was Minnesota @ Michigan. Michigan came out on top in a close 27-24 victory. This puts Michigan in the drivers seat when it comes to stealing away HS recruits from Wisconsin. Minnesota is still in the hunt, and the game vs Wisconsin in 2 weeks might be a deal breaker for potential recruits.

4. Is the City of Angels recruiting show-down over? Coming off a loss to Stanford, UCLA will need to rebound in 2 weeks vs WSU and then show some heart in USC the week after. USC is hands down the best talent in the PAC 10 and there is no mystery as to why top players want to play there. The recruiting battle was close a few weeks ago,... but now USC is pulling away... BIG TIME!

5. Helloooooooo Northwest!!! Udub is #19 in recruiting, and although they dropped from last week, they are still in great position to grab the NW Recruiting title. Their biggest competition to begin the start of the year was Oregon, but now it looks like Oregon is no where to be found on the top classes list and Oregon State is holding down the #11 Spot. (Oregon is last in the NCAA with no commitments).

Bottom Feeders

Before I get into this, let me first say, with hands down..... the PAC 10 Middle of the road teams are dominating the BIG 10 Middle Teams in recruiting. Recruiting is so bad in the BIG 10, the Miracle Hawkeyes made the "Bottom Feeders" lists when a 5-4 Ohio State team has the #4 class in the Nation. I am expecting some of these teams to really start showing some commitments in the next 2 weeks. If not,... some of you will need to stop going for a Home Run with a Singles and Double's team.

Region: Midwest/NorthEast

1. Wisconsin : Wisconsin has signed (***)OLB C.Kennedy. That is their only signing so far. With a Big game coming up with Minnesota, look for Wisconsin to show up and try to make a statement. So many of their in-state talent is getting hammered by Minnesota and Michigan, they need to show they are a contending team in the region.

2. Iowa : Wheres the beef? Looks like your all cook with no kitchen. Iowa is on a miracle run right now.... but there recruiting doesn't match there performance. Their only signing is (***)DT R.Thomas. If they want to keep this miracle run going into next season their going to need to step up the recruiting effort,.... if a 5-4 Ohio State is signing recruits, there no reason why Iowa should be holding off. I am picking Iowa to represent the Big 10 in the Rose Bowl... hopefully we will see more recruits commit around that time... because this is no miracle, Iowa is for real and HS players need to take notice.

3. Minnesota : They take a big hit with the loss to Michigan, but being on this list isn't always bad.... it's actually never bad (Anything outside of the top 40 and im not looking). They are actively recruiting in Wisconsin and Michigan.... and if Mich falls to OSU, we might not only see Michigan recruits take a better look at Minnesota, but maybe even some Ohio recruits. Talk about a double whammy! Now get to the Rose Bowl and you might get some Southern Cal recruits....

Region: SouthWest / NorthWest

1. Arizona State : With a new coach running the show, expect to see them jump from #26 to top #20. They have signed (****)TE J.Mosby, and with Arizona at 2-6, its safe to say that any part of the southwest not on water is Sun Devil recruiting ground.

2. Washington : Bottom Feeder? Not really, but when you take into consideration that USC has taken all the prestige out of the region, even a team with 4 (***) commitments is at the bottom conference wise. Big time players coming in, (***)QB T.Parrish and (***)RB M.Henderson. Washington already has a strong run game, but now they are preparing for the reload when Locker and Polk decide to leave. Biggest game for them is the Apple Cup vs WSU.... but lets be real, WSU is no competition for Udub this year. Look for them to not only win that game, but sweep the state in recruiting.

3. Oregon State : Possibly the 3rd best in the PAC 10 to this point, its hard to see them competing in the future with USC and UCLA when they can't seem to get 5* recruits. To this point, they have 1(****), 5 (***), 1(**) and 1(*). Although they get a good (****)CB in J.Smith,... they need to work on recruiting 5* players if they want to compete for a PAC 10 championship.

Team Profiles

Iowa
    Record: 9-1
    Last Game: W 41-20 @ NorthWestern

Iowa is on a Rose Bowl run this year. H22 has them @ 10-1 with one game left vs Rugters. I was able get a one on one interview with Iowa Head coach, and heres what we got:

1. Iowa is on an amazing run right now. How has this run effected your recruiting?

Recruiting has actually been incredibly slow. With a rivalry game in week 2, and the one against Wisconsin on the road, a lot of my big time recruits will be visiting this week against Minnesota. We hope to convince a few players that we are the university for them.

2. When you set off to recruit, what needs did you have to meet and did you meet your goals?

I had a few big needs this year. 3 out of 4 defensive linemen are leaving, with only 1 solid replacement. I will also be losing my starters at ROLB and both CB's. My depth at LB is young, but I do have experience at CB. I will be losing a 3 yr starter at QB, with a SR stepping in at that position most likely. Another need position this year is at FB. Both of my FB's were solid, yet rated low. We will hopefully see a change here. So far, I have signed a DT. That was a big signing though.

3. What is the pitch that is getting players interested in Iowa? Is it close to home?, Playing for a top coach? or is it something else?

I try to stay in and around Iowa for my recruits. I also look for development capable recruits, aka 3*. The coaching angle is a big one for me, as I feel I have one of the top coaches in the country running my team. But television exposure is also a large pitch for us. The Big10 Network and our early starts really helps us in the TV coverage department.

4. Who is your biggest recruiting competition and why?

This year, as always, it comes from the north. Minnesota and Wisconsin have been head-hunting my favorites. Also giving me some competition this year is PSU and OSU. I don't know if they are stepping down the ladder, or if I am climbing higher looking at the valued recruits.

5. Who is the biggest name currently on your board; and how close is he to committing?

I will have to get back to you on that one. I believe it is a 4*/5* athlete that is going to be a capable QB in our system.

6. With the schedule you have left, Where do you see Iowa playing in December or January?

At a minimum, somewhere in Florida for a bowl. My preference would be Pasadena for the Rose, but we have some winning to do. And a few other things need to happen. There is an incredibly remote chance of the NC game, but that is way outside our view. As long as we improve over last year, we have achieved our goal.

Oregon State
    Record:5-4
    Last Game: W 17-10 vs Arizona State

Coach Drausus had this team @ 5-4.... but he left mid-season to join his Alma Mater @ the University of Oregon. Corvallis was stunned with the prompt exit... and riot's on campus put Oregon State on a National Spot light for all the wrong reasons. To add fuel to the fire, their next coach DerrrFree quit after just 1 game. They now have Mr2bits as head coach and he is taking over a team with a top 15 recruiting class and a returning Heisman Candidate RB in J.Rodgers. I could not get an interview in this week with the new ball coach, but look for him to have a promising next year with his young team.

11. controllerabuser

Lee, damn good work. I am excited about your recruiting trail reports. Keep up the good work. I will be reading!

12. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Who needs scout and rivals when we got LEE. That was some nice work man.

13. Lee.Flex

Lee.Flex Ducks Fan

Updated:

Iowa profile up, Oregon state review is up.

14. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

Nice write up Lee! Also Jewel Hampton And shonn Greene were 2 star recruit out of HS!

15. Lee.Flex

Lee.Flex Ducks Fan

For my final "PIG 10 Weekly" this season, I will look at Seniors leaving and what Freshman will have to fill their spot.

I will profile each team's Offensive and Defensive "Freshman" weapons. I will try to get inside from all around the Pac/Big 10 to see what the coaches are thinking about their new players and what freshman players we will be hearing a lot about as the season goes on.

Look for this report to follow the off-season and kick off the new season!

16. Lee.Flex

Lee.Flex Ducks Fan

To Early for a good recruiting report..... So The New "Flex Fast Five" is UP!!!

The Flex Fast Five: Who's got the most respect and who are the underdog's working to get some? I looked at the 5 most com-paling teams that will be making their case for some conference respect, and catagorize them as Contender's or Pretenders.

1. Illinois : For real? Averaging over 45 points per game will put them up there.... but there defense gave up 40 to Arizona State and 24 to Western Michigan. The big test will come in weeks 5 and 6, when the Illini will take on #20 Michigan and a tough user game @ Minnesota. So although this team is putting up good numbers.... I am calling this team a PRETENDER Lets see some defense in big games and you will move up... but until then... it looks like it might be a rough road.

2. Notre Dame : Only 1-0 right now, but the golden dome proved they can play with a big user win game vs #21 CAL. Wait a MINUTE! Not so fast my friend. Although their Defense forced 4 turnovers against CAL, they still allowed 366 Yards and their offense only capitalized with 247 Offensive Yards. They only had 50 rushing yards.... and we all know you can't win games without a good run game. His next test will come against EmmdotFrisk @ Washington State. For the time being, this team is a PRETENDER.

3. Ohio State : Could this be the year tOSU makes it to a BCS game and actually WINS? They have started out 2-0, but they have only played Toledo and Akron. Next week does not get any harder with Central Michigan.... and tOSU may have the easiest starting schedules in the Dynasty this year. They will face a test week 4 @ #13 Miami FL, but after that, tOSU doesn't have another big game until week 8 against #14 Wisconsin. His end stretch may be the hardest, with 4/6 user vs user games, and a game vs #20 Michigan. For right now... this team is a PRETENDER, but this team may be a CONTENDER for the Naty Title by the end of the season.

4. Wisconsin : They have already beat up on UNLV and Oregon State. They only allowed 212 total yards and only 97 rush yards to a good Oregon State team. They have Northern Illinois next week, and then their next game is in week #6 against Penn State. If this team can get past Cimmy in week #6, we may be looking at a Rose Bowl Contender. As of right now... this team is a serious CONTENDER. His last 5 games are User vs User games..... so this could change down the road... but for right now, this team is as good as any BIG Ten team.

5. Oregon : Just because this is my team, I will not predict pretender or contender... but I will state some stats and fact and leave it for all of you to decide.

Oregon Has started out the season 3-0, and going back to last year they are 8-0 under coach Drausus. They are averaging 51 points per game, 329 Rush Yards per game and are only allowing an average of 17 points per game and 250 Yards Total Offense per game. This year they have had good wins over Kansas State, Boise State and 1 user game (Washington State). The next 2 weeks they will have tests in UCLA (ryty) and #21 Cal (JD).. after that, their next user game wont be until week 13 @ #2 USC (sdid). So is this team for real? You decide.

17. controllerabuser

Good work as always Lee!

I think I can't classify your team yet. I think for right now, you are a pretender. You beat UCLA & Cal and you quickly become a damn serious contender.

18. NDCOLTS1979

NDCOLTS1979 I love you red solo cup

Oh come on a pretender lol. Yeah its true i am rebuilding the defense as we speak in recruiting. I am just asking for alittle respect for my illini its been alot of rough years lol

19. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

FRISK ON OREGON

EmmDotFrisk on the...

#17 Oregon Ducks:

The Ducks might possibly be the most athletic team in the Pac 10. They've got speed, power, and agility at almost every position. They lead the Pac 10 in offense with an incredible run game. At first glance this team is a serious, no doubt about it CONTENDER. But wait a minute, the Oregon Ducks have the worst defense in the Pac 10 and the #99 worst in the Nation. The Ducks gave up 301 yards of offense to the last placed projected team in the Pac 10, the Washington State Cougars.

So is their offense keeping them in games? Will a team find a solution for Thomas, Shinaba, and James? They will be tested two weeks in a row with tough user games against UCLA and #21 Cal. Depending on how these games play out, Oregon is most definitely a Pac 10 Championship and National Title CONTENDER with Coach Drausus at the helm. If they are really a PRETENDER, they will show their true colors after week 5.