Legends of Saturday Season Game Summaries

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by gowazzucougs, Jul 28, 2011.

1. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

Please Post your game summaries here.

2. Connor

Connor Walk On

Nebraska 28- 20 Air Force

So not a very good start to the season, but a win is a win. I think this is the first game i've played defense, since i've been offensive coordinator in all my other leagues. Why is it so hard to tackle in this game? My guys would hit the runner and he would bounce right off. Even gave up a kick return because of terrible tackling. Had a balanced attack with about even running and passing yards, so I was happy with that. Whoever plays me first in a user v user game, i just hope i get lucky.

3. gowazzucougs

4. Adam B

Adam B Walk On

LSU rolls over Bowling Green 45-7. Solid defensive performance leads to points for the LSU offense. Threw three second half picks or the game would have been a bigger blowout. Need to work on my ball management skills before I play Oregon next week!

5. mikedeep97

mikedeep97 Walk On

The first drive of the season put Alabama fans on edge as the offense started with a three and out. A good punt put Kent State deep in their own territory to start the first drive. After that, the defense stepped up with a clutch interception on the second play from scrimmage leading to the first of many Alabama touchdowns on the day. The defense played well as a unit despite a blown coverage that allowed a late touchdown by the Golden Flashes. All told, good first game as Alabama starts off on the right foot with a solid 35-10 victory.

6. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

Michigan State workmanlike in their victory over ECU 21-3.

Kirk Cousins was an efficient 7-10 passing for 139 yards and a TD, but the story of the game was Edwin Baker's 151 yards and 2 TD's on 26 carries. The pouring rain also played a key roll in limiting ECU's passing attack to 68 yards on 17 attempts.

7. gowazzucougs

UNLV 24
    Wisconsin 14

Really do not ask what happened. It was a frustrating morning at my house. It took me 30 minutes to connect to XBox Live. My modem/router did not want to work properly this morning. Then once I got connected and got into the game, I again lost the connection. Then Russell Wilson played like crap throwing I believe 3 interceptions, and fumbling on a scramble right before the end of the half. All in all it was frustrating, my team and I will play better next week.

8. Darkwing

Darkwing One Nation Under God

[​IMG]
    The Devils Calling
    2011 ARIZONA STATE FOOTBALL
    WEEK 1​

Defense Sets Tone Early as Sun Devils Survive Late Rally
    A 27-20 Road Victory Provides Ideal Learning Opportunities and Momentum in Coach Nixon's 1st Win

Scoring Summary
    First Quarter
    4:04 TD ASU 34 yard Interception Return by Bolden
    1:12 FG ASU 25 yard, Garoutte

Second Quarter
    2:32 TD ASU 6 yard run by Fulton
    0:16 FG Zips 23 yard, Fox

Third Quarter
    3:16 FG Zips 34 yard, Fox
    0:24 FG ASU 33 yard, Garoutte

Fourth Quarter
    4:26 TD ASU 43 yard pass from Osweiler to Pflugrad​
    2:30 TD Zips 24 yard pass from Moore to Procter
    2:08 TD Zips 60 yard pass from Nicely to Greschl

Box Score
    [​IMG] @[​IMG]
    1st Downs 8 8
    Total Offense 176 233
    Passing 94 230
    Rushing 82 3
    Turnovers 1 1
    Possession 8:33 11:27

Player of the Game
    Vontaze Burfict MLB - 9 Total Tackles, 4 TFL, 3 Sacks

Notes
    Like Connor said, "A win is a win". For the most part it was a very solid game by the Sun Devils as they established a ground attack and played stingy defense. Omar Bolden CB started the season off in dramatic fashion with his pick 6. From there, Coach Nixon's methodical gameplan sought to drain down the clock and escape The King's hometown with that much needed W.
    The offense was subpar as the passing game never took off, a disappointment that will be addressed before an extremely tough matchup next week with B1G preseason favorite Wisconsin. One bright spot was RB Marshall playing like the offensive captain. The "Blackout" defense played beyond expectations with the ability to pressure the Akron QB and make plays aside from the 4th quarter lapse.
    This game has provided a few teaching areas that will need to be fixed in order for the Sun Devils to compete for a Pac-12 crown. But first the Badgers come to the desert next Saturday and will provide the ultimate test in determining this team's capabilities. Coach Nixon is confident his team will give the National Title contenders a battle.

9. Connor

Connor Walk On

I'm glad we have good perspective

10. mikedeep97

mikedeep97 Walk On

Week Two Sees the Tide Improve to 2-0...

[​IMG] vs. [​IMG]

Alabama survives an early barrage from the Stanford Cardinal to escape with a 38-14 victory. Andrew Luck started the game on fire completing four of his first five passes for 133 yards and two touchdowns. Before all the fans had taken their seats, the Crimson Tide was staring at a 14-0 deficit in a hostile environment. Alabama's first three possessions yeilded very little yardage and 0 points.

The Bama defense settled in throughout the first quarter and stiffened to begin the second quarter. A Darrington Sentimore sack early in the 2nd lead to a quick three-and-out. It was the first of four sacks on the day by Sentimore. On the ensuing punt return, Marquise Maze caught a lane and returned the punt for 26 yards out to the Alabama 49 yard line. The big return by the Alabama senior set up the first score enroute to 38 unanswered Tide points.

In the win Alabama's thin recruiting corps took a hit ith the loss of (RS)Sr., Darius Hanks, to a broken finger. Hanks will likely miss a couple games with the injury to his hand. The Tide also saw Trent Richardson sidelined after 20 carries for 90 yards. A hard hit sent him to the showers early with a mild concussion. Richardson is not expected to miss any time due to the injury.

(stats are showing from the wrong game so can't post)

11. Adam B

Adam B Walk On

LSU makes a late rally today behind POTG Michael Ford (29 carries, 211 yards, 2 TD; 5 rec, 58 yards). QB Jordan Jefferson was benched after throwing his 4th pick of the game, 7th of the season. When asked about Jefferson's struggles, Les Miles was quoted as saying "Whoever is on the sticks right now is getting his ass kicked, maybe he should run the ball..."

Thankfully I listened and outscored Oregon 14-0 in the 4th to take home a 24-13 victory over the Ducks.

12. Darkwing

[​IMG]
    The Devils Calling

WEEK 2​
    Setup! In the Desert
    Turns Out, They Are Who We Thought They Were...Wisconsin rolls to a 28-0 Shutout
    Scoring Summary
    First Quarter
    3:44 TD WISC 84 yard pass from Wilson to Pedersen
    1:41 TD WISC 3 yard run by Ball

Second Quarter

Third Quarter
    3:55 TD WISC 47 yard pass from Wilson to Abbrederis

Fourth Quarter
    6:58 TD WISC 3 yard run by Ewing​

Box Score
    [​IMG]@[​IMG]
    Score 28 0
    1st Downs 10 6
    Total Offense 320 140
    Total Yards 350 288
    Passing 238 77
    Yards per Pass 14.9 5.9
    Rushing 82 63
    Yards per Carry 2.8 2.9
    Turnovers 0 3
    Possession 14:35 13:25

Player of the Game
    James Brooks LE - 5 Total Tackles, 3 TFL, 2 Sacks

Notes
    Let's Just say Coach Nixon is pissed about this one. He knew Wisconsin had the setup after that shocking lost to UNLV last week. It was obvious by the performance today that the pleas of how great this opponent was fell on deaf ears or that the players didn't want to get out of bed. The defense battled once again and despite the stats, due to 2 big passing plays, did their part. But once again the offense was nowhere to be found. Credit goes out to Coach Cougs on his defense. However, this offense needs to start playing big because trust you me change will be coming soon. Maybe now this team will learn to listen to their coach and show every opponent respect.

"This kind of crap isn't what I came here to build a program on or coach, and I'm embarrassed today for these student athletes that they played heartless football. It's bullshit to see boys playing without any damn pride what-so-ever. I'm not even worried about football anymore, I need to find some men on my team." - Coach Nixon

13. ndfootball23

ndfootball23 Walk On

[​IMG][​IMG]
    31|14

Toledo - Ohio State started off the season with win, defeating the Rockets 31-14. OSU was lead by their star running back Dan Herron, who recorded over 150 yards rushing and two touchdowns. The defense looked to be the weakness in this opening game, allowing a few long drives, including a 74 yard touchdown pass. The Buckeyes look to improve their defense in the next game at Tulsa.

14. gowazzucougs

good game, I finally broke the snide, I had lost like 5 games in a row against the CPU and other users. In looking at the game those turnovers really, hurt plus I got some big pass plays that helped out as well. Wisconsin's rush defense is just unreal, I played against them in another league and just couldn't run the ball.

15. Darkwing

Yes it was a good game. Not happy to hear I broke your losing streak :oops: Also your 4th quarter goal line stand was frustrating, after that I ran out the clock with you because you deserved that shutout.

16. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

Michigan St. comes up short against Florida!

A late touchdown run by Florida's Jeffrey Demps seals Michagan State's fate. Despite controlling most of the action throughout the game, Florida managed only a second half field goal before Demps' run to put the Gators up by 13. Though the Spartans were able to get back within seven, luck was not on their side as the onside kick was successfully recovered by Florida.

After a scoreless first quarter, Florida controlled the game on the strength of a two big plays. A 66 yard pass from John Brantley to Chris Rainey put the Gators up seven early in the second quarter. On the ensuing possession, Michigan State's Kirk Cousins was picked off by Jeremy Brown who was able to return the interception for a score. The Spartans regrouped to tie the game at 14 late in the second quarter, but the emotional toll of playing catch-up was too much and gave up a demoralizing field goal before the end of the half.

Jeremy Brown received Player Of The Game honors as he intercepted Cousins two times in the game, while Jeffrey Demps contributed 68 yards on 15 carries. For the Spartans, Edwin Baker was again a workhorse as he kept Michigan State in the game with 91 yards on 20 attempts and 2 total TDs.

1 2 3 4 F
    #13 MSt 0 14 0 7 21
    #18 FLA 0 17 3 7 27

Scoring Summary

Second Quarter

05:39 TD - Florida
    Chris Rainey WR #3 66 yard pass from John Brantley QB #12
    04:00 TD - Florida
    Jeremy Brown CB #8 43 yard interception
    01:09 TD - Michigan State
    Brian Linthicum TE #88 3 yard pass from Kirk Cousins QB #8
    00:55 TD - Michigan State
    Edwin Baker HB #4 8 yard rush
    00:27 FG - Florida
    Caleb Sturgis K #19 41 yard field goal

Third Quarter
    04:05 FG - Florida
    Caleb Sturgis K #19 20 yard field goal

Forth Quarter
    01:14 TD - Florida
    Jeffrey Demps HB #2 6 yard rush
    00:25 TD - Michigan State
    Edwin Baker HB #4 3 yard pass from Kirk Cousins QB #8

17. Adam B

Adam B Walk On

Solid road victory today by the #3 LSU Tigers as they take down #13 Mississippi State. Hard fought game on both sides, but LSU's defense stepped up in the second half, not allowing a single point.

Heisman hopeful Michael Ford rushed for over 100 yards and 2 touchdowns before being injured in the 3rd quarter. 2nd string running back DJ Wilson filled in for the injured Ford and managed to make a name for himself, rushing for over 100 yards on 12 carries, along with a 43 yard touchdown run. Les Miles thoughts on DJ Wilson's performance, "All season we've tried to establish a 'next guy in line' philosophy. Anyone on the sidelines should be ready to step up and play at any time. DJ did that today, and we'll be looking to establish him in our offense more often."

18. Darkwing

[​IMG]
    The Devils Calling

WEEK 3​
    Broken...
    The Struggles Continue For ASU As They Drop Their Second Straight in a 39-37 Last Second Gut-Wrencher to Arkansas
    Scoring Summary
    First Quarter
    4:14 FG ASU 32 Yards, Garoutte
    0:24 FG ARK 52 Yards, Hocker

Second Quarter
    5:36 TD ASU 4 Yard Run by Marshall
    1:35 FG ASU 37 Yards, Garoutte
    0:24 FG ARK 19 Yards, Hocker
    Third Quarter
    4:05 TD ARK 50 Yard Pass from Wilson to Childs

2:59 FG ASU 41 Yards, Garoutte
    0:39 TD ARK 11 Yard Run by Davis
    Fourth Quarter
    6:53 TD ASU 36 Yard Pass from Osweiler to Willie​
    5:12 TD ASU 9 Yard Pass from Osweiler to Robinson​
    4:37 TD ARK 73 Yard Run by Davis
    4:05 TD ASU 33 Yard Pass from Osweiler to Robinson​
    3:00 TD ARK 1 Yard Run by Tate
    1:39 SAFETY on ASU
    0:01 FG ARK 18 Yards, Hocker

Box Score
    [​IMG]@[​IMG]
    Score 37 39
    1st Downs 15 14
    Total Offense 365 420
    Total Yards 580 641
    Passing 305 260
    Yards per Pass 6.8 9.3
    Rushing 60 160
    Yards per Carry 2.6 4.2
    Turnovers 3 1
    Possession 12:23 15:36

Player of the Game
    Bo Moos DT - 4 Total Tackles, 3 TFL, 2 Sacks, FF, FR

Notes
    In a 180 turn of emotion, Coach Nixon couldn't be more proud of his team. Despite the outcome the Sun Devils played with an edge and an attitude that can only be associated with winners. What really stings from this contest is that the offense finally produced 300 passing yards and was successful on 58% of 3rd down conversions yet it wasn't enough. For the 1st half the defense was solid as it has been so far this season, not giving up much over 100 yards. The 2nd half was a different story. Fatigue played a major role along with some missed assignments as Knile Davis gashed around through and over the backbone of this team. However, the Arkansas pass defense kept ASU in the game, in fact, the Tempe natives led by 10 with 3 minutes to go. In a twist of bad luck an Arkansas punt pinned ASU inside the 1 yard line with less than 2 minutes left in the game even though the ball was resting on the goal line. Of course on 3rd down the worst happened as a sack was the cause of the safety; putting Arkansas only down 1 with possession of the pigskin. From there they proceeded to march down the field chewing up the clock to set up the game winning field goal. Hocker hit the 18 yard kick after being frozen by Coach Nixon from the left hash and the rest is history.

Look for the Sun Devils to play inspired ball again next week as they open Pac-12 play against MazzMan56's USC Trojans in Sun Devil Stadium. The key areas of focus that need to be fixed for next week are a constant defensive effort, eliminating the generous amounts of turnovers, and hiring Jerry Rice to be a receivers coach! 9 dropped passes is a bit ridiculous

19. mikedeep97

mikedeep97 Walk On

Defensive Struggle in Lincoln ends with Alabama win, 14-0.

To say that offense was hard to come by would be an understatement. Both teams struggled to find offense throughout the day. Alabama scored an early touchdown on a 4 yard FB dive up the gut three minutes into the first quarter. The play was set up by the first of three Taylor Martinez interceptions. The Crimson Tide was unable to get much of any traction the rest of the first half but the defense didn't give way keeping the Nebraska Cornhuskers from crossing the 50 in the first half.

Nebraska had success on the ground at times but was unable to string together successful plays. Big runs would be followed up with dropped passes or missed blocking assignments. The Blackshirt Defense was stout against the run but was unable to take advantage of multiple errant passes dropping two sure interceptions that could have changed the outcome of the game.

Nebraska's best offensive assualt came with four minutes left in the 4th. On a fourth down and 6, Taylor Martinez scrambled right after shaking off a Darrington Sentimore sack and picked up 35 yards before sliding down at the Alabama 15. Nebraska's coach was overheard saying he was going to put a drive together before the series and the team was looking poised to oblige. The following play saw Martinez complete a 11 yard out to Curenski Guillyen to give them first and goal from inside the five. But again, the Alabama players bailed out the coaches by coming up with a great interception in the endzone.

Alabama's offense has been underwhelming this season and may become the achillies heel of a very talented Tide squad.

20. Connor

Connor Walk On

Fun game, got to work on gaining yards and scoring.

21. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

Though loss. I couldn't imagine scoring that many points only to come up just short.

22. mikedeep97

mikedeep97 Walk On

Definitely a fun game... Good game... Would have been nice if our offenses decided to show up, though. :)

I tried to save pictures and that late scramble by Martinez but the EA system/server logged me out somehow so I couldn't save any highlights. Everyone I tried to access the save option it told me I had to log in... Whack.

23. gowazzucougs

#17 Auburn 24
    #22 Wisconsin 27

Wisconsin scored the first 10 points of this game and appeared to have the game under control, but the offense stalled in the second quarter allowing Auburn to get back into the game. While Wisconsin struggled on offense in the second quarter, Auburn started moving the ball. Auburn scored 10 points in the second quarter, then added a touchdown in the third quarter to take the lead. Wisconsin would respond with a solid drive ending with a Montee Ball two yard TD run. In the fourth quarter Wisconsin would take the lead back with a James White 12 yard TD run. Auburn would not quit scoring a TD of their own with less than five minutes remaining in the game. Then after both teams punted the ball, Wisconsin marched down the field with a little over two minutes remaining in the game. Their drive ended with Philip Welch field goal with only seconds remaining.

24. ndfootball23

ndfootball23 Walk On

Ohio State 35 @ Tulsa 14

Tulsa OK - Ohio State records its second win tonight, defeating Tulsa 35-14. The game looked to be a blowout early, with Dan Herron leading the Buckeyes to an easy score on the first drive. Ohio State intercepted a pass on the next drive, but was unable to score. The defense of Tulsa held strong, holding the Buckeys to 132 yards in the first half, including only 46 on the ground. Tulsa soon rebounded, scoring on a long touchdown pass, and tying the game at 7. On the following kickoff, 6'7 wideout Tyrone Williams returned the kickoff for a score, making the score 14-7 at half. The second half was a completely different story, with Haron leading the buckeyes to two more scores, andBauserman throwing for another. Herron finished the game with 254 yard and 3 touchdowns, which should catapult his name into the Heisman race. In two games Herron has 406 yards and 5 touchdowns. Next for Ohio Sate is Colorado, which will be the first challenge of the season.

25. Connor

Connor Walk On

Nebraska Gain Confidence With Big Win
    Today Nebraska won 38-7 vs. Mississippi State. The win gives Nebraska confidence as they were finally able to move the ball down field and score. In a surprise turn of events, their production actually came from the QB instead of the HB. QB Taylor Martinez decided he wanted to compete for the heisman this year. Martinez had a passer rating of 225.4! He completed 20 out of 24 passes for 312 yards and 3 passing touchdowns. He also added 75 yards on 6 carries for 2 touchdowns to make 5 total touchdowns on the day. The only sore spot in his day was one interception.