Let’s Talk X’s and O’s – Man vs Zone Defense (The Good, bad and Ugly)

Discussion in 'Cradle to Grave' started by uagrad90, Jul 29, 2013.

1. uagrad90

uagrad90 Walk On

In this discussion we will be looking at base coverage’s (minus the blitz which will be another topic). With recent discussions on “zones being screwed up” and “man is too effective” what better topic to get started on than man vs zone coverage’s. With how EA has implemented coverage’s in this game what is your approach to calling coverage’s. What guidelines do you use in determining what coverage you will run in a certain situation? Do you vary you play calling based on who you are playing and what their tendencies are?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Great topic....

It seems like from game to game for whatever reason, my guys are better at either coverage. I think the matchup mechanism might be what is effecting their abilities in the coverages. I have a very good group of corners and they get beat in both coverages repeatedly. However, when they are on, they blanket everything in either coverage. Momentum may also be a factor because when I get picks early it seems like we have a pretty decent game in the secondary. I try to call my coverages to personnel group first. Then when I see formation , I will make an adjustment. There are certain coverages I like vs trips, twins, and empty sets. This mirrors how I called my defense in real life. To me the biggest thing I need to work on is getting better at usering the players. I see stuff unfold and try to jump plays and the decision is right but my stick skills dont make it happen.

Matchups - IRL some games Id tell my guys we are playing Dude coverage the whole game. That means, I know my dudes are better than your dudes and were locking down man to man all game. I dont do that in NCAA because I like to give different looks. But you need to do your homework, know who the team likes to get the ball to. In game notice what routes they are relying on and what player they are trying to force it to (everyone does it). Use your defensive adjustments and switch who is playing where to gain back some ground in having your guy covering their best guy or go to guy.

Running game also effects coverages- If someone is running all the option stuff, and your front 7 is struggling to make stops, you almost have to be in zone. That allows your secondary to view the backfield and be able to support in the run game.

Another thing is you have to call coverages that match your ability to get pressure on the QB. These work hand in hand. I always told my DBs the DLine is your best friends. THE DL coach would tell his guys those DB's are your best friends. If you dont have a hint of a pass rush, you will get killed in zone and eventually those guys will get open even in man.

I spent 8 yrs of my life coaching DB's. The awareness of the safeties is just not good. This year it is better than last but its still pretty bad. Also in zone you see guys covering grass all the time, which is against my religion. Also the Corners dont read the right WR a lot of the time when they have 2-3 WR's to their side. Their drops should be based on reading the route of the inside WR and having a feel for what the guy in front of them does while reading the inside WR until their route tells them what to do.

The point of zone is to be able to see the ball thrown more and be able to help on complimentary route combinations that usually cause confusion and create advantages vs man.

On offense make adjustments. You see a guy trying to press you all the time or playing man all the time you have the right to call route combinations to make them change. I like to switch things up and I think that is the most effective way to play the game.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

Covering grass...lol. Yes, that is definitely an issue.

• Like Like x 2
  4. thebouncer24

thebouncer24 Cheese Like MG

wow, don't think i can follow up diddy but i'll spill my two cents

Defense is all about knowing who you're playing and how they are playing, it's no secret that the more you play someone and learn about them it's easier to play D against them. Take for instance last night I played pitt4life21 , he has his team on a roll but was slowed down vs me. That's simply because I know him a lot better than some. I played him 2 and sometimes 3 times a season in HK. So my defensive plan was set, now in last nights game I had to make adjustments because he was running all over me. Which leads me to my next point of learning how to adjust in game. This is one thing that I am weak in. I can pick up on trends and how they are playing but I seem to have an issue of how to stop it. Again take last night for instance, Pitt was able to run on me and I was just watching him run on me as I sit there scratching my head on how to stop it. I slowed it down towards the end by actually stopping him in the backfield a couple times and meeting him at the line.

But as far as man vs zone, it just depends on the flow of the game. I personally don't see either being dominate in this game and like Diddy81 said, it's kind of random on which works better.

• Like Like x 1
  5. pitt4life21

pitt4life21 RTJR!

I try to mix it up 50-50 zone works well for me when I know when a pass is coming man to man press seems too well in this game I try to only use this when its really needed. I think I am a good adjuster only when I face a unstoppable guy like Duke Johnson is when I struggle.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Man can be exploited easily unless your guys arent better than their guys..... If thats the case then hit the recruiting trail.

7. uagrad90

uagrad90 Walk On

I approach playing defense based upon who I am as facing (use or CPU) and I call plays differently based upon that. Of course we all have the knowledge we have gained from facing someone on a regular basis, but I like to scout who I play because they could change what they do or I may not play them much. I look a QB completion % and the average yards per completion as well as the average for the WR to get a feel for what they like to do. I also lok at who they like to throw to which also gives me an idea of what I am going to face. Doing this I feel gives me an idea if a guy likes to throw short or deep and I plan accordingly. But I also like to try and disguises what I am doing on the field. Make man look like zone and/or zone look like man. Also I like to at times use last minute changes as the offense adjusts to keep them off balance. Then at times I don't change a thing. Its all about playing that chess game and putting doubt into the other persons head and adjusting on the fly. I have gone into games planning to run a good balance of zone and man only to adjust because of what I am seeing and getting during the game. Now if I see I can shut down an offense by being base and vanilla I'm not about to crank up the crazy blitzes and give up cheap scores.

But without a doubt I think this year one of the bigger factors is the "Jimmies and the Joes". More times than not the better talent will prevail, as it should. There are things I can do with Alabama that I can not even think about with Air Force. Ive tried and it was not pretty.

• Like Like x 2
  8. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

I base my defensive play calling pretty much beforehand. I need to get back to scouting the team's strengths and weaknesses which used to help a lot. I played football but I am no where near a guru like Diddy81 or Ryty. I was a receiver so that is all I cared about. I base my coverage off what the offensive sets are and who is on the field. I always look to see if the opposing offense has any speed because I will try to key on that. I also base them off the down and yardage needed. Lastly, I adjust to who the offense is mainly throwing to. Because like what Diddy said above, people will tend to look more for 1-2 people or play. I always try to force the offense to do what they're uncomfortable with. If it is a running team, I will try to stuff their run to make them pass more. The same goes for passing teams.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

Yeah - diddy's forgot more about football than I know. Probably wouldn't put me in the same sentence with him. :)

10. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

This. Too many times people play the "cheese card" when someone runs man frequently. Bottom line - if you don't adjust to what the other user is doing, why should they have to adjust to you?

• Like Like x 2
  11. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Please we are borthers somehow some way.....

• Like Like x 1
  12. controllerabuser

I agree.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BG

BG On The Rize!

The only problem I have with this is if I continue to see the same coverage over and over, I'm going to adjust my routes accordingly. If that means throwing quick outs, slants and curl routes the entire game, there won't be any problem with that either, right?

• Like Like x 2
  14. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

Yep - there shouldn't be. If the user sticks with man after getting beat over and over, it isn't your fault.

• Like Like x 2
  15. BG

BG On The Rize!

To add my 2 cents about the whole man vs zone thing. I'm primarily a zone guy. I always have been and probably always will be. I will throw some man in there from time to time when I think your not expecting it, but thats about it. Now, saying that, I can read offensive routes and diagnose a play pretty quickly, but the problem I am having with the zone is when your guy is in a cover 3 (at regular depth which is about 7 yds of the ball), and he still just lets the WR run right past him, thats almost indefensable (dont know if thats the correct spelling or not). I really like the cover 2 because it helps on the run as well as the pass, but again, more times than not, the corners will "jump" routes leaving large amounts of the field wide open. Like Diddy81 said, I choose a defense and make adjustments based on your formation. There are weaknesses and strengths in all defenses. It just depends on how you want to play it. I have noticed that by playing zone, teams have to play more disciplined. This means that they have to drive down the field and make exact throws and be patient throughout the course of the series. Playing man is high risk, high reward. If your guy is good enough to make one man miss, then most times the result on the play is going to be huge, but if the throw is off in any way, then the opposing db will more than likely pick it off. So........pick your poison!

• Like Like x 2
  16. controllerabuser

Yes, you are very good at diagnosing a play pretty quickly. Almost too good, frustrating at times ;)

• Like Like x 2
  17. controllerabuser

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1