Let’s Talk X’s and O’s – Man vs Zone Defense (The Good, bad and Ugly)

Discussion in 'Zeros to Heroes' started by uagrad90, Jul 29, 2013.

1. uagrad90

uagrad90 Walk On

In this discussion we will be looking at base coverage’s (minus the blitz which will be another topic). With recent discussions on “zones being screwed up” and “man is too effective” what better topic to get started on than man vs zone coverage’s. With how EA has implemented coverage’s in this game what is your approach to calling coverage’s. What guidelines do you use in determining what coverage you will run in a certain situation? Do you vary you play calling based on who you are playing and what their tendencies are?

2. bbrech0610

bbrech0610 Walk On

To answer truthfully, I have found that when playing the CPU, I have found that regardless of my approach to calling coverages, it never works. I suppose man works more frequently than zone does, so I tend to call more man coverage plays when playing the CPU.

Playing a human is very different. Yes, zone coverage tends to be messed up from time to time but it does offer a good look, particularly if you are expecting your opponent to throw quickly. From my few games in NCAA 14, it seems far more difficult for a human to breakdown the disguise of a zone defense than it does for the CPU.

I generally let the offense dictate the coverages I am calling throughout the game. I will try to find tendencies and call coverages accordingly.

3. uagrad90

uagrad90 Walk On

I approach playing defense based upon who I am as facing (use or CPU) and I call plays differently based upon that. Of course we all have the knowledge we have gained from facing someone on a regular basis, but I like to scout who I play because they could change what they do or I may not play them much. I look a QB completion % and the average yards per completion as well as the average for the WR to get a feel for what they like to do. I also lok at who they like to throw to which also gives me an idea of what I am going to face. Doing this I feel gives me an idea if a guy likes to throw short or deep and I plan accordingly. But I also like to try and disguises what I am doing on the field. Make man look like zone and/or zone look like man. Also I like to at times use last minute changes as the offense adjusts to keep them off balance. Then at times I don't change a thing. Its all about playing that chess game and putting doubt into the other persons head and adjusting on the fly. I have gone into games planning to run a good balance of zone and man only to adjust because of what I am seeing and getting during the game. Now if I see I can shut down an offense by being base and vanilla I'm not about to crank up the crazy blitzes and give up cheap scores.

But without a doubt I think this year one of the bigger factors is the "Jimmies and the Joes". More times than not the better talent will prevail, as it should. There are things I can do with Alabama that I can not even think about with Air Force. Ive tried and it was not pretty.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ChaoticUT

ChaoticUT Life is Orange and White!

I always thought the golden rule was to blitz with man when your pissed off then play zone after you get burned.

• Like Like x 4
  5. maij17

maij17 PSN: MAIJ17

Blitz, Blitz, Blitz, oh shit, Zone Blitz, Blitz then 3rd and Long I send 6

• Like Like x 1