Lets be Constructive

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by whygodwhy1111, Nov 2, 2010.

1. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

Starting a new thread to avoid the cloud of smug in the other.

If anyone is unhappy about how gameplay is going, speak up. This league/game is suppose to be fun, and I want everyone to have fun so the league last a long time. The league is what we make it, so lets be constructive and hopefully we can all make it what we want it to be.

I can not speak for the rest of the league, but if anyone has reasonable points of emphasis or gameplay requests that fall outside the standard guidelines let them be known and I will agree to do my very best to match your desired playstyle.

To start things off, why don't we discuss defensive strategy and what is a good mix of playcalling.

feel free to give a general range on these:

What % mix of zone vs man would you like to see?
    What % mix of blitz would you like to see?
    What % mix of bump would you like to see?

Is matching DBs to WR a good way to go, or should it pretty much always be base defense on first and second down regardless of the offensive set?

Should defensive play calling change based on an offense struggling against a certain type of play or should the general % of play calling distribution be maintained regardless of how the offense is doing?

2. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

I dont understand the problem. You can run whatever defense you like as long as its sim. We all know man coverage is better in this years version buts its still beatable. I dont want to start saying you can play man coverage 50% of the time and only run bump coverage every 4th play and things like that. I know this thread was started because someone quit who was not happy with the overall game play. I know ive been more absent lately but that is because my work block the damn site. So I get home and take care of kids, play my games and then try and get on here to make sure all is well.

As long as everyone is having fun, im good. If you are not having fun, than maybe this isnt the league for you.

3. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

I was not saying that we should have % in the rules for gameplay. That would be impossible. I just wanted to see if anyone had pereferences (even if that is no preference), mostly for myself so I can improve the experience for my opponents (maybe others are interested in doing the same).

hmm... Now that I think about it, I doubt anything constructive would come out of those questions. Its just in my nature to over analyse things, and I crave data :)

Apologies for making a mess of the forum.

4. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

No apologies necessary...i see where you are headed with this, its just a slippery slope. One guy is upset and quits and we try to fix everything. I've been there and done that. As long as everyone is having fun and getting their games in, im a happy commish :)

5. uscsux

uscsux Walk On

As stated %'s would be impossible. I agree that a sim-like game is the most important. In some games as in real life a team may be heavy in man coverage if the opposing team is struggling to beat it. That is a sim in my opinion because that would happen in real life. On the offensive side a team may run more than pass because the defense can't stop the run. For example UCLA run's the pistol and the majority of their plays are run.

In my opinion running the ball and passing the ball roughly 50% of the time is not the definition of a sim. Does this happen in real life? Sure it does. Is it realistic? No, teams will do what they need to do to win. I think the "abuse" of running or passing the ball comes when you exploit a hole in your oppenents defense and continually run the same play over and over again. I have not seen this in the league and I am not aware of anyone who does it. There has never been anything that I have seen that has ruined a game for me. If I had to complain it would be people pitching the ball after contact. I think this is something that most people do, but the game does not pitch the ball early even if you try. This happened to me twice in user games when I tried to pitch the ball before contact and it didn't do it. I apologized and the people I played against understood and didn't have problem with it.

During my user games everyone has been respectful of the rules that have been put into place.

6. MexiRican35

MexiRican35 ┬┐Te quieres naranjas?

I have not had a problem with any user games. I feel that people dont run zone that much cause, lets face it, the zone d is completely broke in the game. The defender just runs to a part of the field designated and sits. In my days of high school ball, we ran zone a majority of the time. We were taught to read the routes of the receivers and, based on the number of receivers on your side, to follow a certain route based on the zone your in. CB would have deep, and the nickel back would cover short routes (ins, stops, and look for crossing routes). This doesnt happen in the game, as constantly a defender in a zone will let a receiver fly by him, allowing the catch. Sometimes they dont even attempt to knock the ball down. Point being, why run zone when it is mostly likely to fail. If you see a person running a lot of routes into the flats, then run a zone to the flats. Otherwise, run what is going to work for your defense.

7. Jayrah

Jayrah AllCougdUp.com Editor - A.M. avatar Guru

I've had some major problems with other users. Let me explain: They are all finding flaws in my team and beating me :(.

No but seriously no real problems. Actually I play zone a good percentage of time. It doesn't work great a lot of the time, but when it does it pays pretty good. I have been paying more attention to base defenses than in the past as well.

Listen, I have loved playing every user game with the exception of the drubbing I took at the hands of Oklahoma last year. Like a few of you have alluded to, the difference between user strategies and play style has kept it fresh. I literally haven't played the same game twice, and I've never felt as if I wanted a player to do anything differently, due to a specific play style being too much one way or the other.