Let's be sure we're all in the right place.

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by Archie Griffin, May 22, 2009.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Let's be sure we're all in the right place.

[​IMG]

Hey guys,

I have something I want to put out there for discussion.

I'm not sure we all understand what kind of league this is intended to be. Basically, my reason for starting it is to get away from all the day-to-day, week-to-week trouble that came with the commish job last year. I want to play, do the Buckeye thing, punch out articles on my blog and on the TF site - in short, to play one really good league instead of three or four average ones.

Most of us have been playing together for a long time. I like that. However, many of us have also missed a number of deadlines, gone through dry spells, and simply vanished for periods of time. In the past, it's been tolerated. Going forward, I'm just going to dump people in favor of more active guys. Seniority is the only thing keeping some of us around. A few of us, frankly, should already be gone.

This isn't me saying this guy or that guy isn't "good enough." It's not like that at all. My point is that this league is going to have a particular style, a style that many of you have not yet demonstrated a particular interest in. It's not a matter of good or bad; it's a matter of who fits and who doesn't.

Here's what I'm asking: If you think this kind of setup might not be your thing, but you're hanging around because you have been here for a long time, I'd hate to see you without a home when I remove you and give your spot to someone else because you've gone and done the same thing you did last year. Last year's stuff isn't going to happen again. I just thought I'd say that so we're all on the same page. I'd rather prevent that by placing you in the East or West, perhaps in a leadership position, where the style of play will allow you more time to play in other leagues, demand less time on the blogs and such, and so on. Do any of you think the East or West might be a better fit for you?

It's not going to be like last year at all. I don't want anyone to get bent out of shape when things don't go like last year, when we pretty much gave guys as many chances as they asked for. It's not like we're going to run under some unbending set of rules - it's more like we're going to identify guys who don't really want to be around, and we're going to remove them without going through the whole "my bad guys. It won't happen again" stuff.

This is not one of those "guys need to do more" kinds of things. I'm not complaining about activity at all. Technically, this is the off-season. Workouts are optional. However, when things get rolling, I don't want guys to put in three good months and fall off the map, or just show up to play their games. I think we all know that three or four of us are going to do that. I'd rather those guys move now rather than bog down the league later. I'll do everything I can to see that you get the teams you want. I'll ask guys to move out of your way. I won't force anyone, though.

This is not a complaint. It's just an appeal, and a bit of a warning. I just want things to run smoothly, and getting the right fit is a huge part of that. The East and West are good leagues, and will run much like the old OFFL did back in the day. If you want things to go like last year, those leagues are where you want to be. The E-League is going to be something else, and I'm not sure if we all really want what we have. Better to fix that problem now, while spots in the East and West are still there.

Thanks,

AG

2. JOEDESIGNS

JOEDESIGNS Walk On

Understood. Hey I posted a second blog...can anyone see it on my page because I can't.

3. Razcalking1978

Razcalking1978 OFFL TeamBuilder Commish

Things to think about. Sorry AMP, not showing up for me either.

4. Juggernautblitz

Juggernautblitz Carbon glutton

I will be working on upgrading my blog this week.

5. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Well, we finally have all the blogs up and attached to the main blog page. So, the structure is in place. Now it's just a matter of tweaking the blogs so they look how we all want them to look, and then we shoudl be able to post quickly and often.

My "vision" if I can be pretentious enough to call it that, is of a kind of interactive season that goes beyond the other kinds of leagues. If it's done right, we can get a lot out of a little. For example, most of my posts have about half the words of this forum post to this point. An image, maybe a link or two, perhaps a vid, but very little text. The less writing we have to do, the more posts we will put up, the more often we will update, and the more stuff we as a league have to display. I'll pull stuff from the blogs and post it on TF, and we will officially be a unique league. I've seen a blog or two used by a guy who wants to post stuff about his team, but I have never seen an entire league operating like we are about to. I think it's going to create more than a few copycats. And we'll be able to say we were the first.

Let's get some preseason stuff up when we can. I just saw that ND and Army are going to play in Yankee Stadium. A couple blogs might be interested in that tidbit. Me, I'm probably going to post something about Justin Boren, the Michigan O-Lineman who transferred to OSU. Might as well start the hype early.

AG

6. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

AG,

How do I post the top label for my blog? I want to get a BAMA pic of some sort on the top.

I am really bad at this stuff right now.

7. JOEDESIGNS

JOEDESIGNS Walk On

Click on the link of my sig...yeaaaaaa.

8. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I just thought I'd bump this since we're getting close. I'll be opening up a spot later today.