Let's get to the debate that matters most . . .

Discussion in 'Hard Knocks' started by Diddy81, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

All-Time Quarterbacks​
    [​IMG]
    Lets here it​

Do you list by skill or success, its up to you.​

2. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

This is harder than I thought​
    1. John Elway​
    2. Joe Montana​
    3. Tom Brady​
    4. Johnny Unitas​
    5. Peyton Manning​
    6. Dan Marino​
    7. Steve Young​
    8. Brett Favre​
    9. Terry Bradshaw​
    10. Otto Graham​
    11. Sammy Baugh​
    12. Roger Staubach​
    13. Bart Starr​
    14. Fran Tarketon​
    15. Jim Kelly​

3. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

1. Joe Montana
    2. Tom Brady
    3. John Elway
    4. Johnny Unitas
    5. Dan Marino
    6. Roger Staubauch
    7. Brett Favre
    8. Peyton Manning
    9. Fran Tarkenton
    10. Steve Young

• Like Like x 1
  4. Blackattack87

Blackattack87 First In Last Out

I like these lists, I'm not listing mine they are similar. Just a few comments. Diddy, Elway number one?? He lost as many SB's as he won. I get it tho, basing it on pure ability. Brady has lost two SB's. Smooth how can you not put the only other 4 time SB champion QB not even in the top 10?? The other thing to think about is that Steve Young would have much more stats and maybe even a another bowl or too if he A. didnt waste a year in TB B...a year for the LA express of the USFL and C....backing up Joe for 4 years or so. If Young had half the D's that Joe had, he would have two more rings.......

• Like Like x 1
  5. smace767

smace767 Walk On

1)Joe Montana
    2)John Elway
    3) Drew Bress
    4)Peyton Manning
    5)Tom Brady( the fact that Matt Cassel got in there and had big numbers and the team still played at a high level drops him to here for me)
    6)John Unitas

I think Drew Brees has done enough to be on the all time list. I think Ben Rothleisberger will be on the all time list after a few more productive years.

QB criteria= making winning plays. Making plays when there is no play while still making the best QB decision. Making your team/ receivers better. getting the ball down field. Having the Clutch, cool, come from behind gene.

Dan Marino Great qb and great thrower, but a QB has to be able to escape pressure and extend plays. almost every guy on most peoples list could move and escape pressure except Marino. And that reason is why the playoffs where the better defensive teams are, were not kind to Marino and the dolphins.

Brett Farve lost almost every big game he was in and played poorly in many / most of those games.
    If its just stats Warren Moon and Jim Kelly have to be on some of these lists.

As a Cowboy fan i dont think roger is up there. Two of the most famous passes he threw were actually not great throws. The throw to Drew Pearson vs vikes in the playoff and the throw to Butch Johnson in the superbowl were both not good throws that wrs made great plays.

side note;
    In a lot of other of the debates, stats were a big factor in peoples impressions. Its funny that a lot of people ding Tony Romo even though his stats are top 5 in the NFL. Last year over 4100 yds passing 31 td 10 ints. Even with about 4 of dumbest ints a qb could throw he still only threw 10 and had 31 tds.
    Ron Jaworski said T Romo is one of the 5 best QBs in the NFL talent wise, but his late game decisions drops him to tenth.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  6. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Few things,

1. the lack of a true running game is what hurt the Dolphins more than Marino ever did. He was the reason along with strong defenses at the end of his career are why they were good. Elway was sacked over 500 times. In fact, Marino, despite his lack of foot speed, was sacked only .0324 times per attempt. Comparatively, Montana was sacked .0580 per attempt and Unitas .0801 per attempt. Also in the top 5 or so for game winning drives. I hate Dan Marino never liked him cheered against him but you cant discredit anything he did.

2. Why isnt Eli Manning on your list if its about winning big games and extending plays and being clutch etc?

3. Just because a guy has a good season doesnt mean that you diminish Tom Brady, could Ryan Mallett or any of the other clowns they had backing him up have had a good season if he went down? Cassel also had a very good season with the Chiefs and led that team to the playoffs so obviously he has some skills.

7. DC

DC Shake n Bake

Of course!!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

1. Joe Montana
    2. Tom Brady
    3. Johnny Unitas
    4. Otto Graham
    5. Peyton Manning
    6. Dan Marino
    7. Fran Tarkenton
    8. Steve Young
    9. Bart Starr
    10. Brett Favre

FU John Elway

• Like Like x 1
  9. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

The pain that John Elway brought Cleveland is unparralled in sports. Even the Red Sox overcame Aaron effing Boone's HR. I have no problem with you leaving him off the list.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

HAHA...yeah. On the Cleveland hate list, he is 3rd. (behind Art and the whore of Akron)

In reality, I know he is top 5. But this is my list dammit!

• Like Like x 1
  11. smace767

smace767 Walk On

First thing i never downed him or discredited him. I gave the reason why he was not in MY top six. Elway went 5 supper Bowls being the main reason and focal point of the offense. Marino went to one. Elway went to 3 super bowls before he had a great running back( T davis). Being sacked matters absolutley zero. Its making plays and getting wins to make deep playoff runs. The PAts have no running game but still have way more success than the dolphins did.

How about this. Elway gets sacked on second down. On third down he escape the pressure and makes the play for a first down. Marino throws the ball away on 2nd down to avoid the sack and throws to his hot read who comes up short of the first on 3rd and they punt. Thats sums up how they played qb and why the dolphins didnt win in the playoffs.

Tom brady is on my list so you missed me. My point is there are such things a system Qbs and system stats. The fact that Matt Cassel who by all accounts and even an Ex QB Ron Jaworski rated him as in the bottom half of the starting Qbs, had that success hurts Tom Brady.Thats just it Matt Cassel was ryan Mallet then. In fact ryan mallet played way more and had more accomplishments and credit then backup in college Matt Cassel did.

For one Eli was not the reason the giants won either of those super bowls. It was the defense and the dline. he is young and he has time like Big Ben but he is a long way from having all the numbers to be considered top 5 all time. He is under rated and has been for a while but not top 5 all time.

I think you get twisted what i am explaining. My explanation is why they are not higher / on my list. Not that they suck, they are no good, i hate them, ect.. in most cases guys i talk about are right out side my list and i give reasoning why they are off my list.

12. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

No I understand exactly what you said we just have different views of what qualifies them from being on the list which is the point of this thread thanks for responding.

13. smace767

smace767 Walk On

its all good
    10 is a small number when you talk all time. somebody has to be excluded.

14. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

No doubt man

15. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Sorry just can't put Bradshaw up there. I don't know he'd be in my top 15. Maybe top 20?

16. cadepetty247

cadepetty247 Walk On

This is hard....​
    1.Johnny Unitas​
    2. John Elway​
    3. Joe Montana​
    4t. Tom Brady​
    4t. Bart Starr (undecided on these two)​
    6. Dan Marino​
    7. Brett Farve​
    8. Roger "the Dodger" Staubach​
    9. Peyton Manning​
    10. Steve Young​
    11. Fran Tarkenton​
    12. Troy Aikman​
    13. Otto Graham​
    14. Terry Bradshaw​
    15. Kurt Warner​

• Like Like x 1
  17. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

I should have put Troy in there I really should have.

• Like Like x 1
  18. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    Before I start my list I want to emphasize that I value winning and clutchness over stat whoring in the regular season (even though Peyton Manning is my all-time favorite).​
    All-Time Top 10
    1. Joe Montana
    All he did was win, all, all he did was win.​
    2. Johnny Unitas
    Jim Brown is the OG running back, Johnny U is the OG QB.
    3. Tom Brady
    Awesome player who has never really had that great of a supporting cast (besides Randy Moss and now Gronk). Not a fan of Brady, but I respect the hell out of him.
    4. John Elway
    Elway was a bad mothertrucker. Maybe not as talented arm-wise as Dan Marino or Peyton, but he could move and use that cannon better than most. Plus he has 2 rings.​
    5. Peyton Manning
    Second best regular season QB in NFL history. Finally got a ring (against my beloved Bears), so no one can say he didn't win the big one. Perhaps the best football IQ in the history of QBs.​
    6. Dan Marino
    Best regular season QB ever. The stats don't lie, but he never won the big one. Karl Malone of the NFL.​
    7. Otto Graham
    From Wikipedia, "While most of Graham's statistical records have been surpassed in the modern era, he still holds the NFL record for career average yards per pass attempt, with nine. With Graham under center, the Browns posted a record of 114–20–4, including a 9–3 mark in the playoffs." Boss Qb of his ERA. If Unitas was the OG QB then Graham was the OOG.​
    8. Brett Favre
    Even if I hate the Packers, I respect Brett Favre. His record of consecutive starts will never be broken.​
    9. Roger Staubach
    Beast mode, he made the Dallas "Americas Team". Served in Vietnam before going pro. Man's man.​
    10. Drew Brees/Steve Young/Troy Aikman
    Having a reall hard time deciding between these three, so I posted all of them :) . Who do you guys believe is the best between Drew, Steve and Troy?​
    Guys of this era I think will/can make the HOF:
    Eli Manning​
    Peyton Manning​
    Tom Brady
    Drew Brees​
    Ben Roethlisberger​
    Aaron Rodgers​
    I am 22 years old and I have seen some really badass QB's. Really lucky, even as a kid seeing Warren Moon, Steve Young, Troy Aikman, Kurt Warner in his prime, Steve McNair, etc. The last 20 years of QBS have been insane.​

• Like Like x 1
  19. smace767

smace767 Walk On

As a 45 year old i can tell you. Dan Fouts, Archie Manning, Brian Sipe were really good qbs. Bert Jones was a real good QB. Dan Pastorini was a real good QB. Ron Jaworski, Ken Stabler and Jim Plucket were good Qbs.

AS a life long Cowboys fan who started watching in the staubach era. There is no way i believe that roger was better than Troy.

• Like Like x 1
  20. cadepetty247

cadepetty247 Walk On

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  21. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    well, I will let the cowboy fans debate that shit LOL I am staying out of that one.

That is like Bears fans debating Butkus vs Singletary vs Urlacher.

22. houtz

houtz Undefeated in HK

Dan Marino and its not even close.

Yeah I'm a homer.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I would love this post if that option was available.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Flyinhi2005

Flyinhi2005 Walk On

1) Johnny U
    2) Otto Graham
    3) Joe Montana
    4) John Elway
    5) Tom Brady
    6) Sammy Baugh
    7) Roger Staubach
    8) Bart Starr
    9) Peyton Manning
    10)Terry Bradshaw///Joe Namath

Sammy Baugh was a beast in his time..Not only was he the Qb.. But he lead the league in punting and ints lol

• Like Like x 1
  25. biggcoug65

biggcoug65 49er for Life

1. Montana - 4-0 in SB's
    2. John Elway
    3. Tom Brady
    4. Terry Bradshaw
    5. Steve Young - 6 TD passes in SB
    6. Dan Marino
    7. Johnny Unitas
    8. Bart Starr
    9. Sammy Baugh
    10. Otto Graham
    11. Brett Favre

One vote for Jim Drunkenmiller based on his last name alone...

• Like Like x 1