Lets go inside the Huddle (Post Draft edition)...

Discussion in 'Hard Knocks' started by OMlawdog, Oct 22, 2012.

1. OMlawdog

OMlawdog Going full Cheeze

Well folks the Draft has come and gone, and we have surprises and we have some absolute stunners, here is what Im hearing in talking with several GM's across the league.

Jacksonsville Jaguars took a RB as expected in its first two rounds, but then shocked the world and took a RB in the second round. Some GM's were left scratching their heads.

Also a big surprise was the Saints' ability to land two picks in the first 10 picks of the draft. This development was quite surprising, but the Saints surprised no one with their first pick in the top 10 by landing Florida State WR Devontry Wilson who is just one more toy for Drew Brees to play with. The Saints then landed Tony Johnson the stud corner who will help immediately in the secondary.

The biggest news of the first round was the Dallas Cowboys taking Tanner Hurns at the top of the first round, which signals the end of the Tony Romo experiment in Dallas. We don't know if the Cowboys will be cutting Romo loose this year or next, but its clear his time with the star on his helmet is at an end.

The Rams GM was dealt a bit of a surprise with the Saints trading up to 4 to draft Devontry Wilson. The Rams had a deal in place to ship the 7 pick to the Saints in the event Wilson was there. After keeping the worst kept secret in the league that they were taking Enoch Williams with the 3rd pick overall the Rams wanted to stock pile picks, and wasn't able to do so, they mortgaged some picks next year to jump into the end of this year's draft. The Result was a stellar draft, which the Rams GM responded "We trusted our board, and the grades and didn't worry about projections."

Another draft day winner was the SF 49ers who landed several defensive studs including Hanson Wood. Overall the 49ers certainly look the part of a draft day winner.

One thing missing from this year's draft was a lot of trades. Most people expected a lot of wheeling and dealing, and it simply didn't happen. Hopefully next year we will see more deals. Also surprising is that the draft took less than 3 hours. Very surprising, will see what next year's looks like.

Best picks of the 2012 Hard Knocks draft:

1) Hanson Wood, NT for the SF 49 ers

2) Jeremy Craned, OT for the Rams

3) Jeffrey Ross, OT for the GB Packers

4) Kendall Hillard, TE for the Baltimore Ravens

5) Bubba Logan, OG for the Jacksonsville Jaguars

6) Aaron Cane, OG for the NY Giants

7) Shaynam Newman, DE for the Oakland Raiders

For now I'm OMlawdog, and you've just been inside the huddle.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
    • Like Like x 7
  2. cadepetty247

cadepetty247 Walk On

3. majesty95

majesty95 Show class, have pride, and display character.

Awesome posts! I enjoyed drafting with you guys. Hopefully Cole Copeland wasn't too disappointed :( Was glad to hear there were as many "dorks" as there are like me lol. lawdog and Brian DeGrier (?? sorry don't remember the exact name) were the two that stuck out the most. Very detailed and knowledgeable. It was also fun putting a voice with guys like BobJr and soxandgators. Thanks again guys! Good luck this season!

• Like Like x 3
  4. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

You left off Sam Ackerman, he should start for buffalo at OT for a long time. He was projected 16th and fell to 74. He is 83 overall with awesome strength and blocking attributes.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Cole Copeland

Cole Copeland Mr. Irrelevant

Awesome job man. Glad to have you working beside me! Every player turned out to be 70+ OVR except one!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    How long did the draft take you guys?

7. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    You said TMFL...:)

• Like Like x 1
  8. redwings8831

redwings8831 Walk On

Just under 3 hours.

9. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    It took us about 2 1/2. It got slower toward the bottom because a lot of people didn't scout that deep.

10. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

I admit my scouting was screwed up here in HK. The only player that I took far too long on was my last one, I was 1 second too late. The cpu filled a need, instead of player that I wanted. That player I wanted went to whoever was next.

11. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    Shaun Mason

Yea I woulda had it right at around 2:45 but some jack hole named BigSmooth33 slowed us up. ;) damn Detroit fans.

• Like Like x 1
  12. redwings8831

redwings8831 Walk On

Fixed.

13. biggcoug65

biggcoug65 49er for Life

Very nice post OMlawdog, the Niners are very happy with their draft overall, and thrilled with their 1st pick Hanson Wood at #27 overall as he replaces Sopoaga and will start. The best part about him is that he has Superstar development already.

14. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

:(

• Like Like x 3