Lets go inside the huddle (Pre-Draft edition)...

Discussion in 'Hard Knocks' started by OMlawdog, Dec 4, 2012.

1. OMlawdog

OMlawdog Going full Cheeze

Well its been a while and far too long, but it is clearly time to go inside the huddle and news is breaking all across the league so lets see what Lawdog is hearing.

Lets start with coaching turnover, new coaches at Denver, Arizona and New Orleans. In talking with GM's across the league, it was clear that GM Neurotic bailed on New Orleans due to no cap space, no draft picks and having to face Cole Copeland twice a year. If this was a loser leaves town match on PPV, the fans would be asking for their money back. Our condolences go out to the next Saint's coach who won't be able to participate in this year's draft and is saddled with bad contract after bad contract.

Moving around the league, a lot of talk of the Seattle Seahawks and their new GM and how some are predicting a playoff run after going 7-4 after taking over. This is entirely possible, but its clear that Seattle is in one of the toughest divisions in football with the 49ers and the emerging St. Louis Rams.

Looking at the AFC, its clear that this year the Cleveland Browns are making a move this year, with rumors of trading next year's picks for picks of the eagles this year. The Browns are determined to get over the hump and will probably be looking to add a QB to this year's team. Im still surprised they haven't signed Phillip Rivers as of yet, but its still really early.

Also looking to rebound is the Pittsburgh Steelers who were SB champs in year 1 and missed the playoffs in year 2. With James Harrison retiring, the Steelers will also be looking to add to its defense either through free agency or the draft. The rumored names associated with the Steelers picks are: Cody McCollum, Keifer Carter and Quinston Williams.

Speaking of retirements, Justin Smith leaving the 49ers has opened a huge hole on the 49er defense, that most are expecting to be filled in the draft; The niners have been spotted at pro-day workouts for : Deshawn Oliver, Matthew Burnett and Pappas Brown. No idea what round the Niners will look to go DE, but its a good bet they will draft a DE in the first three rounds due to Smith's departure.

With the announcement that the Buffalo Bills have decided to draft Clemson Junior Trent Platt number 1 overall, the attention turns to the Arizona Cardinals and the number 2 pick overall. Where the Cardinals go is a tough one, there is the obvious need at QB, but also the Cardinals need help on defense pretty much everywhere except corner. Based on Coach Neurotic's penchant for grabbing offensive players, and the Cardinals need for RB you could see the Cardinals go in a number of directions and here are the names we are hearing: Sean Moorhouse RB, Stephen Diaz QB, and David Rozier DE.

As far as this year's draft, people are saying its as good a WR draft as we have ever seen. Andre Gibbons, Christopher Miller, Jonathan Jean Louis and Blair Scott all have first round grades and there are several more that are first round talents. With the way the NFL is going, you need to have at least three quality WR's.

As far as OL go, the name that is being talked about the most is Demonte Nixon. The phrase, next Orlando Pace has been thrown around. He apparently benched 225 43 times at the combine and is the consensus best OL in this year's draft. Most are projecting him to go top 10, but for teams wanting a franchise OT, you best not wait on him.

On the DL, look for the names David Rozier to come off the board extremely early. Also, don't be surprised to see 3-4 teams try and grab a few of the 3-4 DE's early due to the complete lack of players at this position.

As of now here are the hottest names on most team's draft boards:

1) Stephen Diaz - One GM said that he wouldn't last past top 5 picks, another GM said "He shouldn't last pick 2"
    2) Sean Moorhouse - Asked to describe him one GM said, "I would love to describe him, problem is that the guy is too damn fast to actually see what he does on film." True game breaker;
    3) Christopher Balom, TE - A complete TE that won't last past pick 20.
    4) Demonte Nixon - As one GM I spoke with said, "Draft him, sign him, play him at LT for 12 years, be at his ceremony in Canton in 17 years" Nuff said.
    5) Jason Archer, DE - There is a split over who is the best DE in this year's draft, some say Rozier, others say Archer. One GM I spoke with said, "Look I like Rozier, but if Im drafting a guy that can rush the passer and stuff the run, I want Archer." He probably won't be alone.
    6) Logan Bollinger, MLB - "Go ahead don't draft him" said one GM, "I dare ya". Apparently if you want a MLB that can run, hit, cover, and get off blocks, you draft Bollinger. If you don't want a MLB that can do those things, you don't draft Bollinger.

Speaking with one GM, its clear that players value is all over the place. Coach OMlawdog actually admitted that he didn't even scout a single 3-4 front seven player this year. When asked why, he responded "Im not drafting a 3-4 player, what do I care what their speed or hit power is"

As always there are rumors of trades leading up to the draft, and the obvious players should be the Rams with 4 picks in the first 62 draft picks, as well as the Bills who have not only grabbed Trent Platt but also have a pick in the 20s. Look for the Browns to be active as well, as there are reports that they have pulled off a blockbuster trade, essentially swapping drafts with the Eagles.

For now, get your draft boards ready and trust your board and get ready for the 2014 NFL DRAFT;

As Always, Im Coach OMlawdog, and you have just been inside the huddle.

• Like Like x 8
  2. biggcoug65

biggcoug65 49er for Life

awesome man, also remember that Truth's first big move with the Cardinals was to get rid of Larry Franchise Fitzgerald to the Jags for picks

3. OMlawdog

OMlawdog Going full Cheeze

Yeah, one GM that didn't want to get in trouble with the commish didn't fully understand how Larry Freaking Fitzgerald got traded for a late first and a late third. I mean whoa. Talk about a fleecing.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SteamboatReb

SteamboatReb Walk On

Yo, NT!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

Rivers is definitely a target. If only I wasn't one of the infected.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  6. SteamboatReb

SteamboatReb Walk On

Penicillen shot will cure that right up dude, and from what I hear, Rivers doesn't give a rat's ass anyway. Bareback Mountain all the way with that guy. He might fit in at Philly as well....if only controllerabuser would trade me Gronk.....

• Like Like x 1
  7. fordtuff504

fordtuff504 Walk On

as in 0 draft picks??? i dont see no ricky williams on this roster!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Featured Threads:
    I really hope that isnt what you truly feel happened.

With the team I left you, you dont need draft picks. You have two holes on the whole roster that can easily be filled.

9. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

LMAO!!!!!!!

10. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Featured Threads:
    ?