Let's start getting organized - Advance and FA thoughts

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Mags, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Mags

Mags Former MEGA PC Commish

Let's start getting organized - Advance and FA thoughts

Hey guys, let's open up discussion on pace and FA dispersement. Here's what I'm thinking, feel free to chime in.

I'd like to advance every 3/4 days so that we are on a 2 game per week pace. I was thinking Sunday night/Thursday night unless people have a better idea. That'll provide 4 days at the start of the week, plus an entire weekend for the 3 days. That'll also help us manage owners on different coasts.

For free agency, I was thinking we can do a snake draft based on team OVR, no different than what we've done on the PC during the first release year of a game. We don't have to worry about financials at the moment, but we will get to that soon enough.

We'll also discuss game sims, playing a CPU opponent, restarts, settings and all that good stuff once everyone has the game. Reminder, if you haven't already, please send me your gamer tag so I can fill out our team owner list. I'm still looking for recommended owners so shoot me some names if you have any.

Questions, thoughts, etc? Post em here. Let's get back into the swing of things.

2. bambam

bambam Walk On

The advance sounds good. Man the flexability of being able to play any game in a 3wk period will be missed (spawns).

As for the advance days that sounds good. Another suggestion would be, rotate your 4 day and 3 day rotation. Menaing, week 1 ( playing games of week 1 and 2) advance Thursday and Sunday. In week 2 (playing games of week 3 and 4) advance Wed and Sunday. Then go back and forth. Will it make a difference, honestly dont know.

As for FA, yes the snake idea is fine. We have done it before, and it helps guys that are on the lower end to get some better players.

Now for financials....i have no idea how any will work. I am sure others have done systems to make things work. But, I will say we need something. B/c the leagues realism really depends i think on money/pts. So teams of great players can continue to bank better and better players without any financial problems. I thoughts the last few seasons when we adjsuted the cap, the offseason was a lil more fun. There were somereally good player being let go just b/c of financials.

anyway, my 2 cents

3. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

4. Mags

Thanks Nate... I really wish they had an export feature on these damn consoles. I need to get some stuff in Excel. I'm hoping that, when Online Franchise goes live, I can pull/parse from the site.

Hate not having my editors...

5. Stykman

Stykman RC & MEGA Historian

This is my only fear.

I realize we are relinquishing a good bit of the control we have become SO used to...but I'm afraid we are going to lose ALL of it. I mean let's face it, EA wasn't super happy that the PC Community cracked their precious code, so they did away with the PC Version. Now THEY control what goes in and comes out of the game.

Ok...off Pulpit:

1 - Advance - Sun / Thurs. Ok. Bam's idea of alternating will garuntee someone loses track. We should have a Hard Day that we advance. Most P2P Games will be able to schedule in the 3 or 4 days. If you are a playing the computer, you can find 60 minutes in your 3 or 4 days to get that in. Because we are going to be limited to the speed of "the slowest ship in the fleet" due to not having spawns, we will need a HARD Advance. I don't wanna open up anymore cans 'o' worms here, because the topic is advance and FA, but are injuries going to happen? That will have an effect on anyone jumping ahead...if you can even jump ahead.

2 - FA. Ahhhh, the dreaded monster. Snake Draft, personally I don't like it, I would rather see a reguar 1 to 32 order, and then back to 1 again. I have always felt that the Draft/FA Drafting was supposed to Create more Parity, and "help out" the shittier guy. IMO the 1st and 33rd player will help out that guy more than the 1st and 64th. Does the Better team really need the 32nd, and 33rd? Based on Team OVR Rating...what do we do in case of a tie?

My Pennies.

And just for the record, to my MEGA Bretheren of the past 4-5 years, I realize last season I finished up about as salty as I could have. That fucking (I think I can say that here) Game, had me in knots. I hated playing. I hated everything about it. I was so burnt out, I think I told a few of you I was flat out quitting, never to be heard from again. Now with the last few months Away from the Game, I feel a lot better about playing again. The fire is back, and I'm excited about the new game. I'm just hoping the change of platform will Level the playing field back out for me. Kan, GT & Chris, I want to make sure when the rest of the League sees the NFC East on thier schedule, they squirm a little bit, and know they will be in for 4 dog fights. And no, that wasn't a Mike Vick refference. And we will have some GREAT Rivalries with each other for a long time.

Go ahead...get a tissue...:)

6. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

Whats a snake draft, and how does it work?

I am all for set hard advances. I dont think we should rotate them either. If you cant knock out a game in 3 to 4 days then you have problems.

7. Mags

Duh, good point about snake draft... I'm an idiot. I had regular draft in my mind and typed snake. It should be normal order.

8. bambam

bambam Walk On

I was with you on that John. I meant normal to. As for the rotating days, I didnt thing it would work, but just throwing an idea out there. Styk, yes someone would forget or be lost if we did. I was just throwing things off the top of my head. As for the NFC.... (n)

9. gt86

gt86 Walk On

everything sounds good to me so far

10. I-ROD

I-ROD Walk On

I'm good with Mags idea's..

11. ChickenOfTheSea

ChickenOfTheSea TMFL Goat Herder

Straight Draft, Based on OVRs, I think something in the nature of 1 year deals for all FA pickups in the filler draft? as you would most likely see in the NFL at this time. That way it makes it easy to go into the Offseason with some bodies already up, might spice up the offseason if a filler pickup turned into a goldmine, making the decision on who to uncover for FA a little harder.

I'll stay out of the advance conversation for now, as the 360 league may take a slower or faster approach until we fill, just depends.

Some things on gameplay

12. natedawg212000

anything faster than 2 a week and I'll have to bow out. Being a full time youth pastor with 2 kids and a wife (all of which i'd like to keep) that would be too much for me.

13. Mags

Won't be faster than 2 per. Without flex scheduling, it would be counterproductive.

14. Stykman

Stykman RC & MEGA Historian

I have 2 kids and a wife too. And if you can take 'em off my hands...I'll play 4 Games a week!!!:D

We did 3 a week Nate, and it was cool, if you could play 2 in one night, and even though it was nice to blow through a season in about 6 weeks, it was a little hectic.

2 a week is perfect.

15. I-ROD

I-ROD Walk On

2 games a week seems fair..

16. PoloMD

PoloMD Walk On

I like the 2 games per week schedule too.

17. gt86

gt86 Walk On

Not sure doing a Fa draft via overall will accomplish what we want by helping the owners who aren't as good as others. Since some teams have a high overall but the owners haven't done all that well record wise like Anj and the Pats or Styk and his Eagles for example.

How about we do the draft order by last seasons win lose records from Mega and/or other leagues that new owners are coming from and letting the cpu teams go before all human owners?

18. natedawg212000

I am going to just throw this out there, but if we went with a point system there really is no need for a fa draft. The point system works with the overall for the player. Certain overall = a certain number of points that player is worth and then you have a 'point cap'. Every year we look at the new overalls and update the point system. So lower teams with lover overall players can afford to offer more 'points' to a free agent than a team with a higher overall can.

Follow me?

19. Mags

Agree Nate, just waiting on being able to use OF and see what we can pull off the site to make it a little easier.

20. I-ROD

I-ROD Walk On

Nate, that makes sense something we should really consider!