Let's talk about it............

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by dakota7, Dec 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

Well....after edge7771 and I butted heads in the scheduling thread, its only right that we had a conflict during our game. I'll lay it out and you guys can give me...us, your honest opinon.

We were locked up in a defensive struggle. Neither offense had done much of anything all game....Wisconsin had just thrown the only pick of the game and set Ole Miss up with an opportunity to grab the lead. Here's where the conflict came up.. Ole Miss is down 4 and Edge is faced with a 4th and 4 at his own 32 yardline. He has 2 timeouts left and there was 3 minutes left. He wants to go for it. I pause and tell him he needs to punt, it isn't sim to go for this. He disagrees and while I'm typing a message back, he hits resume game, my 30 seconds tick off and I return to the game just in time to call a timeout. I send another message that he needs to punt, which he then does and then quits the game. I texted JCspartan2 so he already knows all of this. I finished against the cpu and won, btw.

Discuss...........

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  2. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

You didn't include the score.

3. dakota7

My bad. It was 10-6, Ole Miss was down by 4.

Added that into the first post.

4. edge7771

edge7771 Walk On

It was 10-6 with 2:30 left on my 32.

5. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

I don't know the score, but if I'm trailing in that situation I might go for it.

6. edge7771

edge7771 Walk On

Ya I see you tacked on a TD classy.

7. dakota7

2:57 exactly

8. dakota7

Says the guy who quit.......

9. jello1717

Down 10-6 on my 32 with 2:30 left and 2 TOs, I'm punting the ball, but I wouldn't have an issue if my opponent went for it. I'm sure I could look it up,but I believe the rule is that if you're trailing in the 4th you can go for it anywhere/time you want.

• Like Like x 1
  10. dakota7

It was 2:57

11. edge7771

edge7771 Walk On

I know two other guys that would do it also, because they did it against me. What ever Dakota knows all and got his way and win congrats I'm glad to be done with you. My god I feel I'm back in high school breaking up my girlfriend.

12. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

Don't count me in because according to you ALL, I'm the gutsyest and most aggressive player here, maybe even on this site. But i'd go for it 100% of the time. I'd be all over going for it but that's me. I think it's shitty to force Dakota to have to use a timeout as he's trying to discuss this situation though

• Like Like x 1
  13. dakota7

At least you're trying to keep this to the issue and not make it personal.........

14. dakota7

The Experience doesn't have a 4th down rule.

15. edge7771

edge7771 Walk On

That wasn't my intention to make him use a TO I was lined up to go for it and he was still in punt return formation. I wasn't going to use a TO.

16. jello1717

Then what made you insist that he had to punt it?

I know Chip Kelly's going for it in that situation if you wanna bring up the "sim" argument.

• Like Like x 2
  17. edge7771

edge7771 Walk On

according to you they do. that's what you told me IT"S AGAINST THE RULES

18. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

I can understand Dakotas frustration where he'd expect edge to punt. However, I think this ones a gray area and I don't have a huge issue with him going for it. 2 timeouts means at best he gets it back with around 145 deep in his own end needing a TD with no timeouts remaining against the #2 team in the nation and back to back national champs. And that's a best case 3 and out. That's not even factoring in that Wisconsin has the strongest ground attack in the country.

On the flip side if he goes for it and gets it he still has 64 yards to go. If he is stopped, he isn't any worse off on a turnover. He gives Dakota the ball at the 32 and can force a FG. That would result in him being down 7 (still needs a TD) but now he likely gets the ball in better field position off a kickoff than a punt where Dakota likely pins him inside the 20.

Unless I'm missing something my strategy would be to go for it too. Id rather my offense need to make 1 play then my defense have to make 3.

• Like Like x 2
  19. dakota7

That's not a sim move and we are a sim league.

20. dakota7

I told you it wasn't sim. And I don't believe it is. 3 minutes left, which is almost half the 4th quarter. You have 2 timeouts left and your defense has been playing great...there is no way a real coach goes for that.

21. jello1717

So far, everyone else thinks that it's perfectly sim.

Sim doesn't mean conservative. I'm the only one that said I'd punt in that situation, but I said I'd have no problem with my opponent going for it there. Everyone else in this thread has said they'd go for it in that situation too. You're the only one that doesn't think what Edge did was sim.

22. jello1717

Chip Kelly absolutely goes for it in that situation.

23. dakota7

Out of curiosity, if I hadn't called a timeout you were going to take the penalty? Didn't the 30 seconds ticking off give you a clue I might have been replying to your last message?

24. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Just to play devils advocate, a real coaching is such an arbitrary phrase. Chip Kelly, belicheck Rich Rod are a "real" coaches that I have seen do unorthodox things in close games that a majority of other coaches would do.

I would probably go for it half the time and punt the other half. But I can't win a user game to save my life so take that for what it worth.

The only thing I would say is edge you shouldn't disconnect from a user game especially when he is tryi g to engage you in a discussion.

Just my couple pennies on the situation.

25. dakota7

I guess I disagree with everyone then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.