Let's talk live weather

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Vlad, Apr 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vlad

Vlad Inaugural Masters Champion

Featured Threads:
    I know I brought this topic before and it was shut down very quickly,but now seeing that more people comment on it,I think we should at least have a discussion.

As I stated before I have big problem with live weather.I believe it will put some people in big disatvantage.I realize the number 1 argument of proponents of it it does matter in real life,however:

1.IRL tourneys for the first 2 days the field will split in 2,so even if the conditions change half of the players will play in the same conditions
    2.The halves will flip from thursday to friday.So you have a chance to catch up with the better AM conditions.
    3.On the weekends when tournaments are decided players close in standings play together,so their weather will be the same ( I mean when was the last time when somebody won a tourney and was in the clubhouse bfore the leaders have started)
    4.A round lasts about 4.5 hours as supposed to 30 min in the game
    5.In case of increment weather( severe thunderstorms or heavy rain for example) the play will be suspended and resumed later

All this factors do not eliminate the elements,BUT makes it as EVEN as possible...And this is what I want,equal conditions for everyone...Yesterday when I scored my 1st round( 2pm pst) the winds were at 15-25 mph,for the round I observed for Soxandgators the winds were around 5-6 mph.This is a huge difference as far as I'm concerned...

Another thing too .The game only takes in account what happens in the 30 min you play...IRL a quick shower in the morning will soften up the greens,and it will stay this way for awhile.Now let's say it is drizzling while I play,but stops at some point of my round...I'll be able to stick more shots close to the flag,and be more aggressive with puts,w/o fear the ball will roll 30 ft past the hole...You can start 20 minutes after me and you'll get huge bounces on the green and the blistering speed we all love on downhill putts...

We have all kinds of options for weather settings in the game.Setting up i.e R1 sunny/breeze, R2 cloudy/windy etc will make it both interesting (oh no not the old sunny/calm again) and FAIR for everyone!!!

2. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

xyz: When I say "you" below, I'm directing my comments at all readers unless I specify. Discussion is good - don't take my points as being negative towards you.

Personally, and obviously my opinion is what the settings currently are, I like the UNFAIRNESS that it causes. Golf is an unfair game. There are no actual prizes to be won on this tour; play against the course and its conditions and do the best that you can - where you finish should be a bonus. I know that it is more competitive than that, but be reasonable with your expectations is the main point.

Just because you play an AM and a PM round Thurs/Fri in real life doesn't mean that the conditions are equally split.

Over the course of the ENTIRE season, the best players will be at the top and the worst players will be at the bottom. That will happen no matter what the settings are, and I know you know this.

Adding more settings adds more variability for the flight captains. I know you [xyz] can handle it, but can everyone? I'm sure of it - but in practice, having more variables leads more chances for error.

You guys may talk it all out, but this will not be changed until at least two tournaments have been played, if at all. This and tournament course speed are the two settings that I am least inclined to budge on.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Don't complain after you just owned us all on the par 3

• Like Like x 1
  4. Vlad

Featured Threads:
    I'm not complaining I'm trying to give you a head start on me :D

5. DelZaster

DelZaster Walk On

I have to say xyzvld at times im not quite sure how to take your posts. I vote that live weather is fine as were on a realistic as possible site.

6. Vlad

Featured Threads:
    No worries here...

Actually when I signed up I was promised $ 1 M purse,so get to work... :D

I didn't catch this one.I taught the idea is to see how good we are compared to others,against the course we can do this by ourselves

Thats what I was asking for,to keep an open mind and check it out,should've specify I guess

7. smlVICTORIES53

smlVICTORIES53 Walk On

Lol. The man from across the pond speaks

8. Vlad

Featured Threads:
    Which post exactly? I'll be happy to tell you what my reasoning was.

In general if I think something can be improved I'll let you know.You don't have to agree with me or change it.I won't get upset about it one bit!!!

9. DelZaster

DelZaster Walk On

LOL oh yeh if i got something to say i speak lmao

10. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

To lighten the mood....

From Del to Noles earlier during our practice rounds....
    [​IMG]

11. grundlebug

grundlebug Walk On

Yeah I got worked by the live weather round 1...yesterday afternoon with 20-25 mph winds in round 1 I shot a +8. Then with the same conditions in round 2 (immediately following round 1), I shot a -2. Today, with very nice 5 mph conditions, I shot -1 for both the 3rd and 4th rounds.

After my first round I was frustrated with live weather and thought I was getting screwed. But as you can see I came out right after that and shot a -2. Basically what I'm trying to say is that while you may be facing hard conditions, it doesn't necessarily mean you are at a disadvantage. Everyone at some point will face difficult conditions - unless they are sneaky little bastards and plan their tee times based on weather.

12. DelZaster

DelZaster Walk On

I hear what your saying m8. The only thing I will say is we don't really have guys here that would do that n if a pattern emerged im sure it would be dealt with. But hey i totally understand what you saying n why.

13. DelZaster

DelZaster Walk On

14. Vlad

Featured Threads:
    ummm i have you -1 for the 2nd round...Did i make a mistake?

2 3 3 3 2 5 3 3 2 26 -1

15. ajtev21

ajtev21 Walk On

live weather is the only fair way to do it and have conditions effect our rounds. they are fine

16. grundlebug

grundlebug Walk On

Oh maybe I'm wrong. If you wrote it down then I'm sure you have the correct score. Either way it doesn't really matter for this exhibition tourney. Come the real tourney's I'll start keeping track of my own rounds just to be safe.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Vlad

Featured Threads:
    I agree with realistic,but how did you figure FAIR? I mean is it fair if I play on average speed green and you on tournament ? Cause this is what happens if I get light rain and you don't

18. timroy85

timroy85 Walk On

Dude, we just started this thing and you're already bringing this back up? I say you just chill and play man. It's not really that big of a deal and I like the realism.

19. ajtev21

ajtev21 Walk On

because there is weather in real life. for the most part, people are getting the same conditions. If it rains that is luck of the draw. you're doing well so how about you leave the complaining to some people that are struggling with the settings. and has it rained yet? Just checking.

20. ajtev21

ajtev21 Walk On

let me tell you whats not fair shooting multiple scoring rounds on one day. hopefully, this problem is fixed next week, but only under EXTREME circumstances should back to back rounds be counted. the conditions should be different every day.

21. Cheez

Cheez TSO's 1,000,000th Poster

Ok, say you select breezy or windy for a round. Tell me how its fair that one player might play a par 5 with a 12 mile an hour wind at his back, where as another could play the same par five with a 12 mile an hour wind in his face? Or one player plays a par three with a crosswind from left to right while another plays right to left. There's still variability there, and you can do nothing about it. No matter how many settings you try and change, the weather is still going to be different for everyone.

The best players on the tour are going to adapt to the weather and shoot well. If you get stuck playing in the middle of a hurricane, then club up and play the wind; try to land the ball close to the cup, because it's not going anywhere. Don't complain, just do it.

22. Vlad

Featured Threads:
    Why thank you for bringing another point why preset different conditions will be better then live...With so many differences between lifestyle,time zones etc it will be much easier for 4 people to find 1 hour to play 2 rounds together in one day,as supposed to 2 don't you think?

23. Vlad

Featured Threads:
    Finally a good argument(besides Basis)...

24. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

bout to lock this muthafuccccca down

25. Vlad

Featured Threads:
    do it...

I had an idea,I thought may put people on equal footing...Most of you guys disagree,so it's all good...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.