Lets Talk Playbooks

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by BlyGilmore, Jul 18, 2011.

1. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

IMO this is probably THE new feature in NCAA 12. And it has tons of potential to add another element to the game - since you can finally match plays, sets and formations completely to your style of play (instead of often wasting a good quarter of the stock playbooks because you'll never use plays).

So with that said ...

- What good trick plays have you found?

- What formations do you really like?

- What are some of your bread and butter plays that others should take a look at adding?

2. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

With all of the bugs with custom pbs, some of which are annoying (having formations you didn't choose with 1 play in them, inability to sort your formations), some of which are a PITA (having formations with missing formation audibles in them), and some of which are literally game breaking (you are unable to see or call any plays at all) they're almost more trouble than they're worth.

3. Baron

Baron "I'm PFP's reckoning."

It's weird, but I have yet to have any sort of problems with my custom playbooks, at least in so far as jello mentioned. (Except for one, I have a Shotgun Normal with the 4 Verts and nothing else that I can't get rid of, but none of the other ones).

But as to the question from the OP, I'm running mostly read option offense and am currently in love with F Slot Wing, putting one of my RBs in the slot (or leaving a fast WR there), the other in the backfield and then running the motion triple option.

4. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

I made a I formation pro style playbook, mine is as follows:

I Form- Normal, Slot, Slot Flex, Tackle Over, Tight, Twin TE Strong, Twins, Y-Trips

Shotgun- 5wr Trips, Spread Flex, (I think Normal is in there by default as well)

Strong I- Normal, Tight, Twin TE, Twins Flex, Y-Flex

Weak I- Normal, Twin TE, Twins Flex

Goalline formation is the Wishbone type "Tight" formation from Mississippi State

As you can tell, I'm all about my I formation and running downhill. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  5. BlyGilmore

nice Kasper. I run a similar offense but with a few Ace formations thrown in (i need Ace Bunch Seattle lol) but also the Stacked/Maryland I formation. Might have to tinker and use Miss. State as a jumping off point so I don't waste plays having the Wishbone Tight in my playbook (which I just have for a couple of Denard Robinson runs on the goalline).

6. Dwreck

Dwreck Walk On

I hate the missing formation audibles. I call a pass play, get the the line and want to check to a run, but can't. Does anyone have a list of the formations that don't have those?

7. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    It is tied to having that play type in that formation, I think.

8. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Can you expand more what you mean Shaun?

I have a few formations as well where its just missing and I clearly have plays of that type. Maybe its only specific plays that can fit the formation audible?

9. Dwreck

Dwreck Walk On

I will definitely check that angle out.

10. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I think there are four types
    Up - Quick Pass
    Right - Deep Pass
    Down - Inside Run
    Left - Playaction

I *think* you have to have a correct play for each type...I'm not sure what right is, either shotgun or standard pass.

11. Keller

Yeah I know what they are - I thought you had deduced some sort of inner workings of what triggers them to actually work. Like I said I have formations where I have all of the above yet some of the formation audibles don't work - its fairly frustrating.

12. jello1717

This is from either TGT or Utopia and is a probable cause for the missing audibles.

As we all know, most formations are used in multiple playbooks. Each pb has its own plays (some of which overlap and some of which are unique) and they have their own formation audibles. IE. For Pistol-slot in pb1 HB zone might be the run audible while in pb2, HB Counter is the audible.

The issues seems to be when you have multiple formation audible plays of the same type (IE. having both HB zone and HB counter in the Pistol-slot example above). If you only have 1 of them you should be fine.

I actually fixed a missing formation audible in pistol-slot by removing 1 of the plays that is an audible (it was HB zone or something) and when I removed that, I went from no run audible to HB counter. I removed counter and added zone and that became my formation audible. I added them both and I had no audible. This particular example is 1 data point showing that their theory worked.

The biggest issue is that you then need to know what EVERY formation audible is for the formations you want to use. If you choose a formation that's used in several teams' pbs, you're going to run out of usable plays if you want to have a formation audible. There's a thread on utopia (or TGT) that lists every formation audible from NCAA '11 (not '12) that you could use as a starting point, but it obviously won't be 100% accurate and then you still need to mine the data.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Keller

That's actually very helpful - thanks for the post.

14. Dwreck

Dwreck Walk On

Thank you!

15. BlyGilmore

btw stumbled upon a couple of interesting plays.

One is the LSU Screen. The X receiver is in tight at the snap, goes toward the sideline and then cuts it back in about a yard in front of the line of scrimmage as the offensive lineman push up field. Tough play to execute, but if you can get the WR behind those lineman with the ball its worth a good gain.

The other is an HB Mid Screen. Haven't gotten this to work yet, but it looks almost like a shovel pass play.

16. jello1717

I've tried the HB Mid Screen and I've never been able to get my HB to catch the ball behind the linemen so he's always instantly creamed.

17. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

This is why you can't have custom playbooks in the Tradition :D

Not trying to be offensive looks like a cool book, it's just that when you combine being able to pick formations AND pick plays... It just becomes a bit too much for me, I like that we have some defensive games early on here...

18. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Not sure if your implaying I have a lot of good plays, but all I do is run the ball basically.

I didn't quite understand your comment though.

19. Fr3sH_UC

Fr3sH_UC Walk On

Strong I power O in ncaa 12 is nice

20. sportyfan2000

sportyfan2000 Walk On

my self i liked old school trick plays of wr reverse and flea flicker, i like formations of shotgun and singleback formation because in those you get your defense teams to think , liked in singleback maybe i pass it or run it. i think someone should added the pistol and i form formations in their playbooks those formations are set up to help you in my oinion run the ball better if need help in that area.

21. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

I like running the Double Screen (HB and WR) out of the Pistol from time to time

22. BlyGilmore

I don't see anything wrong with it. and honestly i was surprised you guys didn't allow custom playbooks - its taking a huge new feature right out of the game.

i might be there with ya if the default playbooks didn't historically suck so bad.

if anything I think custom playbooks allows for a more sim like game. since you can add more variety to your formations and ensure your major ones have a good balance. instead of getting stuck with a formation that has maybe three good plays, or is missing certain types of plays - like a weak side run or a blast.

23. Baron

Baron "I'm PFP's reckoning."

Empty Bunch, and Empty Quads have swiftly turned into two of my favorite formations, passing wise that is.

24. annil8tion

annil8tion Walk On

I noticed that if you have a playbook with only one play, it tends to mean that is an audible that came with your playbook, so you only have that formation in your playbook because that was one of the default audibles from the original playbook. That's what happened for mine.

also I form. twins is a great formation, HB power has gotten me thousands of yards by itself.