Let's Talk Team Draft

Discussion in '12th Man Football' started by LtJustice, Aug 6, 2012.

1. LtJustice

LtJustice QSF Commissioner

Since I won the first pick in the team draft, several of you have inquired as to which teams I am interested in selecting. I have decided to put together a short list to share with all of you. This is just based on what I know right now, and could obviously be impacted as rosters, salary cap situations, and player ratings become known.

I will not be making my official selection until I have the game in hand and have had a chance to examine the finalized roster more closely (and yes, I will try to have the early release pass to expedite this process).

Feel free to share your thoughts on these or other teams, and without further ado:

LtJustice’s Short List

CLEVELAND BROWNS – Interest Level: Very High

Thoughts:

- Obviously everyone knows I am unapologetically a die-hard Browns fan.

- Besides that fact, this is actually a promising young team with which to begin a franchise. You have the rookie trio of QB Brandon Weeden, HB Trent Richardson, and WR Josh Gordon. Weeden has some promising attributes with a big arm and decent accuracy; he has also been given a great deep ball. Richardson should be a beast, and Gordon has a prototypical receiver build, mixing height, speed, and soft hands.

- The offense also features a lot of big targets to throw to: WRs – Gordon & Mitchell (6’3”), Little & Massaquoi (6’2”) and TEs – Watson (6’3”), Smith (6’4”), Cameron (6’5”), & Moore (6’6”). Not to be left out is rookie burner Travis Benjamin. You also have a young offensive line anchored by perennial All-Pro LT Joe Thomas, as well as stud C Alex Mack and rookie RT Mitchell Schwartz.

- The defense features a line with a lot of beef in the middle, 3rd round pick John Hughes (320lbs) to go along with lane cloggers Ahtyba Rubin and Phil Taylor (both 330+ lbs), as well as a good speed rusher in 2nd year DE Jabaal Sheard. Other key defenders are MLB D’Qwell Jackson, CB Joe Haden, and SS T.J. Ward.

- While promising, this is a very young team that lacks depth at most positions, who may take a couple of seasons to really begin to see their true potential.

- I’ve used the Browns for 2 straight Maddens, maybe it’s time for a change. Also, do I really use the #1 pick on the 2nd worst rated team in the game?

San Francisco 49ers – Interest Level: Very High

Thoughts:

- One of the elite teams in the game, they are absolutely stacked with talent.

- QB Alex Smith gives you a solid, if not spectacular, starter and backups Johnson & Kaepernick are both athletic and strong armed.

- Their running back situation is one of the best in the league. Frank Gore is one of the best in the business with a good mix of speed & power. Brandon Jacobs gives them a bulldozer for short yardage and youngsters Kendall Hunter & LaMichael James have good speed for a change of pace.

- The Niners are similarly stacked with receiving threats. Crabtree & Ginn Jr are now joined at WR by FA signees Mario Manningham & Randy Moss (always a Madden beast) and rookie A.J Jenkins. Along with stalwart TE Vernon Davis, there is no shortage of weapons to throw to on this offense.

- An outstanding front seven leads the way for one of the best defenses in the game. Behind a very good d-line, MLB Patrick Willis, who will most likely be the best LB in the game again, leads a great group of LBs including Brooks, Bowman, Haralson, and Smith, who should all be rated very highly.

- Goldson & Whitner give the Niners a solid safety duo and Cox & Culliver are promising young corners.

- This is definitely a win now team, but there is a nice infusion of youth with the veterans. The only real problem will be managing the salary cap through the course of the franchise as all of these great players will surely want to be paid as such.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Interest Level: High

Thoughts:

- The Buccaneers are a very good up and coming team, well on their way to becoming an elite team.

- QB Josh Freeman has the ability to develop into one of the premier passers in the game, with a fantastic arm and very good short and deep ball accuracy.

- At HB LeGarrette Blount (a very good power runner) and rookie Doug Martin should split carries to form a solid rushing attack.

- FA signees Vincent Jackson (WR) and Dallas Clark (TE), along with WRs Benn & Williams, give Freeman some quality targets in the passing game.

- Studs dot the D-Line (McCoy, Clayborne, Bennett, & Bowers) and behind them is a squad of young speedy linebackers.

- Rookie safety Mark Barron should be a stud and CB Eric Wright gives them another solid CB to go along with Talib & Barber.

- This team has the ability to make some noise this season, and with the expected progression of their young stars on both sides of the ball, they may be considered one of the elite teams in the coming seasons.

St. Louis Rams – Interest Level: High

Thoughts:

- Lots of youth on this team including a young franchise QB in Bradford.

- The Rams have extra 1st round draft picks in each of the next 2 drafts (via the RGIII trade with Washington)

- SJax & rookie Isaiah Pead should be a nice 1-2 punch at RB.

- Free agent signee Cortland Finnegan and rookies Janoris Jenkins & Trumaine Johnson give the Rams a very nice trio of CBs.

- Rookie DT Michael Brockers joins Chris Long and Robert Quinn to form a pretty good D-Line.

- A lack of playmaking threats at WR & TE for Bradford to take advantage of.

- Outside of the excellent James Laurinaitis, not much to speak of from the LB corps.

- This team could be the epitome of a project. Some nice young pieces in place, but an overall lack of talent on paper. Those extra draft picks could really change that in a hurry.

- Really? The Rams? Do I want those extra 1sts that bad?

Well, there's my list. I reserve the right to add or remove teams from this list at any time ;)

• Like Like x 4
  2. thaexistence

thaexistence Walk On

Nice write up. I still see you taking the Browns if this is your list. I am actually thinking that the three projects you have listed here have more potential than the 49ers as they have a few aging pieces in Gore, Moss and Corners. Outside of depth the Browns have some real nice pieces.

Do we really get the extra 1st rounders the real team traded for?

3. LtJustice

LtJustice QSF Commissioner

Yeah, that was one of the things they verified. Any picks that have been traded in the real NFL, will be reflected in the game.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ThaBayouChef

ThaBayouChef Walk On

You'll go Browns man. I do the same sh** every year. And once the game drops the allegiance holds you to your team. Hard to pick somebody else if your team is available, lol.

• Like Like x 2
  5. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

The Rams and Bucs are on my short list as well, same with the Colts and Browns. I may opt for a project in this new format.

The extra 1st rounders are indeed appealing.

6. Juan Valencia

Juan Valencia Walk On

Nice write up! You will still go Browns!:eek:

• Like Like x 2
  7. thaexistence

thaexistence Walk On

I will be shocked if anyone takes these "short list" teams.

8. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

So you're saying you want me to draft the Rams so a better team can fall to you?

• Like Like x 3
  9. javy0472

javy0472 Walk On

Very well put.....kudos. I just hope my favorite team is still there at 21. But i dont see that happening. crossing my fingers:)

• Like Like x 1
  10. CaptMoe

CaptMoe Walk On

Man, this list is Madden GOLD. If you don't take the Browns and they're there at #5, I'm gonna roll the dice. I like their make up...

• Like Like x 1
  11. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

What team is that?

12. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

Honestly, I might take a stab at the Browns at 9 if they are there. Im just stoked to play the game this year. It sounds like they did it right.

• Like Like x 1
  13. javy0472

javy0472 Walk On

J . E. T. S.....................
    JETS JETS JETS JETS