Linebacker Video

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by UofCWildcat, Sep 14, 2011.

1. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

Just so everyone can see my play style (offense and defense) here ya go. Critique about the MLB stuff

2. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

HOLY SHIT dude, @ 6:56 that shit with the DT's you shouldn't be doing. You didn't do it much in this probably because it's been brought up to you, but I think it was the first defensive series, you looped your LB around but then really didn't do it the rest of the game. Also there was a thread a couple months ago about looping and blitzing with LB's that were supposed to be in coverage, so tread lightly there. IMO as long as your not doing it all the time, I don't care.

Oh FYI for everyone this isn't his actual style of D, he runs the 335.

3. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

It never even occurred to me to hot route my DTs to contain. That's some nano shit right there. The interior o-line looks lost when you do that. Do you guys blitz this much on defense? I don't, maybe I'm doing something wrong.

The sad thing here UofC is that you made a video to prove to us that you're a sim player and there's shit in it that is prohibited. What are you trying to show us exactly? If I was making a video to prove to my league, I'd be damn sure to contain myself and not do nano's or loop or blitz on damn near every down.

4. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

Ya... UofCWildcat why the video if that's not the D you run?

5. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

In his defense, the rate of which you blitz IMO is based on who you are playing. there are some guys that will pick you apart if you do not play aggressive against them, and there are those who you have to play conservatively against or you will get burned.

From my experiences with playing you guys, Bill I have to play aggressive against or else he picks my D apart, as where Suge I play conservative against because he would burn me almost every play if I didn't.

But the things I pointed out, you should fix and you'll be fine bro.

6. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

The things that bother me about it is you're taking advantage of the free acceleration of the defensive players while the offense is stuck in their play animations. This is something that's broken w/the game imo and what you're doing capitalizes on that. The offenses animations take so long to get going and the defense is free to move wherever they'd like from the start of the play. The best examples of this is:

- You're jerking your MLB around all over the place presnap. It's not like you're walking him up into the "A" gap and then either blitzing or dropping that gap. Instead, you're walking up to the "A" gap, then on numerous occassions, you looped all the way across the formation to the other "B" gap. In real life, no LB would be able to do it as quickly as it's replicated in the game. I think that's cheesy because like I said earlier, it takes advantage of the defenses freedom while the offense is stuck in canned animations.

Examples:
    -5:45 the playcall is to blitz the A gap which is playside. You rush that gap presnap, but then at the snap, you loop around and end up crashing the B gap on the other side of the formation.

-2:55 - this one's more of a general example, but it kind of proves my point as to how you're taking advantage of the lack of physics in this game. At the snap, you crash the B gap and the offense runs a sweep. In real life, the LB you're controlling that gets engaged by the LG would be trapped inside and this would be a HUGE play for the offense because you committed everyone inside and the offense had the perfect play called to get outside. However, due to the lack of "football" in EA's games, you're able to scrape off the LG, and chase down the RB who already had a big head start for basically no gain.

- My second issue, and again this is something that's sadly broken in the game that you're kind of capitalizing on. On a couple plays, you would essentially run commit with your LB at the snap. Then, you'd read pass after the snap, and you're able to backpedal into coverage. Again, this is extremely unrealistic. If Ray Lewis crashes the LOS at the snap, he's not good enough to get back into coverage on a TE. Because EA doesn't understand football, they continually allow this type of stuff to occur in their games when it's completely unrealistic. Again, I think it's something your capitalizing on that creates an unfair advantage for the defense w/this style.

Example:
    -3:12 - This one takes the cake as to why I struggle so much to enjoy this game at times. You all out blitz the "A" gap at the snap. The C tries to chop block you, which you hurdle, yet you are able to recover, while strafing and backpedaling and run step for step w/the HB coming out of the backfield on a pass route.

Lastly though, I think the play at 3:25 is my biggest problem. Your LB is in zone coverage from the play art, but essentially, you are physically run committing with him. Then when you read pass, you drop back into your zone. I think this has the potential to cause issues with the blocking AI and in my eyes it is NOT SIM.

I think if you want to use a strategy like this, you need to use a couple guidelines:

1 - make up your mind if your LB is blitzing or not pre snap and stick to it because in too many instances, you're playing both and that's not realistic.

2 - If you're blitzing, and you want to try to time the snap count, that's fine with me. But when you do that, you need to know the gap you're going to blitz, and then try to time hitting that gap, and that gap only.

3 - Looping. I'm not a fan of this and especially w/how you're doing it. I won't go so far as to say a LB should never blitz a gap on the other side of the formation, because that does happen and there are plays in the game that call for this. However, I think this type of blitz is something that is used infrequently by defenses so it shouldn't be something you're doing regularly.

That's my laundry list haha.

Additionally, if you want to joker a LB, and line him up in different parts of the formation, that's fine IMO, but you need to keep it realistic. If you want to take your MLB and bring him off the edge or something on a passing down I'd probably be ok with it. But you need to make sure that one, he's on the edge, two, he's blitzing off the edge only, and 3 that you engage the blockers instead of just trying to loop around.

• Like Like x 2
  7. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

I run the 4-3 now (in the restarted one) which is what i ran v. Suge. And yeah I didn't think it was nanoing. Sorry. I will stop that

8. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

FWIW, The play at 3:25 was a play action, so I don't know how getting sucked up and then trying to get back is not sim. It's not really his fault that EA will let his guy back pealed as fast as he can run forward.

The hot routing of DTs is a little much for me tho.

9. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

In this video, I made it to show how i play. It wasn't to "prove" I was sim more than get everyone's opinion because I've played only Nautica, Randy, Suge, and Jello. I'm glad people are telling me this is WRONG. I had zero idea because this is how i was taught to play by my brother over in LV. I just gotta take the advice and I'll spend a day reteaching myself.

Now to GoGator:
    5:45 I see what you are saying and I guess just my response is to flow to the play after i blitz
    2:55 Again, I'm flowing to the ball and yeah see the unrealism in it and how it can be taken. So what do you say? Blitz and just commit that way and if he runs, be blind to it and just keep rushing?
    3:12 I know exactly what you mean here because when I do blitz I commit. But i was jokering and going to back off but I was warped into blitzing so I hurried back to cover my zone. I guess when this happens I just need to continue onward because I've already jumped it.

I see when the problems occur and I know what I need to change in some aspects but anymore things people can point out please do. I'm trying to be as sim as possible but like i said, this is what I was taught so I didn't consider it cheese. Thanks for all the inputs and people pointing it out.

10. dakota7

Out of curiosity, why do you punt line drives? Does the CPU always miss the catch like that?

11. maverickfp

maverickfp Walk On

Agree with all things said above. In general, pick a play, control a player, and use that player the way the play is designed. if a LBer is in coverage, you can fake a blitz by standing over the A gap, but you must drop back immediately, like real LBers. If it's a blitz, fine...but blitz the gap you're supposed to and don't loop (as said above). The DTs going into a contain is bull though, lol...never in real life.

12. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Just responding here:

5:45 - you're not flowing with the play in this cause you end up blitzing backside after you looped rather than staying playside where you originally were.

2:55 - This one's an EA flaw so there's not much you can do here. I expect you to pursuit the play. My point is that when you crash like you do, it's a win/win situation because the game allows you to recover in an unrealistic manner. I'm just trying to show where you're gaining an advantage playing this way. I'd suggest not crashing/run committing with your player so much or as hard because it creates this type of situation. If they run a dive you're there. If they run a sweep, you're still there. Make sense?

3:12 - Yeah. I don't think there's anything wrong with blitzing or timing the snap, but I think you have to commit to it or not because as you noted on this play, you can trigger game animations that really shouldn't happen. Believe me, I get really frustrated w/the lack of realism in these games and wish EA would simply make a game with actual physics so these things wouldn't be an issue, but until that happens, you just have to be more mindful.

Overall, IMO, rather than have detailed listings of rules upon rules of what you can and can't do, it's more important to understand what you're doing and if it's realistic in a football scheme/physical point of view. For example:

- Blitzing LB's do time snaps. However, if they crash hard and guess wrong, their momentum carries them into a false start. Or, if they blitz themselves out of the play, they can't recover.

- LB's do move around pre snap, but they have a designated assignment. Once the ball is snapped, you have to honor that assignment in the defensive scheme.

I don't think you can defend a scenario where you try to time a snap to blitz the playside B gap, but then at the snap, you loop around and blitz the opposite B gap. That's both physically unlikely and really not something you'd see scheme wise cause the blitzer likely has a gap assignment rather than just rush with reckless abandon.

At the end of the day, I try to govern my style of play by having an actual schematic idea I'm trying to accomplish. Now this may sometimes create issues with the game, but that's not my intention. Rather I'm simply trying to use a scheme to attack the offense. If you can defend your scheme from a football strategy point of view, I'll go right along with ya. However, the looping sides of the formation and jerking the LB all over the place to me looks more like preying on the bad AI rather than having a developed gameplan. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I perceive here.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

I was bored a while back and found a site that I was trying to find different playbooks on, and they had a forum of ways to cheese. LB and DL "Shaking" was on there, so I'm guessing that it really does mess with the AI.

14. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

Yes. It's definitely an AI flaw as a line drive punt to the side will always hit the ground and then the PR has to run back to get the ball and by the time he does he's swarmed. The only time I punt line drives is to kick it out of bounds inside the 20. I think that line drive punts towards the sides (I haven't watched to vid yet to see if that's how he punted) where the PR can't catch it isn't sim.

EDIT:
    I watched the vid and you can see it on both punts. Take the one @ 5:25 for example. If the PR could've gotten to where the ball landed we would've gotten a fair catch. But because of this flaw (which affects user PRs as well and not just CPU ones) the ball bounces and the PR ends up picking it up 20 yards further downfield than had he been able to fair catch it. This definitely shouldn't be allowed.

I learned about this (I never thought about doing it before) after someone did it to me in our OD (I'm assuming it must've been UofC). After he did it a couple of times I went into practice after the game and got to the point where I could punt the ball 100% of the time, in bounds, without the PR being able to catch it and he'd have to back track 10-20 yards to pick it up.

As for the other stuff, the main things I had issues with was when the MLB was in a hook zone but he faked towards the line @ the snap which made an O-lineman try to block him and then he pulled his guy out. I don't remember the times, but this is very evident twice in the video. The first is when a G tries to cut block him when instead he should've been blocking someone else. The other time was on an Arizona sack where the zone MLB faked towards the line and occupied a blocker.

• Like Like x 1
  15. dakota7

So the punt thing is bull shit too. UofCWildcat , knock it off.

16. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

17. maverickfp

maverickfp Walk On

So basically...your style of play is cheese. :p

18. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

UofCWildcat sorry if it sounds like we are hounding you, but we are all just trying to help you. You know this is going to be a running joke that none of us are going to let down right?.....

I thought this was funny

19. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

I'm one hundred percent okay with this. All i'm trying to do it fix this to get sim. I had no idea i was so far off =/ it's a damn shame and I'm literally embarrassed. Sorry to make you all look bad because I'm a part of this league and you all are connected to me. Please accept that apology.

Second, I deserve every ounce of criticism you got for me. I'm not sim right now and it needs to change.

To explain the DT contain, what i did was pinch the line and then contain the DT. In my head i thought it was alright because I was pinch and trying to get the twist stunt going with the dline. But i do see the nano blitz in it.

I just started doing that to make it so people wouldn't be able to return. But yeah I'll definitely stop that for sure.

Thanks again for all your help. It does mean a lot in improving my sim style. I just wish i knew from the beginning instead of being taught this.

20. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

And i forgot to mention. I can make a video of my 3-3-5 if people are wanting to see that too.

21. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

I don't think it's necessary, we've pretty much beaten this horse. The takeaway is what's important and I am happy you concur. Always nice to see someone who listens as well as understands constructive criticism.

22. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

[​IMG]

23. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

You're really turning into Knight with the silly images, no?

24. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

LOL its funny that you say this, I actually out gif'd Nick before. It was kinda funny.

It's better than me pissing someone off with a gay joke reference (GoGators)...I could have come right out with something like this
    [​IMG]

But thought that the one I posted was less offensive

25. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

My exact response :)