Lion's Cubs - Penn State Recruiting 2015

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by bravejaf, Jan 31, 2011.

1. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

22 scholarships available/19 players signed (as of week 11)

Needs: QB (1) FB (1) TE (1) DT (2) MLB (1) K (1)

:5stars: Calvin Barber QB
    :5stars: Jeff Richardsom TE
    :5stars: Lee Strong DE
    :5stars: Steve Herman SS
    :4stars: Christian Green FS
    :4stars: Brandon Higgins HB
    :4stars: Will Coleman FS
    :4stars: Maurice Smith ATH
    :4stars: John Williams DE
    :4stars: Thomas Mark TE
    :4stars: Matthew Ross TE (JUCO SO)
    :4stars: Zach Lowery
    :4stars: Bobby Collins DT
    :4stars: Terry Carter DT
    :3stars: Vince Robinson DT (JUCO JR)
    :3stars: Marquis Brown MLB
    :3stars: Jeremy Terrell OLB
    :3stars: Chris Holland QB
    :3stars: Jake Ward DE

2. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Week 1 - 2 commitments

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It could have been better but I won't complain about a 2 person head start on the recruiting season. Collins fills a need and I'd like to get at least 2 more defensive tackles in this class. Ward also gives us some depth on the defensive line but he is a JUCO with just 2 years of football eligibility remaining.

Overall Penn State has some promising recruits on its board and we need to lock up a good number of these kids. The current senior class is very talented so the Nittany Lions have a lot of holes to fill.

3. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Another signing for Penn State

[​IMG]

He wasn't a high priority target for Penn State and wasn't even on our board until week 3. Once we sent the scholarship offer he accepted almost immediately. Overall he is a very solid addition to the team and he could contribute early for our squad. He is a well rounded athlete with good speed (B), acceleration (B), jumping (B) and agility (C+). He is also solid in zone (B) and man coverage (B-).

Herman does not fill a need, which is the only reason he was not on our board before this week.

4. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

[​IMG]

Penn State coaches slow played Strong and the tactic was effective. With no other teams offering a scholarship he jumped when coaches offered a scholarship. In terms of attributes, the most important one for a defensive lineman is getting off blocks. An A- in that area shows that Strong is already elite in that area. Good strength (B-), speed (C+), power moves (C+) and finesse moves (C+) also show his talents and that he has room to grow.

5. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

@KillerNuts - 1 down and 1 to go, that :5stars: tight end will be joining Ross soon :)

Nittany Lions lock up another JUCO tight end. Matthew Ross didn't wait for his visit and signed with Penn State this week. He is solid all around tight end that should see some action next season. The Nittany Lions are still going after a couple other prospects at tight end so he may have some competition for early playing time.

[​IMG]

6. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

7. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

@KillerNuts - I said both tight ends would insta-commit before week 7... turns out I was right :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Better yet I am one week away from signing my starting QB for next season.

7 commitments this season and I have yet to bring anyone in for a visit

Here is the one I forgot to post

[​IMG]

8. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

9. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Nittany Lions locked up the #2 QB in the class and the future of this team. With Sykes and Bennett graduating this spring, Barber may be in competition for the starter role next season. He will have competition from Nelson and Darby, but most scouts peg Barber as a better passer. He needs to improve his football IQ and cut down on fumbles. The coaches will work on these areas in spring practice, as Barber is set to enroll early so he is eligible.

10. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

QB Barber - May be the week one starter if PSU goes back to spread offense

TE Richardson and Ross - Will compete for the #2 spot and we may use some 3 TE sets next season

DE Strong - Will compete for the open defensive end spot, but will have some fierce competition

TE Mark - Is likely headed to FB

SS Herman, FS Green and Coleman - Will likely end up on special teams and reserve duty, but
    should be solid in a couple seasons

Defense was a big focus in this class, especially the defensive line. We have locked up five d-linemen and a sixth will be added next week. The secondary also got a boost with four signings, all ranked in the ESPN 150.

11. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

One additional signing for Penn State:

:4stars: John Williams - DE

He is a big boy at 6'5 260 but doesn't have elite speed or strength for a defensive end. His best attributes are pursuit (B+) and power moves (B). He might never be a starter (at least before NCAA 12 comes out) but he gives us solid depth on defensive line. He also expands the team's versatility since he can play as outside rusher or inside tackle.