Looking Ahead to Year 9

Discussion in 'Zeros to Heroes' started by Sabo, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Sabo

Sabo Z2H Commish

Feb 13, 2010
    I wanted to take this time to ask you guys some things. Since we are at the end of year 8 and some of us have tested new offenses and defenses. I wanted to know if or what changes you plan to make on your offensive and defensive style for year 9 ?

I figured if we opened the forum for discussion on this topic we all stand to learn a little something about whats working and what isnt working.

Personally I switched Georgia to the 3-3-5 defense this year. I am considering going back to my home at the 3-4 or maybe the Multi-D for the year 9 season.

@Fred Limbo

Joe_THEDREAM Living a dream

Jun 23, 2009
    I don't plan on changing anything. My personal is limited so i have to play ball control (WISC) on offense and I like having option on defense so i'm going to roll with multiple again next season. I've never seen so much 3-3-5 being used by users before. Whats the hoopla around it? The greatness of the 335 in college is being able to confuse the OL and get free shots at the QB, which is tough to do with the OL programming in this game.
  3. Fred Limbo

Fred Limbo MVP

Feb 10, 2011
    Personally this is my 1st year running with the 4-2-5 and I can say I love it. The only draw back is I have a nice group of LB's that are on the bench.....but against pass happy offenses I like it. I run with the 3-3-5 with Western Michigan in GBN and don't like it because on several of the plays it has a LB or Safety that is supposed to be on man coverage lined up behind the DT or in the middle of the LB's with the WR way out on the perimeter. When the ball is snaped he has to sprint out to his man , and using man align does not work and this can be exploited and is by the computer or a person when you cant manually move him out there before the play without controlling him...
    My Defense for next year will be depending on the development of my players over the summer.

I run the Auburn Offense and try to run no huddle alot. You would think that a Shotgun based offense would not be very good at the run but It is a beast on the ground and very hard to stop because of the single back lineup and TE alinement that allows you to flip the play to either side and be very affective running to either side. Then pass very well by play action and SGun formation when you have them scared of the run. Draw backs are there are only 3 sets that are not shotgun. I am learning to run more out of the gun but it gets very iffy when they bring the blitz and can be blown up for a loss really quick. If yer Oline is weak i would not sujest trying it in key situations.

Help areas:

I struggle stopping the pass I have found a few formations/plays that work good but still get burnt for 300+ most games. I try and blitz and hit the QB alot because when I don't blitz they pick me apart.
  4. csboiler05

csboiler05 Walk On

Jul 23, 2010
    I think I'm going to overhaul my entire game plan, since taking over at UF (and losing Demps for the last half of the year my team went down hill). I generally run a pass heavy offense but it's tough to do with these sliders, so that being said, I'm probably going to see if I can switch to a more traditional running play book, might give Wisconin or Bama a look, OSU might be another good option.

On defense I really like the 4-3 and have always used it, but I might have to consider going to something else, as my team didn't play much D at the end of the year.
  5. maij17

maij17 PSN: MAIJ17

Oct 8, 2009
    I'm sticking with what I'm doing so far with Eastern Michigan on offense and the 4-2-5. Just need to start sticking to the gameplan.
  6. ChaoticUT

ChaoticUT Life is Orange and White!

Jul 19, 2010
    Im trying out the 4-2-5 in the pride because my team is stacked in the secondary and it seems to be a better option then the 3-3-5. In this league Im definitely sticking with the multiple playbook on defense, it just seems to be the best of all worlds. And personally, I like how small it is formation wise. It allows me to run a couple different looks extremely well, instead of a million looks okay.

On offense, Im gonna keep with the Nebraska playbook. Its got everything you can ask for; single back, I-formation, shotgun, option... so far Im sold and wont be switching anytime soon.

Joe_THEDREAM Living a dream

Jun 23, 2009
    I'll have to check Neb's book out for next season. I like a lot of variety. Not a huge 1 back guy but like the rest.