Looking for suggestions

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by gowazzucougs, Mar 14, 2011.

1. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

This past weekend, I took my wireless router to my parents' house. It worked perfectly fine. I returned home yesterday, and now I cannot get it to work. I have tried unplugging it, I have hit the reset button. I have tried to directly connect my computer and Xbox to the router, and there appears to be no connection. I tried to set up a router through my computer and the computer didn't recognize the router. When I directly plug either my computer or Xbox into the cable modem things work fine. Is there something I could be doing wrong, or is my router broken and I need a new. In addition all the lights come on, not the wireless light, but if a chord is plug into one of the slots it lights up. If I need a new one, does anyone have suggestions, it has been a few years since I bought one.

2. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

3. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Are you able to browse to the router when you have it hardwired into your PC?

Usually you can just open up a browser window and type 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.0 - then you'll be prompted for a username/pass which is typically included with your router documentation or if you dont have that try googling it.

I would start there and look through the configuration to see if you can find anything - or upgrade/rollback the firmware or maybe it includes a reset option in there that may work.

Or you could spend the 28 bucks for a new one, heh

4. gowazzucougs

no i cannot browse through the router, or I would have done what you are suggesting. The computer is just not recognizing the router. I guess I may have to get another one. Luckily I get paid this week.

5. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

I'm not sure what you mean by recognizing it - if you can't hit it through a browser though I would say its kaput.

Sometimes manufacturers have a different type of reset that you can try - I would email them about it - my router has 2 different hard reset "commands" i guess you could say - maybe yours does too.

Seems to me like its simpler just to pitch it though.

6. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Have you hard reset it?

Press the small reset button for 30 seconds, let off for 30 second, press for 30 seconds.

That resets most routers to factory default. If you still can't browse to 192.168.1.1 it is shot.

7. gowazzucougs

I know I have pressed the reset button, but it appears it has had no real effect. I will try your method tonight when I get home. I have a feeling the router did not survive the trip back from parents' house.

8. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Routers are pretty tough.

9. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

I had this problem once and I resolved it by holding the small reset button in the back for longer than 30 seconds. If you do a hard reset and don't hold the button long enough I think it can leave you in a state of limbo.

I ended up having to call Linksys tech support to learn this....try to avoid that!

If you don't know the ip address to connect to the admin panel through a web browser sometimes it's on the bottom of the router on the serial # / part # etc plate.