Looks like Freeman is done in Tampa

Discussion in 'Quality Simulation Football' started by sactown, Sep 25, 2013.

1. sactown

sactown Walk On

I just got this txt on my phone.
    On the heels of Sunday's loss to the New England Patriots, Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano told reporters he never considered sitting quarterback Josh Freeman. Now he's changed his mind.
    NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Wednesday that Freeman has been benched in favor of rookie Mike Glennon, according to a source informed of the move. Glennon will start Sunday when the Bucs host the Arizona Cardinals.
    Rapoport reported on NFL Network's "NFL AM" that the Bucs wanted to make the move to Glennon now, with the bye next week, so the rookie could have two full weeks to review corrections after making his first start.
    It was only a matter of time before this trigger was pulled. Freeman has been Tampa's starter since midway through his rookie season in 2009, but his 24-35 record has been marked by inconsistent play.
    Off the field, Freeman -- in the final year of his contract -- made headlines earlier this month for missing the team photo because he overslept. Days later, his teammates didn't select him as a team captain for the first time since his rookie campaign.
    Schiano half-heartedly touted Freeman as his starter all offseason, telling reporters at the NFL Scouting Combine, "I believe that Josh Freeman -- with Josh Freeman -- we'll be able to accomplish our goals."
    The Bucs then used a third-round pick in April's draft to grab Glennon, a strong-armed passer out of North Carolina State who was seen warming up during the loss to New England. Freeman entered this season on shaky soil under a coaching staff that inherited him. As we suggested on Sunday night's "Around the League Podcast," that usually means a switch is coming.
    After long being touted as the future in Tampa, Freeman's days with the Bucs are likely over.

2. LtJustice

LtJustice QSF Commissioner

Guess your move of Freeman was ahead of the curve ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. thafuture3886

thafuture3886 Power Rankings Analyst

I always felt Freeman was overrated. Except for that 1 year they were 10-6 or whatever he's been average in my book

• Like Like x 2
  4. cry_havoc

cry_havoc Walk On

I agree with Curtis

5. PepperNY

PepperNY Fear the Spear

The Jags should offer like a 5th round pick for him. He might be overrated but he's still better then Gabbert and Henne

• Like Like x 2
  6. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

I hope the Vikings trade for him in reality. Anything is better than CP.

• Like Like x 2
  7. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

I'll probably get crushed for this, but I thought Sanchez was even better than Freeman. He has some good WRs to throw to in VJax and Big Mike Williams (add in the muscle hampster too), and he can't even muster average stats or put any points on the board.

That said, I still think Sanchez is poopy.

• Like Like x 1
  8. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

Vikes are 0-3. Have you taken a look at the prospects likely to come out next year?

Teddy Bridgewater
    Marcus Mariota
    AJ McCarron
    Johnny Manziel
    Tahj Boyd
    Brett Hundley
    Aaron Murray
    Derek Carr
    David Fales

I'd bet 4-5 of these QBs go in the top 10, or maybe even the top 5 (Jadeveon is the only obvious pick in the top 5)

• Like Like x 1
  9. ThaBayouChef

ThaBayouChef Walk On

Freeman is a good quarterback. He's gotten a bad rap in Tampa. I'll take him any day over Alex Smith. And the only reason I'm comparing him to Smith is because Freeman has played in a different system every single year like Smith had in San Francisco before Harbaugh. Freeman could go to a handful of teams right now and be a better option than what they currently have. Now with that said, he has to put the drugs down. It's pretty apparent to anyone who's forced, or willingly, to keep up with the Bucs, that Freeman has a substance abuse problem. He sounds dead in interviews, misses his football camp, misses his team photo, and is well known in the Tampa party scene. He needs help and it goes deeper than what you'll hear on ESPN. But, when healthy, and in a stable enviroment/system Freeman will succeed in the NFL. If he's not in a much better situation in 2-3 years I'll be shocked. Hell if not, I would love to have him as a backup in New Orleans as Brees' successor.

Edit: Okay, maybe not LOVE to have him in N.O. But he sure the hell beats Luke McCown!

10. MrWitness36

MrWitness36 Walk On

VBulletin

Alexis Smith over Freeman no sir . In a league of great qb play with the future getting bright at that position I see him as a back up at best

11. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

Guess my wish came true and they didn't even have to trade for him. Sure, I need to be careful of what I wish for, but at this point ANYTHING is better than what the Vikings have at QB. In Freeman I trust.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Juan Valencia

Juan Valencia Walk On

Thats why i traded for Freeman. :wtf:

• Like Like x 1
  13. ThaBayouChef

ThaBayouChef Walk On

See: my above post

Great move by Minnesota. Not saying they will do anything this year. But if they invest in him this off-season, it could do wonders for that offense. Mainly Cordelle Patterson and Kyle Rudolph.

14. Easy Dez It

Easy Dez It Walk On

I wonder if he will come in and start right away? Imo hes not playing much better than Ponder.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  15. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

I don't like Freeman. I honestly think the Vikings would be better suited going after a QB in this stacked draft class.