Archived Los Angeles Angels Team News

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by CeeGee, Apr 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CeeGee

CeeGee Block-O-Nation

[​IMG]

Los Angeles Angels 2012 Season Preview

The Los Angeles Angels have always been known as big spender in Free Agency, and this past Off-Season was no different with the signings of first baseman Albert Pujols and starting pitcher CJ Wilson. Pujols, who is widely considered the best player in the game today, will be paid $240,000,000 over the next 10 years, while CJ Wilson will earn $75,000,000 over the next 5 years.

The Angels were already a playoff contender and possible World Series contender with the addition of Pujols and Wilson, however, now with those two in the mix, they are considered one of the World Series front runners heading into the 2012 Season.

THE HITTERS

[​IMG]
    Albert Pujols introduced in Los Angeles.

With Pujols in the heart of the lineup, the Angels will have one of the most formidable offenses in the American League. After speaking with manager Mike Sciocia I was able to get an idea of what the Angles lineup might look like.

1. Peter Bourjos - CF
    2. Howie Kendrick - 2B
    3. Albert Pujols - 1B
    4. Mark Trumbo - 3B
    5. Torri Hunter - RF
    6. Kendrys Moralas - DH
    7. Mike Trout - LF
    8. Erick Aybar - SS
    9. Chris Ianetta - C

If this is in fact the starting everyday lineup for the Angels, that would mean that Veteran Outfielders Vernon Wells and Bobby Abreu would be on the outside looking in, and could possibly be on the trade block before the Angles even break camp. I wouldn't expect the Angels to pay Vernon Wells $21,000,000 per year for the next 3 years to just sit on the bench or platoon with someone else. I'd expect that they Angels and GM CeeGee would be willing to part with him, and his ridiculously high salary for a bag of balls and a extra bats at this point...

"We have a logjam in the Outfield... We've been weighing all the possible options and I am pretty confident that we'll be making a move fairly soon"
    -Angels GM CeeGee

THE PITCHERS

[​IMG]
    Jared Weaver leads the best Pitching staff in the American League.

As far as the starting rotation goes, you would be hard pressed to find a better rotation than the one the Angels will roll out in 2012.

1. Jared Weaver
    2. Dan Harren
    3. CJ Wilson
    4. Ervin Santana
    5. Garrett Richards

This is such a good rotation that number One (1) through Four (4) could be #1 starters on nearly any other team in Baseball, while Richards has the stuff of a solid #3 on most clubs.

The bullpen is no slough either, with young stud Closer Jordan Walden locking up the back end of the bullpen, and solid Set up men Scott Downs and LaTroy Hawkins in front of him, the Angels starters really only have to go 6 solid innings on any given night. The 7th, 8th and 9th will be in good hands all year long.

"On any given day I feel like our Starting Pitcher could go out there and throw a shutout... But, if for some reason they struggle on a given day, I have full confidence in out pen to handle their business and keep us in the ballgame"
    - Angels GM CeeGee

2012 EXPECTATIONS

After spending over $300,000,000 this past Off-Season, you know the Owner wont accept failure this Season... This Angles team is built to win, and built to win now... Anything less than a AL West Division Championship and a trip to the World Series will be a disappointment when you consider the amount of talent that is on this roster.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
    • Like Like x 3
  2. CeeGee

CeeGee Block-O-Nation

THE TIME IS NOW

After an impressive Spring training, LA Angels Top Pitching Prospect John Hellweg has locked down #5 spot in the Rotation...

[​IMG]

23 year old Right Hander John Hellweg performed very well during Spring Training and he has earned himself a spot as the #5 Starter in the Angels rotation... Hellweg was in competition with Garrett Richards, but clearly outperformed him all through Spring Training.

Hellweg has a great Fastball, thats been clocked in the upper 90's. Combine that with a devestating slider that runs away from Righties and cuts in hard on Lefties, and Hellweg should have some success at the big league level.

The only real knock on the kid is his Control. At times he just losses it and can't buy a strike.

He should get plenty of run support in the games he pitches, as the Angels will field one of the best lineups in all of Major League Baseball.

• Like Like x 1
  3. CeeGee

CeeGee Block-O-Nation

OPENING DAY!
    [​IMG]
    The Angels opened the Season vs AL West Division Rival Emmdotfrisk and the Oakland A's... Jared Weaver got the Opening Day start, and didn't have his best stuff. He was lit up early for 3 quick runs in the 1st inning, 2 of which came off a 2r HR by Seth Smith.​
    Down 3-0 early, the Angels would scrap and claw their way back into the game with a few runs in the bottom of the 1st...​
    Weaver had another rough inning later in the game and gave up back to back Bombs to Seth Smith and Yoenis Cespedesgave... Angels were down 5-2 midway through the game but were still battling each inning.​
    In the 6th (or 7th I can't remember) the Angels finally broke through and took the lead, trailing 5-3 at the time, Hanley Ramirez came to the plate with 2 men on, and took one out to Left Center. The 3r HR put the Angels up 6-5 and they would not relinquish the lead. Jordan Walden came in, in the 9th to lock up his first save of the Season.​
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
    GAME 2
    [​IMG]
    The Angels Offense exploded in their 2nd game of the Season as they played Long Ball and defeated the Mariners 11-3.​
    On the day, Albert Pujols, Tori Hunter, Mark Trumbo and Vernon Wells all went Deep.​
    Starting Pitcher Dan Haren had a solid game also, going 7 innings and only giving up 3 runs.​
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
    GAME 3
    [​IMG]
    After going crazy vs the Mariners in the previous game, the Angels were baffled by BobJr and Rangers SP Colby Lewis in this one... It appeared as if the Angels hitters were trying to hit a Home Run in every at bat and that led to 13 strikeouts on the day...​
    Angles SP CJ Wilson pitched great vs his former team, throwing an 8 inning complete game, but he was the tough luck loser, losing the game 2-0...​
    Outside of Colby Lewis, and his 13k, 3 hitter, Michael Young was a huge factor in the game for the Rangers. Young had two, RBI Doubles on the game and that was all Lewis needed as he was simply dominate on the hill.​

4. CeeGee

CeeGee Block-O-Nation

Angles acquire Hanley Ramirez.

In a trade that surprised many fans, the Angels and Marlins came to agreement on the 1st true blockbuster trade of the 2012 Season.

The Angels agreed to send Outfielder and Rising Star Mike Trout and Catching Prospect Hank Cronger to Miami in exchange for 3B / SS Hanley Ramirez

Clearly this move was made by the Angles and GM CeeGee in an effort to "Win Now" as apposed to waiting for Mike Trout to fully develop... Some have already openly criticized the move because Trout is arguably the Best Hitting Prospect in all of Baseball and is the type of player that you could build an organization around...

Marlins GM soxandgators stated that he hated to make this move, but, he simply couldn't pass up the opportunity to acquire a player of Mike Trout's potential and Star Power... "Hanley is our best player, a team leader, and a fan favorite... but I simply can't give up the chance to get a player like Mike (Trout)"
    Marlins GM soxandgators

Its clear that this move was financially motivate from the Marlins perspective. As, "right now" Hanley Ramirez is clearly the best player in the Trade. Down the road however, when Hanley is over 30 years old and declining, Mike Trout should be entering the Prime of his Career... By then, with the Money they saved in this deal, the Marlins and GM soxandgators will have surely put some more pieces around Trout and should have a solid team down their in South Beach.

It would have made sense for the Angels to simply stand pat this year, and go with their 3 "old" Outfielders, Torri Hunter, Vernon Wells and Bobby Abreu and let Mike Trout and Peter Bourjos fully develop. Then next year they could have started Trout and Bourjos in the Outfield together...Hindsight is always 20/20 and only time will tell if this was a good trade for the Angels and Marlins.

One thing is for sure, this Trade has given the Angels one of, if not THE best lineup from Top to Bottom in the Majors.

1. CF - Peter Bourjos
    2. 3B / SS - Hanley Ramirez
    3. 1B - Albert Pujols
    4. 3B/DH - Mark Trumbo
    5. RF - Torri Hunter
    6. LF - Vernon Wells
    7. DH/1B - Kendrys Morales
    8. 2B - Howie Kendrick
    9. C - Chris Ianetta

Hanley Ramirez wont play every game at 3rd base, in fact, he'll play mostly at Shortstop like he did for so many Year in Miami... Reason being, the Angels need to get Mark Trumbo's bat in the Lineup and they will be using him at 3B early in the Season... If things don't work out at 3rd for Trumbo, he will see some time at 1B and DH and Kendrys Morales will be the one left out...

Some teams have already contacted the Angels about the availability of SS Erick Aybar as of right now however, Aybar has not Officially been put on the trade block.

• Like Like x 1
  5. CeeGee

CeeGee Block-O-Nation

Angels lock up Two Core Pieces for the Future..

News out of Angels camp is that they have locked up two of their future stars who's contracts were expiring after the 2012 Season. Details for the contract extensions have not yet been released, however, they are both believed to be in the 4 year, $4,000,000 dollar range.

Outfielder - 24 years old - Kole Calhoun

[​IMG]

Calhoun is expected to take over in the Outfield sooner rather than later. The trade of Mike Trout to Miami only increases his chances of getting a big league call up later this Season. Angles scouting Director Ric Wilson absolutely loves Coulhon's potential, and feels he will be in the Open Day lineup for the start of the 2013 Season.

SS / 2B - 22 year old - Jean Segura

[​IMG]

Segura has quickly become the Angels prized possession. It has been said that he has the tools to become the next Jose Reyes. He has tremendous speed and great contact ability at the plate. He is on pace to be in the big leagues in 2013 and that leaves a few question marks as far as the future of current Shortstop Erik Aybar, who's contract expires after the 2012 Season.

6. CeeGee

CeeGee Block-O-Nation

A letter To Angels fans Everywhere.

I have received thousands of Emails from upset Angels fans around the globe in this past week. Most of which have been talking about one thing... The recent trade of Blue Chip Prospect Mike Trout. Now, I'll preface this by saying I don't normally respond or "defend" the moves that I make as General Manager, however, when dealing with such a High Profile / Popular Player like Mike Trout, I feel like an explanation is warranted.

As you all know, this past Off-Season we brought in some very big named, high priced Free Agents. Our new 1st Baseman Albert Pujols and Starting Pitcher, CJ Wilson were brought in to help do one thing and one thing only... Win the World Series...

The recent trade of Fan Favorite Mike Trout was negotiated with that same thought process in mind. We know that Mike is a fantastic Ballplayer and there is no doubt in our minds that he will be a fantastic Major Leaguer for many years to come. However, as our team is currently constructed, we simply don't have the time needed to wait for Mike to fully develop. We wish him all the best in Miami and we're all certain that he will do a great job for them in the coming years.

In return for Mike, we feel like we acquired one of the best all around Players in the game today. Twenty eight year old, Third Baseman / Shortstop Hanley Ramirez. As I'm sure all of you know, Hanley is an amazing athlete and can do things that simply can't be done by others. He can run, he can hit for average, he can hit for Power, he can steal bases, he is what you envision when you think of a "5 Tool Player".

Now, Some will say that Mike Trout is all of these things as well, which we do not disagree. However, the difference between Hanley and Mike is, Hanley is there RIGHT NOW. We don't have to wait for Hanley to develop as he is currently in the Prime of his Career. The addition of Hanley Ramirez gives us a better chance to win the World Series RIGHT NOW, and that is why the Trade was made.

I hope you now understand why we made the trades. I knew Mike Trout was a popular player and great young man, however, we simply couldn't pass up the opportunity to acquire a player of Hanley Ramirez's talent. We feel that with Hanely Ramirez now in the mix, we have a better chance to deliver YOU, THE FANS of the Los Angeles Angels a World Series Championship THIS YEAR.

Regards,
    Los Angeles Angels GM CeeGee

BobJr, Emmdotfrisk, cp0990, KnightNoles, ryty32, NDCOLTS1979, County5, sdid22, MoonBBad, cadepetty247, HAL9100, _MG_, controllerabuser, BigSmooth33, G_T_G, soxandgators, pitt4life21, Blackattack87

• Like Like x 2
  7. CeeGee

CeeGee Block-O-Nation

ITS RALLY TIME!!!
    [​IMG]

Ladies and Gentleman and All the Fans of the Los Angeles Angels. We've got some great news coming out of the Angels Marketing Department!

Every fan that attends an Angels home game will be receiving a FREE RALLY MONKEY!!!

You heard it right, FREE!

So get your butts down to the Ballpark and Cheer on your ANGELS!!!

Disclaimer:
    due to United States Laws that are beyond our control, we are not authorized to give out free "live" monkey's... So, every fan will be receiving a replica "stuffed animal" monkey instead. We apologize for any confusion.

BobJr, Emmdotfrisk, cp0990, KnightNoles, ryty32, NDCOLTS1979, County5, sdid22, MoonBBad, cadepetty247, HAL9100, _MG_, controllerabuser, BigSmooth33, G_T_G, soxandgators, pitt4life21, Blackattack87

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  8. CeeGee

CeeGee Block-O-Nation

Angles GM CeeGee Suspends Right Fielder Torri Hunter for 3 games.

News out of Los Angeles today is that Angels GM CeeGee has come down hard on Right Fielder Torri Hunter for his inability to follow simple rules...

Torri has been warned in the past about trying to throw runners out from Right Field at 1st base on sharply hit singles (something that is severely frowned upon in the TCBL)...

Despite his previous warning, Hunter tried again in the Angels most recent game vs the Toronto Blue Jays...

The attempt was unsuccessful, however, the intent was there...

For his actions, Torri Hunter will be inactive for 3 of the 6 games in the coming Week of TCBL... It is expected that Bobby Abreu will take Hunters place in Right Field...

When asked about the situation, Hunter replied "no comment"

Acting General Manager and Manger CeeGee released a statement regarding the situation.

"I take sportsmanship seriously, and I expect my players to do the same. When one of them consistently breaks a rule, that he has been previous warned about, then I am forced to step in... Torri knows what he did was wrong, and now, he will have to pay the price"

• Like Like x 1
  9. CeeGee

CeeGee Block-O-Nation

Albert Pujols and Torri Hunter Suspended for the remainder of the 2012 Season.

The TCBL League Office has dropped the hammer on the Angels and their fans... News out of the TCBL Headquarters is that both, Albert Pujols and Torri Hunter have been suspended for the entire Season for their roles in the recent controversies.

Torri Hunter was not available for comment.

Albert Pujols was however:
    "I'm not really sure how I got pulled into all of this. I guess I have to live with the decision that has been made, but I'm a little confused on what I did wrong."

Angels GM CeeGee said:
    "This is a move that we don't 100% agree with, however, we understand that we have to pay the piper when our players break the rules. We'll continue to play hard and try to win as many games as possible without Albert and Torri but there is no doubt in my mind that this decision will hurt us moving forward."

There is also a good chance that Torri Hunter has played his last game in a LA Angels uniform. Its been known for awhile that the Angels are not willing to Extend his contract for the type of Dollars that he is asking, somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 years $95,000,000. With that being said, if the TCBL League Office allows it, I'm sure the Angels will look to trade Hunter sometime in the coming weeks.

As you can imagine, Angels fans everywhere are in an uproar about this decision.

• Like Like x 5
  10. CeeGee

CeeGee Block-O-Nation

2012 FAN APPRICIATION DAYS at the BIG "A"

Thank you fans for all of your support!
    Hey fans! Come out to the Big "A" as the Angels take on the Texas Rangers during Fan Appreciation Day.

All fans in attendance will automatically be entered to win great prizes including:

• 2013 Season tickets
    • 2013 Single game tickets
    • Game worn Jerseys
    • Chance to run the bases.
    • Chance to throw out the first pitch at a future home game
    • Free food, beverage vouchers

11. CeeGee

CeeGee Block-O-Nation

Down on the Farm
    Los Angeles Angels Minor League Report.
    [​IMG]

Top Prospects

1. 20yo - LF Keith Mack - Orem Owlz - Pioneer League (R)
    2. 21yo - P Chris Brown - Orem Owlz - Pioneer League (R)
    3. 22yo - SS Jean Segura - Arkansas Travelers - Texas League (AA)
    4. 20yo - P Eswarlin Jimenez - Orem Owlz - Pioneer League (R)
    5. 18yo - SS Bruce Jones - Orem Owlz - Pioneer League (R)
    6. 18yo - 3B John Sullivan - Orem Owlz - Pioneer League (R)
    7. 20yo - 3B Kaleb Cowart - Tempe Angels - Arizona League (R)
    8. 23yo - P Orangel Arenas - Arkansas Travelers - Texas League (AA)
    9. 17yo - P Carlos Abreu - Orem Owlz - Pioneer League (R)
    10. 20yo - 2B Taylor Lindsey - Cedar Rapids Kernels - Midwest League (A)

In depth analysis.

1. LF Keith Mack

[​IMG]

- Selected with the 20th pick in the 2nd round of the 2012 MLB Draft. Angles GM CeeGee was shocked that he lasted that long, and jumped at the chance to grab him. Mack has exceptional Power Potential and he has the work ethic to reach that potential quickly. Scouts from around the league have speculated that Mack could be ready for the Majors as early as 2013.

2012 Stats:
    113 AB - 30 H - 4 2B - 1 3B - 9 HR - 28 RBI - 33 BB - 33 K - .265 AVG - .436 OBP - .558 SLG
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. P Chris Brown

[​IMG]

- This guy has the potential to go down as one of the greatest closers in history. If he can get his control issues under control (no pun intended) and develop his Circle Change to go along with his dominate fastball, he should be a dominate force on the mound for a long time. He was selected 19th overall in the 2012 MLB Draft.

2012 Stats:
    19.2 IP - 2-1 W/L - 1 SV - 27 HA - 3 HR - 17 BB - 16 K - 9.15 era - 2.24 whip.

As you can see the Walks are really killing Brown early on this Year. Control is the #1 issue for him, and the fact that he only throws 2 pitches will be a concern going forward if he can't work through his Control issues.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. SS Jean Segura

[​IMG]

- Segura is probably the most Major League ready prospect in the Angels Farm System. There are many that believe he could skip the Triple A level completely and jump straight from Double A Arkansas straight to the Major League Club later this year. The acquisition of Hanley Ramirez may have prolonged Segura's stay in the Angels Minor League System, but its only a matter of time until this kid reaches the Bigs.

2012 Stats:
    423 AB - 137 H - 25 2B - 5 3B - 15 HR - 78 RBI - 33 BB - 74 K - .324 AVG - .394 OBP - .520 SLG - 22 SB

He's ready, its just a matter of time.

4. P Eswarlin Jimenez

[​IMG]

- Jimenez is having a rough year. He's doesn't seem to be adjusting well just yet. Despite his struggle he is still holding his own. There just isn't much that catches your eye at the moment. The good news is this kid is only 20 years old, and being Left Handed definitely helps him out in the long run. Right now he is holding lefties to just a .130 avg so that's one positive so far.

2012 Stats
    43.1 IP - 3-2 W/L - 43 HA - 26 BB - 41 K - 4.57 ERA - 1.59 WHIP

5. SS Bruce Jones

[​IMG]

- Jones, the 19th pick in the 3rd round of the 2012 MLB Draft is having a little trouble early on this Season. Currently only batting .227 on year with a strike out to walk ratio of about 2 to 1. He needs to work on his discipline at the plate and that should help him out dramatically. Being only 18 years old and fresh out of High School helps him here, as he has plenty of time to develop. With Top Flight SS Prospect Jean Segura in front of him, there may be a position change in his future.

2012 stats:
    141 AB - 32 H - 8 2B - 1 3B - 2 HR - 19 RBI - 21 BB - 38 K - .227 AVG - .333 OBP - .340 SLG - 6 SB

6. 3B John Sullivan

[​IMG]

- 4th round pick out of Irving Texas, John Sullivan is doing pretty well for the Owlz. Currently batting .250 on the year, and showing some nice flashes at the hot corner as well. The 18 year old could develop into a very good player down the road. He just needs to iron out his swing a bit and stay focused in every at bat.

2012 stats:
    112 AB - 28 H - 6 2B - 4 HR - 17 RBI - 26 BB - 30 K - .250 AVG - .397 OBP - .411 SLG - 4 SB

7. 3B Kaleb Cowart

[​IMG]

- Before the 2012 MLB Draft, Cowart was pretty much a lock to be the Angels future Third Baseman. However, with the Selection of 3B John Sullivan in the 4th round and the possible position change of SS Bruce Jones Cowart is now in a tough spot. He is probably further along in his development that those two listed, but, its clear to mostly everyone that both players have much more potential than Cowart. How long will he be able to hold them off? Time will tell, but if I had to guess I would say not long...

2012 Stats:
    117 AB - 29 H - 6 2B - 1 3B - 7 HR - 21 RBI - 17 BB - 30 K - .248 AVG - .360 OBP - .496 SLG

8. P Orangel Arenas

[​IMG]

- Arenas is having a great Season so far down in Double A Arkansas. Its expected that he will be promoted to Triple A very soon. If he does well there, a late Season call up to the Big League Club is not out of the question.

2012 Stats:
    136.2 IP - 9-6 W/L - 3.16 ERA - 1.08 WHIP - 111 HA - 36 BB - 96 K

9. P Carlos Abreu

[​IMG]

- Abreu has not yet pitched in a game this year. He is expected to be one of the better pitchers in the entire Minor League Organization. He throws a Fastball, Changeup, Splitter and a mean Forkball. Not much of a strike out pitcher, but a great Ground Ball inducer.

10. 2B Taylor Lindsey

[​IMG]

- Once considered to be the future Second Baseman for the Angels, Lindsey has fallen off just a bit with the draft selections of SS Bruce Jones and 3B John Sullivan. Despite his uncertain future, he is putting together a pretty solid season so far in Single A Cedar Rapids.

2012 Stats:
    358 AB - 95 H - 26 2B - 5 3B - 8 HR - 47 RBI - 43 BB - 74 K - .265 AVG - .394 OBP - .433 SLG - 7 SB

That's all I have for now...

I hope you enjoyed the read. :D

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  12. CeeGee

CeeGee Block-O-Nation

Vernon Wells walks off vs Texas Rangers
    9th inning heroics give LA the 3-2 Win over Texas

[​IMG]

In a tie game, 2-2 in the Bottom of the 9th, Vernon Wells hit the 1st pitch of the inning out of the park for a game winning, walk off homer vs BobJr and the Texas Rangers... The home run was only the 6th hit of the ballgame for the Angels, as both teams were pitching their A**** off... Neither team could sustain any sort of ralley the whole night.

Rangers SP Yu Darvish started the game by striking out 6 consecutive batters... Angels SP Ervin Santana took a no-no into the 4th inning before allowing a 2 run Homer to 2B Ian Kinsler...

All in all it was a fabulous pitching matchup between Darvish and Santana with great defense behind them, runs were at a premium...

Its a shame that one team had to lose this one.

GG BobJr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.