LSU 2013-2014 Season Preview

Discussion in 'Chompion's League' started by MrWitness36, Jun 20, 2013.

1. MrWitness36

MrWitness36 Walk On

Can the LSU Tigers get back to Atlanta? One of the most consistent teams in college football, LSU’s 10-3 record from last season seemed to be just average. 10 wins for any program is a great benchmark number, but the Bengal Tigers seemed to not play with the same intensity as other teams in the SEC.

Offense: The off-season buzz is the hiring of the National Football Champs Baltimore Raven offensive coordinators Cam Cameron. Coach Witness comments are " Cam glad to have him here and looking forward to this season with him".

Defense: Witness will be running a base 4-3 defense. The focus point is secondary with Safety Eric Reid departure to the NFL. Who will step up to be the leader for a young secondary unit? Could it be Sr FS Craig Loston.

QB: #8 Zach Mettenberger RS SR
    Mettenberger will have to improve on his football I.Q. and decision making if he wants to stand a chance against a true SEC powerhouse like Alabama. But with so many weapons for Mettenberger to choose from, if he can win games early and gain confidence, LSU may be open to tweaking their offense to a pass-first mentality. Until then, LSU has to implement a simple playbook that relies on a good running game to maximize their chances.

SS: #6 Craig Loston SR
    Hard-hitting safety that goes into his second season as a starter in the secondary … Will be the leader of LSU’s defensive backfield in 2013. Has tremendous knowledge of the LSU defensive scheme and many times knows where the ball is going before it gets there … Has played in 35 games during his career, starting 14 times … Registered 91 career tackles to go with 4.0 tackles for loss and six takeaways (4 interceptions, 1 forced fumble, 1 fumble recovery)

OL: #70 La'el Collins JR
    Powerful run blocker who has played in 20 games with 13 starts on the offensive line for the Tigers ... Spent first two years playing guard ... Will give left tackle a try in the spring in hopes of replacing the departed Josh Dworcazyk at that position in 2013 ...For career, has played 882 snaps with 69.5 knockdowns.

MLB: #57 Lamin Barrow SR
    LSU's top returning tackler in 2013 after having a breakout year as a junior with 104 total tackles for the 10-3 Tigers ... With the departure of middle linebacker Kevin Minter to the NFL, will be LSU's leader on defense ... Can play either inside or outside linebacker ... Will be one of the top linebackers in the SEC as a senior in 2013 ... Go into final season with the Tigers having played in 39 games with 15 starts ... Has recorded 139 tackles and 9.0 tackles for loss in his career.

HB: #33 Jeremy Hill SO
    Talented running back who goes into the 2013 season as one of the best players at his position in college football ... Burst onto the scene midway through his true freshman season when a rash of injuries hit the LSU backfield ... Made the most of his opportunity and wound up leading the Tigers in rushing with 755 yards and 12 TDs on just 142 carries .

WR: #3 Odell Beckham Jr
    Will team with Jarvis Landry to give LSU one of the top receiving combinations in the SEC in 2013 ... In two years with the Tigers, has caught 84 passes for 1,188 yards and four TDs ... Has caught at least one pass in 25 of 27 games, including all 13 in 2012 ... Played in 26 games with 21 starts, including nine as a true freshman in 2011 ... Averages 12.9 yards every time he touches the football as he's accounted for 1,784 all-purpose yards on 138 attempts ... Precise route-runner with tremendous hands ... Appears to glide across the field ... Not afraid to take a hit ... Good with the ball after a catch as well ... Doubles as a punt returner and kickoff returner for the Tigers

Key incoming freshman:

4* Jeryl Brazil-An impact player on either side of the ball and anywhere on the field, he was LSU’s first commitment for the class of 2013. Played quarterback, running back, and cornerback for Loranger High School as well as being one of the most decorated sprinters in Louisiana prep history

4* Anthony Jennings-A dynamic dual-threat quarterback who graduated from high school in December ... Enrolled at LSU in January and will take part in spring practice ... A consensus four star prospect by all of the major recruiting publications ... Made the finals of ESPN Rise's Elite 11 passing competition ... Named the MVP of the Elite 11 Atlanta Region over 86 quarterbacks from 19 states, including 21 with Division I offers

4* Maquedius Bain-A tough defender that possess great overall size and projects to play on the inside of the defensive line ... A participant in the 2013 Under Armour All-American Game with the Black Team ... A four-star rated prospect by ESPN.com and 247sports.com

2. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

Nice write up MrWitness36. I think you joined '13 while I was in Europe, so I'm looking forward to being in the league together and seeing your contribution. Interested to see how you and your tigers fare in what looks to be the toughest user conference, but for the 11th pick in the draft you can't ask for much better than LSU.

3. MrWitness36

MrWitness36 Walk On

I agree Spayer I was lucky to get them but it was tough. I didnt know who to get ole miss, miss st and bama are looking good. I look forward to this year and having fun let the games begin.

4. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

Ole Miss would have been interesting because of that class. Why LSU instead of Bama?

5. MrWitness36

MrWitness36 Walk On

I like what Saban done but Bama is just a little bit to ridiculous on the ratings. They are already built up and its no place to go but down for them I think. I played with LSU in the past before and kinda enjoyed it a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

I like their stadium and uni options a lot too

7. MrWitness36

MrWitness36 Walk On

I forgot all about the uniforms options I normally take that in consideration.