LSU @ #8 Florida

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by RynoAid, Nov 11, 2009.

1. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

LSU @ #8 Florida

This game was another Ryno/Steelah classic that harkened back to their old coaching days in the Big 12. Florida was looking to rebound from a tough loss to Rocky top as the up and down LSU Tigers came calling in "the Swamp". The Gators jumped all over LSU before they even got off the bus... running up three straight scores in the first half of the 1st qtr. The game was 17-0 Florida before anyone could blink.

Two early fumbles by LSU gave Florida the opening they were looking for and they took advantage, mixing up the run and pass and putting points on the board.LSU tried to regroup, and was able to stop the bleeding and put some points on the board themselves. At halftime i believe the score was 20-7 Florida.

The Tigers got the ball to start the 2nd half and it looked like a totally different team. Junior dual threat QB Shepard showed the versatility that LSU wants and used his arm and legs to spark the offense.
    Senior WR Tolliver and Sophomore HB Eric Ferwerda also provided some punch in a 3rd qtr that would see LSU put up 21 points. But not all by the offense. All American Soph FS Cory Hart would pick off a juggled pass after the Florida WR took a huge hit from the LSU SS.

Hart would take the INT to the house... solidifying the changing momentum as the 3rd qtr wound down. LSU would continue to surge ahead, going up 15 points with 6 minutes left in the 4th qtr... but the Gators were not done yet. Florida mounted a ferverous comback, stripping LSU HB Ferwerda and intercepting Shepard for a pick 6... all of a sudden, Florida was back in the lead by 7 points with just over a minute to play.

LSU roared down the field however, mixing in some big running plays by Shepard and Ferwerda and Senior TE TC McCartney also came up huge with a long catch down the seam.The Tigers scored with 24 seconds left when Shepard found Rueben Randall on a cross in the back of the endzone. Overtime - game tied at 49-49

LSU won the toss and put their defense on the field first. The Tigers stuffed Florida's first rush attempt, then thwarted a 2nd down pass attempt. This left 3rd down and 12... Junior All American DT Davenport broke free as the Florida QB rolled right and he came up with a huge sack, pushing the gators out to the 35 yard line.

Florida was staring down a 52 yard kick into a 4mph wind and decided to take a shot to the endzone instead... it almost payed off but LSU CB Taylor rolled his coverage to the corner of the endzone, just in time to break up the desperate attemp by the Gators to score.

LSU took over possession and moved the ball 6 yards in three plays and set up for the game winning FG... ice ice baby...... to no avail, LSU kicks it through and takes a wild game in Gainsville 52-49. GG Steelah... i was an emotional wreck after this one... (y)

2. VaSteelah

VaSteelah Swollen Member

Yeah man, perfect review. That had to be the best game I have ever been involved in.
    You forgot to mention that huge stop you had on your 1 yd line after that PI call with 1 second left in the half. I knew I should of taken the field goal.
    That game was insane. As for attempting a 52 yard field goal in OT, I dont have the kickers for that at all,lol.

3. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Great writeup! Another heartbreaker for Florida. Sounds like Sheppard will be a great player for LSU this year and next year if you can keep him? (Is he a jR?)

4. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    dayum ryno prolly woulda rolled over in his grave if Steelah completed that pass lol.

5. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

ill post the replay of Florida's last play..i saved it. I saved 5 highlights, ill upload them tonight

6. jfosh

jfosh Super

Bout time the SEC West stepped up. After last year I was a little worried.