LSU Game Summaries: 2012 Season

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by controllerabuser, Dec 7, 2009.

1. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

[YOUTUBE]yhe2iUP9yPU[/YOUTUBE]

Russell Sheppard, our QB!
    [YOUTUBE]g5Ul6myzNxU[/YOUTUBE]

More to come....

2. controllerabuser

LSU Schedule

Week 1 at Notre Dame
    Week 2 vs WVU
    Week 3 vs Miss St.
    Week 4 vs South Carolina
    Week 5 BYE
    Week 6 at Florida
    Week 7 at Kentucky
    Week 8 at Auburn
    Week 9 vs Southern Miss
    Week 10 BYE
    Week 11 vs Alabama
    Week 12 vs Ole Miss
    Week 13 at Arkansas
    Week 14 at Tulane

3. controllerabuser

Week 1

#9 LSU 35 @ #6 Notre Dame 31

[​IMG]

1st Quarter
    Notre Dame would get the ball first as LSU won the toss but elected to kick. LSU's defense would show up the Irish offense forcing a 3 & out. However, the LSU offense just didn't match the intensity of their counterparts. Mainly, Michael Ford, as he would fumble his 1st of 2 turnovers. Giving the Irish the ball at the 16. Notre Dame would draw first blood. 7-0

LSU's Doug Castillo fills the void of Terrance Toliver returning the ensuing kickoff 93 yards for a tie ball game. LSU would force a punt after the Irish drove a little. Ford would fumble for the second time. ND is set up inside our red zone.

2nd Quarter
    ND's Gerald Brown grabs a 2 yard TD. LSU comes out needing to do something. Being down 14-7, facing true adversity, LSU would try to shake things up. Yet, we turn the ball over for the 3rd time. This time, Russell Shepard pitches the ball into the hands of a defender who takes it to the house for a commanding 21-7 ND lead.

LSU puts together a magnificent scoring drive that ended with a TD catch by Doug Castillo from Russell Shepard. 14-21

3rd Quarter
    Shepard would hit Reuben Randle on a 3rd and 11 to tie the game at 21. After giving up a 3rd & 10 to a huge catch and run by Deion Walker, LSU's D stands tough by forcing a FG, 21-24.

LSU makes a statement as they march the field scoring on a 49 yard TD by Doug Castillo. LSU would force a 3 & out.

4th Quarter
    Notre Dame would get the go ahead with 2:28 left, 28-31.

Do or die time, Russell Shepard leads his Tigers to victory as he connects with Doug Castillo, yet again inside ND's red zone for a game winning 35-31. ND did have a chance but didn't come through on a last second bomb to the end zone.

Coaches thoughts:
    Big game, big win. I didn't expect our offense to be that efficient. If you would have told me the rushing stats Michael Ford had, I would have guessed we were dominated. Russell Shepard is scary. Too bad we only have him for this last year. We aren't only relying on 1 receiver this year. That will be key in our battles with Mississippi State, Florida and Alabama. As teams could just focus on Toliver. This year, you have to stop 4 people from doing damage. Doug Castillo, being the main threat. The run game was stopped short due to turnovers. We will practice very hard this next week on not turning the ball over. This will not be a good outcome if this situation arises again.

The defense played decent. I think they could have played a lot better. I don't think our D-line managed one sack. That is horrible considering our defensive ends are rated 98 overall. However, they did manage to stifle the run game of Notre Dame. I think they would have played better had they not been put into the situation they faced early on. In a hostile environment, they buckled a bit. Which isn't a good thing, obviously. Yet, they stepped up in the end when they were needed the most.

The special teams was key today. Down 7-0, Doug Castillo made a statement to the college football world, that he is just as explosive, if not more than Terrance was last year. He is a beast.

LSU Player Stats

Passing
    Russell Shepard 19-24 290 4TD

Rushing
    Michael Ford 17-62

Receiving
    Doug Castillo 7-105 3TD
    Reuben Randle 4-90 1TD
    Michael Ford 3-45
    TC McCartney 2-21

Up Next: vs West Virginia

4. controllerabuser

Week 2

West Virginia 17 @ #6 LSU 42 ​

A great battle in the 1st half turned into a dominant performance in the 2nd half by LSU. We lit the Mountaineers up and cruised to a 42-17 victory, I believe.

5. controllerabuser

Week 3

Mississippi State 0 @ #4 LSU 20

Defense wins championships!

LSU came out today to prove that they are ready to compete for the SEC championship and perhaps the National Title. Mississippi State strolled into Death Valley with one loss against a top 25 ranked USC Trojan team. LSU prepared all week to just simply play smart and not flashy. Well, they did just that. Allowing the defense to make plays. They forced bad field position, drive after drive. On 3rd and short, in past years, LSU would have called a pass. This year, stick to the gameplan and that's what we did. Run the ball. I am very happy with this win, as it gets us ready for two tough SEC battles down the road against you know who, Florida & Alabama.

1st Quarter
    No scores, both teams felt the opposition out.

2nd Quarter
    LSU strikes first on a Michael Ford TD run. Both teams were stifled in the 1st by their counterparts. LSU was able to pin Mississippi State at their 4 yard line. This would be key. LSU would then add points as they were stopped, 10-0.

MSU would put together a vicious drive before half time, looking to cut the game in half. However, a costly interception would result in no points for the Bulldogs.

3rd Quarter
    Ford gets his 2nd touchdown as LSU extends its lead to 17-0.

PLAY OF THE GAME
    MSU would face a huge 4th and 2 right before the quarter ended. They get the conversion, it would be a game. They don't, LSU takes over and likely improves their chances at winning. Both teams come out but LSU is a bit confused, assuming the Bulldogs would run, we call a timeout. Both teams come out, LSU's coach tells the FS to play the middle. He comes up to swat the ball away, turnover on downs, LSU takes over!

4th Quarter
    LSU would get two picks in the 4th and control the clock to a victory!

Passing
    Russell Shepard 9-12 109

Rushing

Michael Ford 26-100 2TD
    Kawika Flores 10-37

Receiving
    Doug Castillo 4-47

Players of the game: These guys made great plays and cost the Bulldogs points.
    (RS)JR Barkevious Mingo, (RS)SR Karnell Hatcher and (RS)SO Reggie Allen

Miss State's playmaker: LSU, shut down Byrd, sort of. Glad to see him leave as he is a great player and a threat to our defense.
    Laron Byrd 5-50

6. controllerabuser

Week 4

South Carolina 10 @ #4 LSU 29

1st Quarter
    South Carolina wins the toss and elects to receive. A facemask penalty inside the 5 gives the Cocks a 1st and goal at the 2. LSU comes up big forcing a field goal. P. Mason boots it to give SC a 3-0 lead.

LSU’s Doug Castillo brings it to the SC 43. A drive of 2 plays puts the Tigers on top. Castillo catches a 10 yard TD.

South Carolina shreds the defense multiple times. Making the secondary look horrible on a 3rd and 15 and inside the red zone. SC takes the lead, 10-7.

2nd Quarter
    LSU gets a big time break as they faced a 3rd and 9. Shepard throws an interception but it was called back on a defensive pass interference. Russell Shepard scores on an option keeper, 14-10.

LSU gets shredded again. However, SC is stuffed on a 4th and inches inside the 15 to give LSU the ball with 3:39. Both teams force each other to punt. LSU takes back over at the 20 with 2:06 left in the half.

Castillo is just way too fast. He runs a simple post route, catches about a 15-20 yard throw and takes it 80 yards for the score. 21-10

3rd Quarter
    LSU starts the 2nd half out with a 10 play drive that resulted in a FG, 24-10.

4th Quarter
    LSU’s M. Lambert hits his 2nd FG on the day for a 27-10 lead.

LSU pins SC at the 4. SC’s QB fumbles on a screen, trying to scramble. LSU players swarm the SC HB for a safety and commanding 19 point lead with 2:41 left.

Passing
    Russell Shepard 6-11 154 2TD

Rushing
    Kawika Flores 27-150
    Russell Shepard 1 TD

Receiving
    Doug Castillo 3-93 2TD
    Chris Tolliver 2-28
    Morris Claiborne 1-33

7. controllerabuser

Week 6

#3 LSU 4-0(2-0) @ #10 Florida 4-1(2-0)​

Make or Break Weekend

Game plan: LSU Tigers will look to exploit LE#98 Travis Andrews as he is the main weakness on the Florida Gators team.

1st Quarter

Florida brings out the guns, striking first to take a 7-0 lead.
    Shepard throws a bad ball which turns to an interception.
    LSU forces a 3 & out.

2nd Quarter
    LSU ties the game up after a pretty display of passing. Herbstreit says, “this offense is really clicking right now.â€ÂÂ

UF makes it first mistake, throwing a pick at our 5 with under 2 minutes remaining.

LSU misses a FG before half.

3rd Quarter
    LSU puts together a brilliant opening 2nd half drive to get the lead with 1:53 to go in the quarter.

UF’s QB Anthony Crowell is hurt on a play. The following play, the back up coughs it up.

4th Quarter
    Florida ties the game at 14 with 3:55 to go.

LSU is able to nail a FG with 1:17 in the 4th.

UF’s HB Mike Gillislee is wide open and breaks it for the game winner.

LSU gets to inside UF’s 10 yard line with 8 seconds to go. No time outs left, they call a pass, nobody open so Shepard takes off up the middle. A couple of defenders are able to stop him at what looked to be inside the 1 and goal line. UF wins, 21-17.

[​IMG]

I just looked back at the last play. I got nervous because I saw he had a lineman rushing towards me. Instead of waiting for 2 more seconds, I took off. Sad thing was, only a couple of inches and the game would have ended in our hands.

Great game sdid22, we always have battles, dating back to last year's game! Good luck on the rest of the season.

8. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

I still think Sheppard got in. I was so excited i didn't get a chance to save anything I just exited it. Great game CA still where you wanna be though gotta beat Bama to get in

9. controllerabuser

Week 7

#9 LSU 38 @ Kentucky 13

The Tigers get back on track with a win at conference foe Kentucky. The game was never in the hands of the Wildcats. Our defense stayed strong throughout the game. Corey Causey, 3rd string running back put in work as he carried the ball 31 times. Finally, getting over 100 yards, the Tigers managed the game well. We are still working the kinks out, preparing for the upcoming battle against Alabama.

Russell Shepard 13-21 216 2TD 1INT

Corey Causey 31-130 2TD

Doug Castillo 7-103 1TD
    TC McCartney 4-78 1TD

10. controllerabuser

Week 8

#9 LSU 21 @ Auburn 14

LSU holds onto a victory as they stay on track to their big showdown with Alabama. This game featured the return of Michael Ford, the SR RB who has been missed severly. He had a decent game in his return which enabled the offense to not be one dimensional. The defense didn't play too well giving up over 300 pass yards to the Auburn QB. Our QB had a mistake free day throwing for over 200 yards. The LSU Tigers try to improve their record next week as they face Southern Miss in what should be a tune-up game.

11. controllerabuser

Week 9

Southern Miss 13 @ #9 LSU 24

LSU didn't play well today. We played horrible. Every time we got something going, it got shut down the next play. Defensively, we played like shit. Everybody played bad. I am glad we have a week off to prepare for Bama, if it was Bama out there, we would have been crushed.

Passing
    Russell Shepard 11-20 154 1INT

Rushing
    Michael Ford 25-114 2TD

Receiving
    Doug Castillo 4-73
    TC McCartney 4-37

12. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

So, what did Southern Miss do that gave you problems?