LSU Recruiting Class

Discussion in 'The Tradition' started by RynoAid, Oct 22, 2009.

1. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

LSU Recruiting Class

The Tigers struggled this year to land the top talent at HB that they tried so hard for, with both Alabama and Auburn securing the targeted players. That rubs salt in the wound from all the time spent trying to convince these players to come to the Bayou.

But neverless, we are still throwing together another solid class (currently ranked #2 in the nation) despite our drop to 5* prestige after a 5 loss season last year.

So let's focus on the positives, none of which includes the scheduling gods, and look to the core group of players we did get.

#1 TE Chris Fowler 6'6 236 - Davie, FL Western H.S. :5stars:

In a great class of TE's this year, he rated out the best on paper. His size was a huge + and drew us to him initially, but his ability to do just about everything was the main reason we focused in on this kid. He runs excellent routes and has great hands. He really excels catching the ball in traffic and will make the chain moving type catches that a QB needs. He's also a devastating run blocker and will help keep LSU running game strong on the edges.

LSU's 2 TE Pistol Hybrid offense requires two talented TE's on the field and this young guy could see time as a Freshman in the 2nd TE slot behind the emerging TC McCartney. He will have to earn his spot, there's another talented TE coming off a redshirt that he will be competing with in spring practices.

#1 T Richie Harrel 6'6 292 - Kings Point, FL Olympic Heights H.S. :5stars:

Another in a long line of highly touted offensive line recruits that seem to be finding their way to LSU every year. He will take his place in line for a future starting spot, 2 years from now. LSU's philosphy has been clear, stock up on the front lines if you want to compete. We will see how well they do as the recruits brought in by this administration start seeing more action on the field.

But back to Harrel... He's a real raw physical kid. If he gets his hands on you, its hard to do much.. but he's not a polished player yet. He needs alot of work on situational awareness and his footwork is poor right now. He could be a monster by his JR-SR year though.

#3 MLB Matt Meyer 5'10 235 - Jonesboro, LA Hodge H.S. :5stars:

Undersized, but not overmatched.. this kid will be part of the future at MLB at LSU. He's quick and real hard to block, he diagnosis plays well and brings the wood when he gets there. He's an excellent tackler but he could struggle in pass coverage being so short. He's a motor guy though, and sometimes those are the guys you need.

Meyer will probably get a redshirted with two experienced and talented MLB coming back for their SR years. But he will be called on his RS FR year to play a major role in the middle at LSU.

#12 CB Thurman Schmidt 6'3 181 - Pittsburg, CA Pittsburg H.S. :4stars:

Rated at 12 Schmidt was not highly recruited, but with the Tigers emerging California Pipeline, he chose to take his talent to the SEC. The LSU scouts have said he graded out much higher in their evaluations. He has nice speed, especially for his size. He's a long lanky guy who made big plays in H.S., returning 4INT's for TD's this season. He played WR also, but his talent will really shine on defense and the staff plans to leave him at CB.

Schmidt is a much needed addition from a speed standpoint. With standout SR CB Patrick Peterson graduating, there will be immediate need for CB's that can run with SEC WR's. And Schmidt can do that. There are high hopes for Thurman in Baton Rouge.

#3 OLB Marcus Hollis 6'1 236 Port Chester, NY Port Chester H.S. :4stars:

The first of a pair of run stuffing OLB's. Marcus will help quench the never ending thirst for talented LB's in Baton Rouge. With the variety of schemes the Tigers throw out their in a game, flexibllity in personel is the key. Hollis has great feet and uses both quickness and power to shed blocks and is excellent in persuit. He could struggle in pass defense though and has alot of coverage technique to learn.

Hollis will have time to mature, but he will need to be ready to play in a year or two. LB strength is of vital importance for LSU and some are critical of the lack of superstars that are choosing other schools. Hollis could prove them wrong.

#9 OLB Bryan McClelland 6'3 229 Humble, TX Humble H.S. :4stars:

This rugged Texas kid is a coach's son and was a all-state standout at tradition rich Humble High School. Very good at recognizing offensive formations and schemes, and has good speed to get there. Definitely better in run situations than in any type of coverage scheme. Will need some polishing to be a well rounded backer in LSU's mix of packages.

Mclelland, like Hollis, will have some time to get up to speed.. but again, the critics are chirping.."where's the blue chipper's we should be getting...?" only time will tell if these kids can compete at the top levels of college football.

There are more, but these are the core of what's been signed.... we have some good ones we are working on too. Hopefully we will finish up strong and maybe land a big fish or two in the final phase of recruiting in January.

2. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    you went heavy on the defense...seems like this year's defensive class was very good.

That TE will be great for LSU IMO...see how Thomas has done for VT's passing game...

3. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

Yea the TE has a year to learn the system... were set at #1 next year with McCartney, he's been a big play monster this year averaging 26 yards a catch or something ridiculous like that.

I expect Fowler to compete real hard for that 2nd spot, if he doesn't i will be dissapointed.

4. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Great report man. I love reading this type of shit.

Fowler I liked him because he's just a good all around player, just a little slow.

He's already a junior, but I still like him.

I like Hollis he can really weed out the ball. McClelland might need a bit more time but seems like he could have big upside.

5. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Meyer is a scrub. I liked McClelleand and was going to offer him week 9 but he insta signed the week before.

6. jfosh

jfosh Super

Everyone always hating on LSU's recruits.

Nice piece Ryno. Both those HB's you lost out on were interested in Bama I could only go after 1 since I was heavily involved with chasing the 2 QB's.

I feel your pain cause you have to figure your going to get one thats why you go for 2.

Nothing like sitting down to recruit in week 8 or 9 and thinking wait a wast of F***ing time.

7. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

that's what people have been telling him his whole life, yet he continues to do it on the field... so we will see bro, we will see.

8. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Yep it's all about the production. can he produce. That's what Rory Gonzales was called by the Texas A&M Coach when he signed with Purdue and he picked off Butler every single time they played :)

9. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    paper tigerssssssssssssss