LV for NCAA '12: OFFICIAL LV NCAA 12 SETUP DISCUSSION

Discussion in 'Legendary Veterans' started by IrishBearcat, May 23, 2011.

1. IrishBearcat

IrishBearcat tFC OD Commissioner

After reading through all the material released about the new features such as Coaching Carousel, OC/DC, Custom Playbooks, Dynamic Custom Conferences, Dynamic Rivalries, Dynamic Bowl Bids, etc. I started to formulate my vision for what I think would be best for LV '12. Here are the steps we need to take:

STEP ONE: THE DRAFT
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I envision this league using Coaching Carousel. As mentioned in previous posts we will be drafting according to winning % (worst first, best last) and I think each pick should consist of 2 actual selections: a "minor/starter" pick and a "major/aspiration" pick as well. I'm considering us drafting where we each pick twice, but with our first pick we'd have to choose either our major or minor league. This would involve some strategy because obviously if you pick a "minor/starter" team first you risk drafting a weaker "major/aspiration" pick if others decide to go with that type of pick in the first round as opposed to the second. I think this would be more fair by preventing the better coaches to get the absolute bottom of the barrel teams.

STEP TWO: CONFERENCES
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We're aiming for a combination or two conferences that make sense. Sun Belt and Big East is a combination that doesn't make a lot of sense due to the length of seperation of the regions. MAC & Big 10 is a combination that makes a lot of sense. With the possibility of coaches being able to jump up to the "majors" whenever they want (this to be decided in a later step) we want to keep it interesting and still have recruiting battles due to proximity between users who aren't both in majors or minors. I'd like us to settle on a Top 3 combinations and then take a vote.

STEP THREE: THE SMALL DETAILS
    Offensive & Defensive Coordinators? Custom Playbooks? 18 teams in the Big 10?! All of that sounds really exciting and may have many chomping at the bit. Let's sit back for a moment and get over the "shiny new toy" syndrome and consider what will be best down the road. I personally don't think any of us are in this to call plays on one side of the ball. This would be something cool for a personal solo OD/OFFLINE Dynasty but with us projected to crank out around 16ish seasons at most, do we really want to waste seasons be OC's and DC's? I don't think so, at least not myself. With the "minor/major" factor as well this is really two ODs in one, so that's 8 seasons per team at an even split. Custom Playbooks sound cool but I think are a big "no-no" for ODs. It's another thing for the commish to police and I'm spread as thin as it is at the moment. There are already enough unrealistic playbooks in the game, so giving users the ability to "make their philosophy" come to life just wreaks of cheese, controversy, and extra work. Custom conferences will probably be reserved only if there is a situation where all users but 1 or 2 are still stuck in the minors and we'd edit the conferences to give these teams a desirable amount of user games. This would be EXTREMELY RARE though.

STEP FOUR: RESTRICTIONS FOR UPGRADING JOBS
    If we get offered our dream job in year one, will we allow coaches to leave for it? It's an interesting topic and I can see arguments for both. Openings for the job we selected as our "major/aspiration" pick may be rare so I'm thinking we'll allow coaches to jump at any time. This is a race to rise to the top, and I can see arguments on putting a 2-year cap for required stay at an orginal job or something like that for fairness. I'd argue it waters down our "advantage" in drafting if we give the users who struggled in '11 a rule saying they can't hop up. I'm pretty sure we'll be allowing leave anytime you please, but open to other's take on the situation.

STEP FIVE: MEMBER COUNT, POSSIBLE HOLES, & REQUESTED CHANGES FOR '12
    Initially I wanted to fill up to 12, but I'm thinking to make it easier for users to get to the "major leagues" perhaps rolling with 10 members would work well giving every coach 3 possible "major/aspiration" job possibilities. If 10/12 teams are drafted out of our Major League selection, that'd obviously leave 2 other teams left. Your pick + 2 leftovers = 3 possibilites. It'll be interesting for strategy as well. Say we went with the big 10 and Coach UofCWildcat selected Ohio State as his major league team. What if in year one Purdue, who nobody selected, comes knocking on UofCWildcat's door wanting him to take the head coaching job. Does he take the job and get a head start of everyone in the majors with a lesser talented team, or does he wait (not knowing how long the job at tOSU will be filled) and start later with better talent. Makes it very intriguing. If a team picks one of the "leftovers" then their original pick would become a leftover. STATEGERY = EXCITING.

^---> Coupled with this last step is me asking for the opinions and intellegence of the fellow members of this league. If you've seen any holes in my logic PLEASE, point them out! If there were things you liked, didn't like, ideas you had, or things you'd like to be change for '12 speak now or forever hold your peace. :)

Some things are going to happen because there is no arguing they will benefit the league. Since we can screw around with the bowl bids and rivalries on a yearly basis we can really make things fun. We can adjust the bowl bids on how the league sees fit. Create some Minor v Major bowl bids and perhaps give the minor a BCS automatic berth. I'm unsure if we should give everyone 1 rivalry of each user or what. Perhaps we can have a lottery and first 5 drawn will be able to draft their rivals from the remaining pool of 5. Interesting shit right here!

This has me excited. Discuss NOW. This stuff will be decided by June 14th, one month before the game drops. If I don't get replies on this stuff I'll simply decide myself. I'm fine either way.

Man LV '12 is gonna be BOMBdotFUCKINGcom!

2. -Cougars-

-Cougars- Walk On

So the Minor/Major team..that means like well let's just take MAC/Big 10 for example. That means like I can choose Central Michigan and then Purdue for when the time comes to pick teams?

3. IrishBearcat

That draft style is a possibility, where we have picks 1-10. We'll use the two extremes: Baker (had BY FAR the toughest job) with lowest winning % and noffke (meh he's a cheeser!) who had the highest. Baker with his first pick would pick a major AND a minor team. Say he takes Ohio State and Ohio University. This is "option one" for drafting.

Option two is more intriguing and more fair IMO. In this situation Baker would have to pick a major OR a minor team. There's some strategy here: does Baker want to lock up the best team in the MAC, whoever that may be, or, lock up the team he wants most in the big 10. Things to consider are whether your focused on jumping up to the majors quicker which would mean you'd probably want to pick a better minor team. If you're more concerned about a favorite team or locking down the most talented team, then pick a team like Ohio State. Be careful though, Ohio State may never offer you the job if you're sucking with a terrible minor team and take forever to get up in the ranks.

I'm not sure if we'd go Baker-Noff for Round 1, and then repeat with Baker-Noff for round 2 or do a snake style where Baker-Noff for round 1 and then Noff-Baker for round 2.

Hopefully this answers your question.

4. -Cougars-

-Cougars- Walk On

Yea I understand totally going with my favorite team ;)

5. IrishBearcat

Purdon't blows, and that's if we do the Big 10 buddy. Hold ya' horses!

6. -Cougars-

-Cougars- Walk On

We had a young ass team and too many injuries on our offensive end. Defense ain't gonna be the same with Kerrigan at the end. But if Rob Marve can keep himself healthy and NOT get injured we have a pretty good chance if I do say so myself

7. IrishBearcat

DMan and I went to Notre Dame's opener against the Boilers. Defense played great and it was easy to tell our offensive guys were still figuring out the brand new scheme. I think we dominate next year, in a big way.

8. BakerWildcat7

BakerWildcat7 Walk On

I cV love being an example lol, I love the idea. I don't think we should 2 year cap, I mean just think of the rivalries that will start when guys start "stealing" dream jobs from other users.... it could be epic.....

9. -Cougars-

-Cougars- Walk On

I saw that game they were running the ball pretty well if you ask me lol, our D couldn't contain Allen that game.

10. Oshiomogho

Oshiomogho Donnie Darko

im gonna take this slow. there are a lot of words up there. here i go...

The draft
    I have no real idea what the coaching carousel means and why it affects us. I skipped all that. and i have no idea why we are picking 2 teams. is that like picking a small school to play as with hopes that the school of your dreams offers u a job in a few years? but then again, that doesnt make sense to me. may need to get a little more one on one explaining later on. really dont think i care about coaching carousel

the conference
    Sounds to me like you are leaning towards a small and big conference? I dont really care what we choose. already enjoyed fights in the B12, ACC, P10, MWC, CUSA, Sun belt, and i dont know if i'd enjoy B10 again. It's been a while with the ACC, CUSA, sun belt, and even B12. I think we tried SEC with te B10 but that was our least successful attempt and I was not part of the SEC. CUSA could possibly fit with SEC, ACC, or B12. Sun Belt is the ACC, SEC i think. Mac is clearly B10. dont know if we've done mac. Wac is pac 10. so again... i dont really care as much what we do. ill learn to enjoy my program

11. IrishBearcat

This gives me an idea: Maybe we don't draft a "Major/Aspiration" team at all, we just pic a conference and it's first come first serve. Maybe we can draft the right to have which Major is our "dream job" which, from my understanding, nudges the computer to put in extra effort into giving you a job offer from that school eventually.

What will be epic is if a coach gets fired from the major league conference, and a minor league user replaces him! LOL

12. BakerWildcat7

BakerWildcat7 Walk On

That was my original idea when u purposed this format! I think our rivalries would b 10 times better!

13. Oshiomogho

Oshiomogho Donnie Darko

part 2...

small details
    sure

upgrading jobs
    why are we switching teams? we want to all be in one conference i thought? I'd be totally cool if we are all starting out any school in any conference but dont we want to battle each other for a title?

members
    member count is only important if you have slackers. we roll. always have. its what we are good at. we pound out games super quick. I'd love to have 10-12 teams but i dont want to fill in just to fill in and have cheesers, or slow pokes or whatever hurting our league.

one of these days ill take time to look up stuff on the new game. maybe ill get excited then

14. IrishBearcat

Right now I'm thinking Snake draft, you can pick your "starter team" or your alumni/dreamjob team and have exclusive rights to the SETTING only. That means when you create your coach (say I chose Iowa in the big 10) that I get to put iowa as my dreamjob school. The game, as I mentioned above, puts forth extra effort into trying to give you an offer to that school at some point. BUT, there would be no guaruntees you get that job: if somebody else was offered it, they can go ahead and snag it if they please.

I think this is the best way because it gives top drafters a chance to pick best starter school or get an extra "boost" in terms of chance of getting a contract from another school. I think snaking draft style would be best so the coaches on noff's end don't end up with eastern michigan and indiana as their 2 picks. At least top coaches could get the "extra interest" benefit if they missed out on all good starter schools, or vice versa.

15. IrishBearcat

Coaching Carousel: Contracts and job offers. Our goal would be to get ALL MEMBERS to the Bigger conference, and it shouldn't be too hard. The more people that upgrade the easier it will be for users still remaining in the Smaller conference to upgrade because they will have more computer conference games. The main thing that excites me about it is users being able to upgrade and drop. Imagine some of the storylines. Say I have a bad year after jumping from the MAC as Central Michigan to Wisconsin and I get fired. I drop back down to the Mac again and say you get offered to take over Wisconsin! That'd be hilarious and an interesting twist for sure.

The main thing is it has a dynamic landscape, only we're putting controls on it to TWO conferences so we don't have users scattered around the country in different conferences. I'm thinking the WAC/Pac-12 may be a great idea because there is some talent differential in that league as opposed to the MAC that has pretty evenly shitty teams.

2 conferences was boring because you had group A on one island having nothing to do with group B in a completely different conference. That will no longer be true, as the history will have us all relating to a Smaller conference we orginated in and the big leagues we will all be able to make over time.

16. BakerWildcat7

BakerWildcat7 Walk On

I like wac/pac 12

17. IrishBearcat

You like Boise State! Or are they to the MWC for next year already?

18. BakerWildcat7

BakerWildcat7 Walk On

I actually always wanted to do a dynasty with fresno state or louisiana tech

19. IrishBearcat

Both = sexy ass unis. Fresno can ball too, and La Tech has been on the rise since Dooley brought them up.

The Pac-12/Big-10 are most interesting with the new realignments for me, some new flavor in setup with realism at the same time ftw!

20. BakerWildcat7

BakerWildcat7 Walk On

Those two would def be my minor picks....

21. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

Well i have a proposal.

I like the custom playbook idea and i think we could make one before we even start the whole dynasty and we have to stick by it forever or switch to a generic one if it gets too hellish. We could send it your way and have you approve or disapprove the book.

Also i think WAC (Boise is to the MWC) would be good. ALL those teams are even. We got Nevada, Hawaii, Fresno St, La Tech, Idaho, Utah St, New Mexico St, and finally San Jose St. We have eight members now so that would fit the bill for those teams. Then we could transfer to either the Pac-12 or the Big-12. Which ever one seems more geographically correct.

I also like the only drafting your little school. The job market doesn't reserve jobs for people. If the job is there and you happen to be there at the right place and right time, you can take it. If not then too bad. It adds to rivalries and all that jazz. Say I want Arizona cause of my passionate football love for them, but Baker takes them (Bastard). It would then give me incentive to show Arizona why they should of picked me. Quite a fun example if i do say so myself.

I don't like a restriction on the jump either. Seems to be lame. Mike Haywood was at Miami one year (maybe two) and left for Pitt instantly. So that shows that you can get out asap.

22. IrishBearcat

Agree with all but custom playbooks, and here's why: You have the ability to not only pick formations, but select each of your 377 plays or whatever it is that fit into your book. There are "money" plays every year. We don't need to give people the opportunity to create a money playbook, or even a playbook with above average money plays. Even if it was only swapping out formations, you can swap out formations with other formations to maximize "money plays" for your book.

We are a sim group, but every year there are money plays/plays that are overly effective and they are hard to police. Slants this year for example, but we can't tell a player he can't run slants. Might as well tell them they can't pass the football.

Part of the fun is sifting through the playbooks and finding the best one. Making one from scratch is stupid. 99.9% of coaches are using "playbooks" of schemes they learned, just implementing little wrinkles and running different plays.

Custom playbooks would work if we had a group that 120% didn't give a shit if they won or lost. That's not the case, this is a competitive group. There are 120 playbooks out there, pick one.

23. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

I do see your point for sure. I just wanted a custom playbook because i know this year, Nevada's pistol was very limiting and i know Indiana has pistol but not enough. It was just on of those things.

So you agree with everything else though? Aka we probably following suit there?

24. BakerWildcat7

BakerWildcat7 Walk On

I like the idea of using custom playbooks, I feel it gives each coach even more of and identity..... I've always had the idea of combining a air raid and triple option offense.....

25. IrishBearcat

Several users had problems with "schemes" people ran in this OD for '11 and that was with base playbooks. As I mentioned above, there was little to nothing one can do about it because you either implement a very unrealistic/restricting rule or you do nothing about it and people whine.

Custom playbooks would magnify this x1000, and that's a can of worms I'm not going to have time to police and deal with. Too much gray area and everyone's views on what is a "sim" custom playbook/scheme will vary.

With coaching jobs on the line, I'm going to be a lot more stricter with sim play. Sometimes people would cross the line or were very borderline with our rules and they got a warning. In '12 people running up the score, breaking rules, etc. can result in the loss of a job. This is a topic I will go more into once we get the game in our hands and I'm able to identify the flaws in '12 and the rules necessary to be implemented.

For coaching carousel to work, we need an EVEN and FAIR playing field as possible.