LV Midseason power rankings, conference outlook

Discussion in 'Legendary Veterans' started by publik drunk, Jul 26, 2013.

1. publik drunk

publik drunk King of the East

After spending quite sometime breaking down the user teams, and games remaining I'm very excited to present the Legendary Veterans Midseason power rankings and conference championship game outlook. There are a lot of very close teams and I broke down everything from key wins to red zone percentage. Feel free to let me know what you guy think.

12. Georgia Tech Yellowjackets (4-4)- Record vs top 25 0-4. Key wins- 31-28 over UNC. Key loss 39-32 versus Nebraska after what looked to be a game winning hailmay. Georgia Tech converting to a pro style offense has seen the toughest schedule of anyone by far. Having already played 3 teams in the top 10, they still have 2 teams left to face in the top 11, and need 2 wins to become bowl eligible. Great 3rd down and red zone numbers, the killer for the jackets has been turnovers. My prediction is they will split the last two and make a bowl game and build some momentum for next season.

11. Florida State Seminoles (3-4) - Record vs. top 25 1-2. Key wins- 28-14 Arkansas, 34-6 over #21 Maryland. Key loss 42-38 against BC on a Doug Floutie hailmary. FSU has been competitive in every game this year, with tough losses to PITT in OT and Hailmary #2 for BC. FSU also has a very forgiving schedule after Miami. FSU main problem seems to be forcing turnovers as they have only forced 6 on the year. My prediction is a 7-5 finish and a solid bowl game.

10. Arkansas (4-4)- Record vs. top 25 2-2. Key win 28-21 over Georgia. Key loss 51-38 against ULL. Arkansas like GA Tech has had a very unforgiving schedule this season and their last 4 games dont get any easier. A porous defense and -11 turnover margin have kept the Hogs from capitalizing on the season opening win against Georgia and they have never been able to gain momentum. They can still win the SEC West but need LSU or Bama to lose to avoid a 3 way tie in which they will lose the tiebreaker. If Arkansas can find a way to get some stops and stop turning the ball over a 7-5 finish isn't out of the question, but I predict a 6-6 finish and an early bowl game for the Hogs.

9. Miss St (5-2)- Record vs top 25 2-1. Key win 49-48 at Kentucky. Key loss 42-32 vs MIZZOU. Miss St. has only played one team currently ranked in the top 25 a 55-17 loss to LSU. Miss St has played good team ball to this point with no single player standing out on either side of the ball. They are ranked 11th in total offense and 20th in defense. The reason they aren't ranked higher at this point, is I believe they caught Kentucky after huge wins against Bama and South Carolina in a trap game. With a rough last 4 games Im predicting a 7-5 record for the Bulldogs.

8. Kentucky (4-3)- Record vs top 25 3-2. Key win 51-48 at Alabama. Key loss 41-9 against OU. Talk about a brutal schedule, Kentucky has won every game they were supposed to win except the nail biter last week against Miss St. With upsets against South Carolina and Bama, they have sent a message you better be ready to play when you go against the Wildcats. Their defense has been the problem ranking 125th nationally but they have been turning people over with a plus 5 turnover differential. Only two teams with a winning record on the schedule for the wildcats but both are conference foes, so Im predicting them to fall out of first place in the SEC East and finish the season wih a 7-5 record.

7. Georgia Bulldogs (5-2)- Record vs top 25 0-1. Key win 38-31(OT) Ole Miss. Key loss 28-21 versus Arkansas, Georgia is one of the hottest teams in the country right now winning their last 5 games. They have maybe the easiest schedule left and alot of momentum. The turnover bug has bit the Bulldogs hard as they are -6 on the season, but they have managed to go on a tear despite Murray and Gurley having subpar seasons. Their Defense does rank 112 nationally, but Garrison Smith (10 sacks 18tfl) and Shaq Wiggins ( 4int FF TD) have been stand out stars on defense. Look for Georgia to go 9-3 or 8-4 but lose the tiebreaker to South Carolina in the SEC EAST. If Kentucky can hold on to force a tiebreaker, then Georgia will win the tiebreaker and represent the east.

6. Lousiville Cardinals (5-2)- Record vs top 25 1-2. Key win 38-14 over Kentucky. Key Loss 41-38 against VT. One of the most electric offenses in college football, but their 105 ranked defense that is giving up 34.14 points per game is what has kept them out of the top 5. The Cardinals key on turnovers going 5-0 when winning the turnover battle. They are 1-2 in games decided by 7 points or less, with their two losses coming by 5 points to the teams ranked currently #1 and #6. With only one game left against a team with a winning record, I expect Louisville to finish second in their division and finish 9-3.

5. South Carolina (6-2) Record vs top 25 3-0. Key win 45-21 over Georgia. Key Loss 48-38 to Tennessee. South Carolina started the season looking like a sure fire national title contender only to stumble against unranked Kentucky and Tennessee. Clowney after a slow start to the season has came on strong compiling 13 sacks . The reason we are giving South Carolina the slight edge over Lousiville is the slightly better defense and they take a little better care of the football. South Carolina should finish 10-2 or 9-3 and win the SEC East via the tiebreaker over Georgia.

4. Ole Miss Rebels- Record vs the top 25 4-1. Key wins 49-28 at Alabama. Key loss 38-31 (OT) vs Georgia. Ole Miss bringing in the air raid offense have actually been very balanced, with Jeff Scott avergaging over 100 yards a game. Their offense is staying on the field completing a NCAA high 63% of their 3rd downs and Bo Wallace has completed 73% of his passes. Nkemdiche is as good as advertised, already bringing in 10 sacks and 22tfl. The Rebels have a tough last 4 games and a 9-3 finish is very likely. The good thing is they will own every tiebreaker in the west, unless a loss to Arkansas or Miss St and no 3 way tie scenario.

3. Clemson Tigers(7-1)- Record vs the top 25 1-0. Key win 24-19 at Michigan. Key loss 45-33 to Miami. While Clemson currently has no wins over the top 25, the reason they are ranked ahead of Ole Miss is their defense and plus 6 turnover differential. Clemson has done very well taking care of the football with only 9 turnovers on the year. The statement game for this defense is when they held Boston College to 132 total yards. They have two teams left on their schedule ranked in the top 25, but I predict the Tigers will represent the Atlantic in the conference championship with a 10-2 record.

2. Miami Hurricane (7-0)- Record vs top 25 1-0. Key win 45-33 at Clemson. Miami has the most explosive offense in college football. Stephen Morris looks like a completely different quarterback this year completing 70% of his passes, and Duke Johnson has been deadly on the ground with 1080 yards rushing already. They haven't played the toughest schedule, but have not had any games decided by less than 10 points. They will face off against our number one team in a couple weeks, in the game of the year, in a classic offense versus defense matchup. Our prediction is Miami will finish the season 11-1 second in the coastal, and will be playing in a BCS bowl.

1. Virginia Tech (8-0) - Record vs the top 25 2-0. Key win 41-38 over Louisville. When looking up the stats on Virginia Tech all you can say is wow. They are allowing a NCAA best 11.1 ppg, and are bringing their lunch pale with them every Saturday. The game against Louisville is the only time anyone was within 18 points of the Hokies all year. Their turnover differential is a plus 11 and week in and week out they are dominating their counterparts. I predict the Hokies to finish the season unbeaten and play in the ACC championship, with a chance to go to the National Championship game

• Like Like x 3
  2. publik drunk

3. WompWomp

WompWomp Walk On

Nice breakdown. Wish I could've been here earlier in the season! But I'll take a winning record w/ a bowl game!

• Like Like x 1
  4. publik drunk

Yeah buddy, I'm glad the egg bowl is going to be a user game now, its going to make it way more fun

5. LeGeNd RiPs

LeGeNd RiPs Is it football season yet?

Good shit buddy, but louisville will be finishing 10-2 with a conference championship. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. HuskerPower

HuskerPower Walk On

I'll take a 10-2 record and a conference championship game!(y)

7. HuskerPower

HuskerPower Walk On

Looks like the ACC is dominating the SEC!

• Like Like x 1
  8. publik drunk

Top 3 teams. The two ACC teams with a comparable schedule to the SEC schools though are GT and Louisville. The thing that really wowed me about your team was only 9 turnovers ( 3 against Mia) and the 132 yards allowed versus BC. Sammy Watkins is seeing his stock tumble in the draft

9. LeGeNd RiPs

LeGeNd RiPs Is it football season yet?

10. The Parrothead

The Parrothead Walk On

I spoke to him. Holding it up for him as he said he'd be playing this evening

11. Quattro

Quattro Moonwalking in a field of landmines

Other than the Dan Hawkins lunch pail comment, good work :D

12. publik drunk

images-2.jpeg
    Lol this isn't intermurials brother... No I wasn't trying to slide a Dan Hawkins line in with the lunch pails. Its actually something VT started in 95 as a tribute to their blue collar defense

• Like Like x 1