M16 Playbook Evalution Spreadsheet

Discussion in '1st and 10' started by independent739, Aug 29, 2015.

1. independent739

independent739 Walk On

Oct 29, 2014
    Hey all! As promised in chat, I've made a spreadsheet detailing each playbook in Madden 16. Here's what's contained in the Excel sheet:
    • Number of Formations
    • Number of Plays Per Formation
    • Number of Running Plays (by Concept)
    • Number of Passing Plays (by Type) + Number of Option Plays
    This is a bunch of raw data that can be utilized in whatever way you see fit. Personally, I use it to pick out a playbook that fits my play-style. So if you enjoy, for instance, playing under center and not out of shotgun, you can see which teams lean that way. Or, if you feel more like Chip Kelly, there are a few teams with almost exclusive use of shotgun formations. Here are a few ideas of how I use each page on this worksheet:
    • Number of Formations - if I want a PB with a lot of variety in formations, this is where I look
    • Number of Plays Per Formation - If I want a lot of plays from the single-back formation, for instance, I'll use this to find what fits that
    • Number of Running Plays - If I enjoy using power runs, I can use this to see which PB leans that way (versus a zone run scheme)
    • Number of Passing Plays - I would use this primarily to see which PBs rely more on quick passes, medium passes, or long passes.
    A few notes:
    • It looks like the generic playbooks are still pieces of trash (The Run N Gun may be the exception to this) I'm confused about why M16 ditched the legendary coach books but not these.
    • When going through the running plays, each book's concepts were in a different order. This was either sloppy design, or it means something about how each offense runs. I'm not sure.
    • Three teams got what I call the "Chip Kelly Treatment": Miami, Oakland, and Philadelphia.
    • The most common passes of each type: Slants (Quick), Smash (Medium), and Shot Plays (Deep)
    I'd love feedback on this if you have anything to offer. Let me know if you have any questions, as well I hope this is helpful to someone other than myself, but if not, at least I learned a lot about the game doing this! Enjoy!

Attached Files:

• Awesome Content Awesome Content x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. dablakpope

dablakpope Walk On

Jul 23, 2010
    • Like Like x 1
  3. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

Sep 23, 2009
    • Like Like x 1
  4. MarkyMark67