Madden 12 Team Redraft Lottery Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by saintsdave75, Jun 26, 2011.

1. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

Starting a thread here for discussion about this subject. I've been kind of discussing it with the board guys here and mentioning it to other guys in the blast. The responses have been mixed from absolutely loving it, to not caring what team they get, to not wanting to give up their team, or hell no.

The initial concept that I came up with was while updating the league history stuff and division winners, playoff wins, etc. I just kept seeing the same 3-4 guys with the same 3-4 teams in each conference going every year. Very little parity. So I figured maybe let's shake things up a bit with a total team redraft for Madden 12.

Of course, one of the main aspects of our league and team selection process is getting owners to be able to play as their favorite teams. So, the total team redraft aspect really wouldn't be something that would accomplish that without some exceptions.

Of the current 32 omfl owners, only 7 of them are the lone fans of their teams and have them already:

mustang-dolphins
    ox-titans
    claven-redskins
    scared-cowboys (even though a few people are secondary cowboy fans)
    miklos-packers
    dblnull-lions
    sanano-49ers

In my initial concept of the redraft, these 7 guys would be either exempt from the draft or it would be understood (forced) that they would be the only ones allowed to draft those teams.

Additionally, there are 7 other guys who are the lone fans of their teams and honestly, a redraft may be the only way that they could get to them:

stealth-bengals
    chrisdstan-steelers
    luis-chargers
    dunn-eagles
    backlash-bears
    bruce-rams
    dunlap-seahawks

I'm pretty sure that stealth and dunlap getting there teams would be possible, but I'm not too sure about the others.

These 7 guys would also be either exempt from the draft or it would be understood (forced) that they would be the only ones allowed to draft those teams.

2. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

If we went that way, than those 14 guys will all get their favorite teams, leaving 18 teams left.

There are 4 teams that have more than 1 fans to them:

patriots- ko,greeeg
    ravens- weblink,sammy
    raiders- savaunte,shiftee,juan
    saints- nate,jeremy,bluebean,vishal,saintsdave,jethro,winuvas

The main problem here would be the 4 guys here who already have their team be willing to give that team up. We could just go with that these 4 guys have the option of whether or not to participate in the team draft since they do already have their teams.

3. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

This leaves 14 teams unclaimed at this point.

bills
    jets
    browns
    texans
    jaguars
    colts
    chiefs
    broncos
    giants
    vikings
    falcons
    panthers
    buccs
    cardinals

There are also 4 guys I'm not sure of who their favorite team is or if they even have one:

duval
    future
    bates
    src

4. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

Back to the lottery process I came up with:

A formula would be used to come up with a ranking 1-32 (or 1- whatever number), where whoever is ranked #1 would get 1 entry into the lottery, while whoever was ranked 32 would get 32 entries into the lottery. Then we would have a selection process, using random.org where each owner would be assigned numbers based on the amount of entries they would get based on their ranking. (32 participants would be 528 entries). Whichever number 1-528 is drawn on random.org would be the person who would pick 1st, etc.

This way, we could have a selection process event, and then later, an actual team draft event, since we wont be having a rookie draft to start Madden 12, we could at least have this.

5. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

The formula would be based off of 3 sets of rankings 1-32 in 3 different categories, each would be weighted differently based on what could be decided as importance: Tenure, Previous Season's records, Playoff Success.

Tenure would be ranked 1-32, with 1 being the newest and 32 being the first guy (Nate). The idea behind this category is that people who have been here longer should get a higher ranking and better chance to get a higher pick.

Playoff Success would be ranked 1-32 with 1 being the person with the most playoff success and 32 being the person with the least. The idea behind this category is that people who have not made the playoffs ever or as much as others should get a higher ranking and better chance to get a higher pick.

Previous Season's records, unfortunately, can really only be based on seasons 4-7, as that is all we can track on xfn and in the league history forum. As a special consideration, the records of season 7 could probably be weighted less than the previous 3, as let's face it, this season has really been kind of shaky. The idea behind this category is that people who have had better records as others should get a higher ranking and better chance to get a higher pick.

I havent decided exactly what the weight would be for each category, maybe 40-tenure, 35-records, 25-playoffs???

6. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

I really like the idea Dave. But it would have to be optional, which would allow guys who want to keep their teams to do so.

I think it would bring about alot of talk and conversation which would be great for the league especially during the gap between 11 & 12.

I would suggest figuring out a way to broadcast the lottery live. This would eliminate the chance anybody saying it was rigged if they get a bad team and it would also add to the drama of the event.

I would suggest - 75% record & 25% tenure and not even count playoffs.

7. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I would say tenure would be highly weighted in this formula.

65% tenure
    25% regular season record
    10% playoffs

I like the idea and would be open to doing a draft. I'm also thinking of doing the same in WFL, but without the actual math stuff in it. I don't like math. Bleh. :)

8. Coach KO

Coach KO Walk On

Does this mean I can keep my favorite team of the Pats? Obviously I would like to keep them since Im a huge Patriots fan.

But if that is not the case, Id be willing to do a draft. As for the formula to use, I like whole numbers.
    70% Tenure
    30% Regular season

With that formula, Im pretty sure Im getting the Bills

9. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

The only problem I see with making it optional, is that we might only wind up with 5 people that would want to do it: owners of bills, browns, broncos, panthers, etc

How about this idea: anyone who already has their favorite team (11 teams) does not have to give up their team for the redraft unless they want to. This way it still leaves a redraft of 21 owners.

Or another idea, and this may be crazy, but just throwing ideas out, we could have the 7 guys who dont have their team, just give them their team and have everyone else be put in the redraft, leaving a redraft of 14 teams.

10. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

Dave have you gotten a vibe from the crowd outside of board room on wether they like this or not. Especially the guys that do not have their favorite team.
    I wouldnt want to cause alot of turmoil.
    But if the majority are ok with it, I like the idea.

Let the guys who have their favorite teams now, stay with them and throw everything else into the lottery.

11. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

Actually, yes, it does seem like everyone outside the board who has heard has been down with it. Only, shiftee had about a thousand questions about it, wondering exactly every little detail about how the selection process would work, but even he didnt even seem against it.

12. DJDunn6

DJDunn6 Walk On

Shiftee makes me want to change my screen name...