Madden 15 Impressions

Discussion in 'Madden NFL Football' started by Black Republican, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Black Republican

Black Republican TMFL Commish -- **ISYMFS** --

I haven't seen many people post their impressions yet. I'm curious to everyone's take on the game as I have yet had a chance to play it.
    I heard the 'help' assist are a bit overwhelming "ball hawk" etc... I've read the Oline play is horrible? The game not as defensive as EA lead off? I've seen several 35+ point games in my feed...

Let's hear it all fellas

2. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

I've only played two games so far one in CFM and another against Charter04. We played in all madden and the running was a bit harder, i was using Royster on the skins though so not sure how a faster and better back will do. Zone plays better, but comparing to m25 zone it probably isnt that hard to be better. I think the zone plays just as well as it did in m13. Hopefully next year, they dont nerf the defensive again and actually have smarter swarming defense and gang tackling.

Shading cbs didn't work as well, i was using the skins so that may play a role, but dallas receivers had ton of separation on slants, terrence williams to be specific (i think that is his name).

Game is much slower than last years next gen game. Last year there was so much animation speed up, this game the speed is more consistent and not too fast.

I hate the new playcalling screen, im sure they could of implemented what they needed to implement in the playcalling screen and not reverse scroll everything. Can't get to my plays quick enough like i use to, perhaps over time i will. Its like when they did the strat pad. I wonder if there is an option for traditional screen? On the playcall screen however, you get to see what your opponent ran previously. So no more baseless accusations that your opponent was running man cover 2 80% of the time.

The OL blocked ok on passing, but were shed pretty easily by the defender to stop the run. The defense was essentially one on one tackling with huge holes, the other defenders dont seem to swarm or react as well. The one defender got off the OT rather easily though to make the play. Tackling animation was a bit messy looking. With controls for a rb a bit more sluggish (at least for royster), couldn't hit the holes as fast, but the holes were pretty big. Ill see if there is a difference when i use mcfadden.

I was using RGIII, in the past, i probably could of ran for 20 yards on some broken plays, but it was difficult to get away from the defenders. So scrambling is harder unless your opponent is dropping 10 or 11.

There were innaccurate throws, mostly due to leading. In the past those throws would of been caught because of the warping or superman dive animation, but they didn't trigger in my two games played, we'll see over time.

This is my scatter brained impression so far. Defense is better, the gameplay is relatively the same with different defensive hot route options, individual options, and new button to tackle. They need to do away with the holding the button for ball hawk, too easy just to switch to a defender and just hold the button. There should be a risk reward and timing the button correctly.

No impression for CFM or anything else outside of playing the game, i dont want to waste my 6 hours on menu hopping.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Changed the title...

• Like Like x 1
  4. antcap24

antcap24 Walk On

I feel they leveled the playing field by limiting the edge of good stick skills.
    Very tough to get YAC as it seems players don't turn up field well.
    You are not going to throw people open anymore and need to hit WR at first opportunity of being open bc the window is short.
    Catch in traffic has been approve and WR hang on more often in tight spaces. Thank God because tight spaces seem to more often than not.
    Running game is toned down but seems more realistic now.
    Usering players on D is unforgiving if you take false steps. Staying in your assignment is key now more than ever. The days of covering the middle of the field and deep middle with super agility seem to be over

5. Black Republican

This is kind of what I was worried about. EA 'dumbing' down the game / taking user skill away, and making the game easier for the Avg I-play-once-a-week-mut-games. My games finally downloaded so I'll add my piece shortly.

• Like Like x 1
  6. antcap24

antcap24 Walk On

The game is more realistic in a way that it will take sustained drive s to move the ball. It just feels restrictive to me on first impression. It's too early to tell if that's a better thing or not in the long run. I think that the gun slinger types will need to make adjustments to be better game managers

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

Definitely harder to move on offense, but it should be that way. It is a new game, so once people start getting use to the game and the mechanics, then things can change.

8. MoonBBad

MoonBBad http://twitch.tv/moonbbad

Do you feel the game is "broken"?

9. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

broken as in everything is OP like Pistol or shotgun formation runs?
    or broken as the game is unrealistic?

I've only played two games so i wont know for sure. Ill play the rest of my hours this weekend and get back.

From my two games, i've seen no big plays as of yet in terms of passing or running besides a kick off return which was done right up the gut. I haven't seen any evidence that a player can zig zag around the field like the older maddens or evidence that somebody can sprint with their qb and throw a deep accurate pass. Screens were a little more difficult to pull off because the lineman is in your face so fast, pistol runs and shotgun runs so far have been tough. Those are what i've noticed so far, probably be more clear as we play over the coming weeks.

What i am concerned about is the "improved defense" Great defense should be based on the ratings of the players on your team. Should be based on the plays that you choose in certain situations. Defense shouldn't be improved just to be improved in general, it should all be ratings based, that is what ratings are for right? So i am curious if i pick a bad defensive team like my raiders for instance, would they perform as well as lets say a 49er team or seahawk team with less rated players? Now that is assuming everything is equal which it isnt, too many variables to even know. Last year, the defense sucked whether you used a bad team or good team, didnt matter. I wonder if it is the same the other way around, the defense is tough whether a bad or good team.

Same goes with accuracy issue, last year everything was accurate with sliders above 6. Anything lower the throws would be randomly way off and it didnt matter who the qb was. So now with inaccurate throws, are they random or are they based on accuracy ratings? I dont know.

• Like Like x 1
  10. MoonBBad

MoonBBad http://twitch.tv/moonbbad

I was more asking the question for Roggie who has isn't sure he's getting the game due to hearing it's broken and people don't know how to call plays.

Tongue in cheek. ;)

11. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

Ill say this, the play call screen sucks and somewhat laggy.

• Like Like x 3
  12. antcap24

antcap24 Walk On

Based on my 3 games...(all ranked online games)

Accuracy is going to based on Pass selection. My first two games I struggled as I was in M25 mode and trying to make throws I was accustomed to. I threw 2 pics each game on throws I would have completed in last year's version. My 3rd game I lit it up as I played smarter and took what the defense gave me. It will be an adjustment for many as we have been accustomed to having certain things work a certain way, and now it's back to drawing board.

P.S. I thought it was odd they kept your M25 ranking to start M15 with in regards to online ranked games. First time that has happened

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  13. Black Republican

This was my first take away, not a fan of the play calling screen. But it's new maybe it'll grow on me.

14. Black Republican

Ok I can finally give my take on the game after my first 4 hours of play. I also watched another 2-3 hours worth to get different takes.

Visuals / Presentation: The offline / vs CPU presentation is nice; it's everything that you've seen in previous videos. Online games cut directly to the action, the coin toss was eliminated and you choose heads/tails in your selection screen prior to the game loading.
    The field looks better, same wear and tear, same visuals in the snow and rain. But as a whole the field looks better. No snow, mud etc are on your players directly after a play. It kind of loads 'dirt' as the game is played. As well as scratches to the helmet etc.
    The sidelines doesn't look much improved aside from the coaches. Players often have no names on their jerseys. Players don't interact with the field unless its a programmed cut scene. The coaches look way better though. Signature elements are there like Andy Reid fat ass military style web belt and Harbaugh's red sharpie etc...
    The crowd doesn't look like some old PS2 polygon graphics; so they've addressed this. The crowd still doesn't respond as they should to hype environments. I seen no difference in watching Seattle's 12th Man or playing at home in the Linc (Eagles). Still too many twins/clones, should have some authentic crowd signs. Raiders fans in the black hole should be decked out in pads with spikes. Should have a fair amount of fat shirtless wearing pigs in the Packers crowd etc ...
    Other quick take-away's; as a whole the game looks "better"! Player models are more life like, everything is more polished from helmets to non sharp edges on pads. The stadium's TV's / jumbo-trons are pretty sweet and are constantly "live".
    Menu backdrops look pretty sweet and are more of a TV style broadcast. In game menu's "playcall screen" are "slow" and kind of cumbersome to navigate through. The inverted look will take some time to get used to. I've selected the wrong play several times on accident due to the layout. They are new so i'm sure in time it will just be the norm and they'll be fine. But as with change to long time Madden players you know change is rarely welcomed.

Game Play
    Passing: I've played and watched mostly All Pro game play; I did however watch one All-Madden game vs the CPU. In the AM game, the CPU went ham with Big Ben. He through for a low 90's completion percentage. "Robo QB" Aside from that user v. user the game seems to have nice balance. I haven't seen anyone with a high percentage rate.... YET, this is mainly due to everyone just figuring out the game though. Curl routes, slants have been neutralized to a degree; you'll have to call them in moderation to be effective.
    I was forced to play a cheesedick kid using the Redskins who kept running no huddle O; I happened to be in a cover 2 D. My corner was no set up to stop a curl route yet on the 3rd attempt of him running it to the back side, my corner jumped the route and picked it. I also felt like the CPU responded to screens much better after the player ran them 3+ times. If this is the adaptative AI, im not sure but it was a good thing to see.

It still seems its effective to create more distance between you and pass rushers. I've seen kids drop 15+ steps back and have success. I was hoping they'd push to keep the pocket a point of emphasis and penalize the people who want to drop back 50 yards to throw. If not in the right defense the TE flag/post out routes are still way too effective.

Rushing: I've only witnessed one game with a super successful running game. The kid was using the Vikings (AP) and murdered the Cowboys. Power run seems to be OP still in my opinion with Pistol sets. Counters or and formation with pulling guards seems to spring runners. Bouncing runs seems to be a thing of the past, unless you have a burner. DeSean Jackson in wildcat couldn't get to the edge of my defense with a flat sideline to sideline run. So that's been fixed thank god. It seems you will have to balance your attack this year in order to have success. Catching the defense in nickle or dime against your run game will be a good look.
    Trucking doesn't seem as effective as years past in the open field. And open field tackle breaking all together are down. Read option doesn't seem to be OP at all, however it can still be a highly effective nuisance if playing a cheese dick.

Recieving: QB's will make some bad throws in this years madden without tweaking the sliders. WR's will also make some highly fake catches in traffic/contested ONE HANDED. That said again for now I think the balance is there with the passing game and defense. My only real observation is the horrible one handed catches that are ... Would be impossible to do IRL or even in Madden 25.

Blocking: Run blocking at the point of attack seems kinda lame. This is a blend from rushing and blocking, if there's no hole to get a runner through your going to become stuck or the defender will morph to you for the tackle. Pass blocking, you'll need 'max protect' or manually keep in blockers to help lineman with a good pass rush or blitzing. This is a good thing again to me! FB/TE's will still miss the first block coming across his face and go on to the next level, of course this results in you getting crushed by the first guy.

Kicking: This will change depending on the skill level you play on for sure as the speed of meter and 'cone' of accuracy will make kicking a challenge for the first time ever I think. The days of getting that kicker with 99 KPW an 30 KAC is over. As your kicking cone will be a slight sliver causing you to shank kicks.

Defense:
    I turned off the auto assists and have had a much better result in usering on defense. EA/Madden has added a bunch of features which could have my 4 year old compete on defense. Ball Hawk, auto strafe, heat seeker etc ... I'm horrible at manually usering the D Line to create a pass rush; but in drills the jump-at-the-snap feature does work well. Man coverage doesn't seem as powerful as years past when playing a team with crazy man coverage/man press guys. WR's will create separation against man coverage, and an opponent running crossing routes / rub routes will have your ass running excessive man D. I played the Seahawks once and Sherman did lock down my guy all game, except on crossing routes.
    The computer does a good job of keeping their assignments and doing what their told, against the run. Linebackers stay in lane and fill holes, defensive ends often control the outside and not let runs bounce. What I don't like still however is the retarded play by defenders when a QB is running 'near' the line of scrimmage. They still don't commit to get the runner when it's obvious they're going to run; but the cpu doesn't pursuit or engage until they pass this invisible line.
    Protect the sticks works well against the passing game, I haven't had much success with the shade options. On known slants I choose shade inside yet its almost they still get a free release for their route. The tackling cone takes some getting used to, and I really don't like being able to see my opponents tackle cone when im on offense.
    Hit stick can now be accomplished with the traditional flick of the stick or by pressing the X button on Xbox One. A button will accomplish a safe tackle, often just a wrap up of the legs. When tackles are broken you can see defenders not hit/wrap and the runner will 'bounce' off the run.
    Zone's are more effective this year and guys seem to stay in their assigned zone; giving you the power stop most people abuse of a specific route.
    Blitzing seems to be fruitful if your opponent doesn't keep guys home to block. No more sending 7 and 5 guys blocking everyone.

Again this is a quick take on the game after watching and playing. Overall this game is better than M25 for sure; so that's a plus. Looking forward to the leagues kicking off!

• Like Like x 10
  15. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

I spent about 2.5 hours yesterday playing i think three or four games against CPU in CFM all madden default slider.

Wanted to comment on the blocking and run game. I believe i see why running may be difficult this year, from what i noticed in my games, it actually doesnt take much to take a running back down. If a defender is engaged, as i said in my earlier post, there will be one defender that essentially is able to shed a block and even by accidently touching a defender will result in an odd tackle. Even if you are running next to an OL, slightly touching an OL will trigger a stumbling animation instead of maybe putting a hand on the OL or sliding off resulting in stumbling or you are stuck behind the lineman. Something they need to improve, I recall they had slide animation when getting stuck behind a lineman last year, who knows. I was watching somebody's stream yesterday and i saw what i essentially call a hand tackle, a defender was engaged and his hand touched the rb and the rb went down, it was odd. I think it was the maddentips stream ran by gibs.

In terms of the blocking for passing against four man rush, there will be times where the OL will just whiff on a one on one block, like they will essentially just get beat and i think this is a great thing. The OL doesnt win all the time, there will be times where an OL will lose and you see that much more in this game, key is to make the reads quick and get the ball out. I was able to get many sacks against CPU just covering everybody with the QB having limited time to throw. Previous years, qb just sit back there against a 4 man rush and have a picnic then find an open receiver.

• Like Like x 2
  16. wayers50

wayers50 Walk On

I've been impressed so far with the game.The graphics are the first thing I noticed obviously, good upgrade there. I like how the receiver makes an effort to go for the ball if its a bad pass, adds a good effect. I think the dline can be a bit over powering at times with the jump and getting around a defender, I found being a dlineman rather easy. I like the player lock, makes me want to do a player on cfm and play defense. It also seemed like all madden was a little bit easier then in the past.
    Seems like the running game has gotten better, the backs seems to move around the blockers better.

• Like Like x 2
  17. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

Just curious; how difficult / easy was it to call passing plays on the fly audibling hot routes on offense? Hopefully the caidence feature has eliminated that?

18. Black Republican

It's still easy to make hot routes but the speed rate in which you do it has been slowed dramatically. No more firing out a slew of commands, it pauses just long enough but also gives the D time to adjust.

• Like Like x 3
  19. CHUNKNESS

Shaun Mason
    Drifterbub
    BobJr

Are any of you gents able to provide any insight regarding the player progression? Is it true that the CFM will allow the capability for owners to lower XP for some attributes in order to apply additional XP to other attributes (video below)?

20. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

not an issue in my opinion, what the video doesnt show is the person doing the video is not finalizing the increase. So if i go and upgrade a player to +5 tackling, and i change my mind and go, maybe ill do +3 tackling and +2 strength or whatever, i can do that. All this can be done before "submitting" and finalizing, once you submit, you can not decrease back to the original rating it was before you started allocating the xp. Unless i am seeing this wrong, there isn't an issue, this allows each person to upgrad eplayer and change their minds during that same upgrade session. ONce finalized, no going back

• Like Like x 1
  21. CHUNKNESS

My bad. I viewed it incorrectly. I saw it as him reducing other attributes to improve others. You are correct; non-issue. Thx!

• Like Like x 3
  22. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Good stuff man.

• Like Like x 1
  23. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    Great stuff! There is no more playing nickel in run situations. You can't drop those defenders and be successful at stopping the run...

• Like Like x 3
  24. Ace847

Ace847 Walk On

What did you all think about the new defensive first person camera view? I actually really like it and found switching to other players pretty smooth. The only thing I wonder is if using this camera puts you at a disadvantage because you can't quite see as much. Your thoughts???

• Like Like x 1
  25. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I like the camera, I used to use it in NCAA. It's tough if you like to ball hawk though.

• Like Like x 1