Featured Madden 16: Scouting Proposal

Discussion in 'Madden NFL Football' started by Shaun Mason, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Guys,

I've heard from a number of you regarding the existing scouting system, and I'd like to propose the following changes:
    • Remove the ability to scout overall.
    • Remove the ability to scout development.
    • Expose the personality rating (i.e. similar to the production grade) at the combine.
    • Expose the injury rating.
    • Increase the cost to scout PHYSICAL attributes prior to the combine.
    • When the combine occurs in the yearly cycle, players invited to the combine should have ALL physical attributes number grade exposed:
      • SPD (40-yard dash)
      • AGI (3 cone drill, shuttle)
      • ACC (40-yard dash, 3 cone drill, shuttle)
      • STR (Bench press)
      • JMP (Vertical and broad jump)
      • Height and weight (I also think these should be somewhat variable for the non-invited players)
    • Introduce a penalty for hoarding scouting points until the last scouting window. My rational for this is that scouting is a time based activity, and if you decide to not scout during the season you would have reduced time. I'd prefer not to completely penalize people who miss a scouting week during the season by removing ALL of the ability to scout, but I think a penalty of 50% of the week's points is a fair balance.
    My reasoning for the proposed changes:
    • Remove the ability to scout overall.
    The overall is an meaningless composite rating. In real life, there is no way for a scout to invest enough time into a prospect to know EXACTLY how good they are.​
    • Remove the ability to scout development.
    I equate development into "the ability to grow in the future", and there is no way in real life for a scout to project with any certainty how a player man potentially improve, in either talent or skill.​
    • Expose the personality rating (i.e. similar to the production grade).
    Teams get a chance to interview during the combine. Ideally, you'd be able to select the list you want to interview, but I'm fine with seeing everyone's personality rating at this point. I'd think of it as a composite of their popularity in college and their interview.​
    • Expose the injury rating.
    Scouts know player's injury history.​
    • Increase the cost to scout PHYSICAL attributes.
    If you want to scout these attributes prior to the combine (or for players NOT invited to the combine) it should cost more (e.g. from 25 to 35 per attribute). This is to reflect the time investment of the scout, and makes uncovering UFA gems more difficult.​
    • When the combine occurs in the yearly cycle, players invited to the combine should have ALL physical attributes exposed
    I think this is pretty self explanatory. The combine is a human meat market. Players that attend should have measurables, players who do not attend should have to have those attributes scouted. Also, you could have some interesting story lines here, with injured players not participating, select elite talents refusing to participate in some drills, like real life.​
    • Introduce a 50% penalty for hoarding scouting points until the last scouting window.
    A lot of people horde their scouting points until right before the draft currently. Why? Because it's advantageous to wait until all the draft story lines are exposed. If the above changes take place, this will be even more advantageous, because you can avoid scouting entirely until physical attributes are exposed. A penalty requires you to either 1) be involved during the season, and pay attention weekly to the draft stories or 2) horde points in an effort to only focus on elite physical specimens and be able to scout fewer players.​

These changes will enable players to enter the draft with more information if they actively scout. It will force scouts to spend time on intangible qualities early in the year. Right now, many people simply scout a single attribute for each player (typically an important physical skill) and make a determination about continuing to scout them immediately. This system will allow scouting to become more about finding players appropriate to a teams scheme.

What do you guys think? Would you change anything else? Do you dislike any of my proposed changes? I intend to submit this to the CFM team as my feedback for scouting in Madden 16.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    #2 on my list.

We need to see physical attributes. Every NFL team has this at their disposal.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    Could build some more immersion by allowing certain "pro days" for the storyline players

These pro days could happen during the free agent portions of the offseason.

On those pro days you could also get a few key intangible ratings unlocked. Good or bad

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

Love the proposed changes.

Just make sure that 90 personality, greedy MF doesn't want to stay in Jacksonville after his rookie contract expires and I'll love you forever :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Featured Threads:
    I've always sorta felt like you shouldnt be able to scout down below the letter grades. Being able to see actual attributes prior to drafting a player has always felt too informative to me in terms of the quality of player. I feel like if you limit people to just a letter grade, it keeps the risk factor of drafting a player more intact, especially on the position specific intangibles (BLK SHD, PRC, etc).

6. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

you're missing the largest needed change and that is more granularity for each grade.

A is too vague when it ranges from 88-99.

The NCAA 14 model needs adopted. A+, A, A- and all the way down

grades need to be slightly variable.... maybe he was rated A+ to start the year but after combine it's really B+. Using more scouting points would further improve the accuracy of whatever the grade is..... again just like NCAA14 model

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    I like the lack of granularity.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Keller

In some sense its fine. but at positions where speed is at a premium, for example, it's idiotic

if physical grades are revealed, it's largely moot, but if i draft another CB with A speed and he ends up with 88 spd I'm going to be pissed

• Like Like x 1
  9. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    I mean number grades revealed.

10. Keller

so A+, A, A- then will suffice..... especially if those grades can vary slightly like they did in NCAA

11. JSimms

JSimms TLY Season 1 Champs!

Shaun Mason

Remove the ability to scout development.
    I equate development into "the ability to grow in the future", and there is no way in real life for a scout to project with any certainty how a player man potentially improve, in either talent or skill.

I've never scouted development in Madden (very expensive). That said, a scout may argue that if they've followed a player's improvement from freshman year to senior year (or some other time period), they could project with some certainty how a player may continue to improve when they get to the NFL. I'm sure there is some correlation to improvement in talent/skill in high school or college to ability to do the same in the NFL. Just a thought...

12. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    It's a scouts job to convince his boss that he has that ability, but as inexact as the science of drafting is, I don't think that's realistic, in any sport.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. JSimms

I hear ya. Could always tie it back to the level of your scout (or scout team). Level 20+ can scout development & overall; Level 19 and below cannot (or something like that). Probably too complex for M16, but maybe something that could be incorporated in future versions.

14. JSimms

And just because you draft a Quick or SS progression player, doesn't mean they'll be a star in the league. They still have to perform, spend time on them in game prep, be progressed properly, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  15. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    If there was an ability to have good and bad information from scouts then I would be on board with development being stripped

16. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    You do get bad information.. when you scout their attributes.

• Like Like x 1
  17. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    What I am talking about is where one team views a players Intangibles differently than another team.

Similar to what the show does

18. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    There is a difference between intangibles and development imo.

19. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

I agree with this, the max anybody can scout a player should be to the letter and not the exact rating.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    I'm suggesting all attributes.

21. broth262

broth262 Dirty Terps

Featured Threads:
    So I think the way scouting is two tiered where you first get the letter and then the number, I think it would be better if it remains two tiered, but after scouting and first getting the letter (i.e. with the 88-99 range for A... etc) but the second tier being the A-, A, A+. So it is more specific, but still has some variability to it.

• Like Like x 1