Madden Strategy - Beating Press Man?

Discussion in 'Madden NFL Football' started by MoonBBad, Jan 28, 2013.

1. MoonBBad

MoonBBad http://twitch.tv/moonbbad

I didn't want to thread jack, so I thought i'd start a separate thread. I have issues beating press man. How do I beat it? I feel like slants should work, but my receivers get jammed at the line and take forever to break free. If I run an out, I frequently have the corner jump the route and get the easy interception. 10 yard comebacks don't work because again, I'm being jammed at the line.

I'm really struggling on offense, and it's because I stink, and just can't get things going. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

As an FYI I am running Carolina's PB and at this point I am probably leading the league in turnovers.

If anyone out there who's played me this year wants to elaborate on what they see when playing me, please feel free to do so.

2. Black Republican

Black Republican TMFL Commish -- **ISYMFS** --

Teams who actually run man press have man press personnel. However I doubt one through four are solid man press corners. Having a player(s) who can beat press / release is a great asset and will open up pretty much every route in the passing tree, because if the corner wiff's ANY route will work.
    Aside from that TE's, RB's generally aren't jammed immediately. If you make your reads and everyone is jammed look for a dump off receiver. Create mismatches by moving your #1 release guy in the slot from the play call menu. Drags, Slants, Outs, Ins, Flys, button hooks, Post in & out all work on man press.

3. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Bunch looks help because I think there are guys in those formations that can't be pressed. Also, make sure you mix up passing combinations. When I went through my "man press most of the game" phase- I knew guys were going to look for corner routes and other things I knew worked- so I shaded those. Most of the time, if those guys would have run routes to the inside with those slot players, they would have been open.

If you can, I'd make them pay with RG3 too if there isn't a spy.

4. JohnnyClutch

JohnnyClutch They only hear my truth

I have the same tough time on offense. Sometimes I cant even get drags to work against man and sometimes the cb will jump in front and pick the ball off on the drag route.

Also does anyone know how to stop TE streaks/seams/corners?

5. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

I'm with both of you on the Abysmal offenses. 2TD all year.

6. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

Moon I pressed Garçon once against you and it failed big time , lucky for me you didn't hit him so I lived to fight another day.

I have a hunch you might have a habit of doing some of my bad habits after looking at our game from my game capture. I will add some more specific info here in a bit for you bud.

7. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

MoonBBad I am no offensive guru , but something I do that gets me into trouble is locking onto 1 WR when I call a play and not looking at the matchups. After I went back and looked at our game I found quit a few plays where both of us had guys wide open but we just did not see them.

I try to have 2 main targets and if that breaks down I either look to tuck and run before the sack or have 3rd option on the opposite side of the field from my 1st read. It may be a bad playbook match for you too, the playbook I had prior did not work for me & what I am good at. Try to find plays that you can find multiple reads quickly and use those as backbone of pass play calling. Finding plays that are similar look but different routes to throw guys off too helps.

just my 0.02 bud , and take off with RGIII once and a while , dude is dangerous.

8. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

I just like that you took the time to get the C correct on Garcon.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

• Hitches. Have to be timed correctly but are pretty much money when they are.
    • Outs. Again timing is important a lot of the time
    • Use your TE or use stacked formations where players cant be bumped. TE's running outs and corners will eat man press alive. If he's running crossing routes or a slant those can be effective too.
    • Drags. It may be counter intuitive to do this but if you see the CB have great coverage pass lead the ball UP the field and AWAY from the defender. Experiment with bullet/lob. You'll find a sweet spot that will allow you to beat the coverage a lot of the time. Definitely not my favorite way, but as a last resort it can work.
    • Playmaker - You've heard about this I'm sure. Playmaker a guy running one way to stop and run the other. Once he cuts, throw. Definitely not something I'm even capable of doing, but some people do it.
    • Comeback - My all time favorite route is like a hot knife through butter when timed correctly. I generally max protect if I'm expecting man and throw about a 12 yard comeback route. Its a thing of beauty. If its cover 3 then you'll need someone running to the flat to pull the flat defender before you throw.
    • Stick n nod - speaks for itself.
    • Trail route - Is ridiculously good. Look for the HB Angle route as well. A lot of backs going out for passes will beat man but again, practice.
    • "modified" routes - You'll have to look for these. They don't really look like normal routes and you'll need to practice them to really understand the intricacies of how the players run the routes and their timings. IF you do that though, they are deadly. You'll find modified drags, digs, outs... the whole shibang. Look for them and try them out. A large portion of them beat man to man.
    • Wheel route - You'll want to wait until they break then lead the pass inside right when they break. Again not my favorite, but works in a pinch.
    • Mesh - see the drags above. The corner route in combination with the dual drags can be deadly in the right hands.
    • Y shallow cross - You've got a wheel, you've got a guy in motion who won't be bumped running a post, a drag, a dig and the HB running up then out. A lot of good stuff here so just practice it.
    Thats just off the top of my head. There are so many things you can do though, to be honest. In general though you probably need to make sure your protection is good first because a lot of people rely on that press to slow you down in hopes that their pass rush will get there before you can get a guy open. Keep yourself out of 3rd and long for that reason. If you have a bunch of guys running 15 yard routes you're not going to have a lot of success.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    MoonBBad

This really should have been posted in the Madden general forum.

MOVED.

11. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

MoonBBad

I thought these were good suggestions Chris...

• Like Like x 2
  12. CaptMoe

CaptMoe Walk On

Great stuff and the feedback is much appreciated.
    I don't know why but, some guys will clam up and not give anyone tips. I guess winning is just too important for them.
    I have a very busy schedule and I know part of my problem is the lack of practice time. But I don't want to give up Madden. I love football too much. I've had 2 5-11 seasons, both with a high number of INTs though i was able to reduce them in the 2nd season by adjusting my offense using some of the tips that have been discussed here. I'm grateful to the guys in my league who have helped me out either by sharing tips or running games with me to give me time to practice vs a live opponent.
    Keep up the good work!!! (y)

13. aarondramp

aarondramp ten thousand words

Passing isn't my issue. I can't run at all.

14. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

If I could run as half as decent as I pass...I have the same problem.

15. Snake Eyez

Snake Eyez Walk On

man press is still just too effective in m13.... once there is a real consequence for using it every play (i.e. def holding, illegal contact, or omg... maybe even pass interference), it might be balanced...

16. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

There are other intangible factors to the dilemma, though, which can enhance/limit the effectiveness of man press. Factors such as the level of play, or custom slider settings, and the player attributes for the individual players involved both offensively and defensively. I have actually seen a good share of PI calls due to over-aggressive (user) db's interfering with my receivers.