Maddenmania officially dead.

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by jkhaalis991, Jul 2, 2009.

1. jkhaalis991

jkhaalis991 Back in The Deuce...been gone too long.

Maddenmania officially dead.

From MMChrisS:

Right now, we see no particular fit within the OS model that MM specifically fits in. With no developer interaction there at all, and no specific reason to keep it going otherwise when we could offer similar (but better) services at OS, we simply decided to close the forum. It took quite a bit of deliberation as we explored all possible avenues, but it just wasn't meant to be. Traffic had (understandably so) dipped to levels which made it really unfeasible to keep it open. There is always a chance that sometime in the future we could see a need for MaddenMania within our plans again, but that time is not right now. We apologize for any inconvenience and want to thank all of our visitors who stuck with us through thick and thin.

Remember when this site was the shit back in the day.

2. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

So EA killed it?

3. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

Sounds to me like OS killed it. Without any admins to take care of the forums and continue to work on updating their look and feel to fit what was needed of the community, it died.

Really too bad. It's where I first heard of The Tradition back when they first started (when it was just one and two leagues) and it was where I got my first taste of a fairly well done OD in the East Coast Elite (which, sadly, died rather quickly because the commish disappeared and then half the users left).

4. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

East Coast Elite was also my first OD. Then when that collapsed I got into TTII and the rest is history.

5. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

MaddenMania was once the best place on the net (at least as far as I'm concerned!) for the discussion of the games, interaction with the community, etc.

The way I see it, there were several items that resulted in what has happened now. Way more than I'll mention here. The biggest was obviously selling the site to OS. I'm glad some people that worked real hard got some money out of it, but really, the majority of us that were behind the scenes and had put thousands of hours of our lives into it - but just didn't have an ownership stake - had voted against repeated opportunities to sell and finally the guys in charge decided they'd had enough of the current model. Certainly their right.

Before that, ChrisS being in control when he was a little too young/naive to really appreciate and respect long-term members. In the most literal sense possible, he valued the guy who just signed up as much as the guy who had been there for 8 years with 20,000+ posts.

The Soapbox Crowd got on the nerves of guys like ChrisS and Bigwill, and itself became the majority of the site's traffic. Since madden sucked for the past few years, they really should have seen that as a POSITIVE - i.e., something to keep the traffic coming and the site on life support until such a time as Madden was worth discussing again (missed it by THAT MUCH!....)

Well, Madden's worthy of discussion again, or at least appears it will be. And MM died several months ago....

The sad thing is, I've tried to get used to OS and get "into" it over there, but I just can't. I tried creating a post the other day and it was closed minutes later. Despite not saying anything offensive, and being on topic, the guy just closes it. Doesn't give a shit about me, what I might have contributed to the community over the years, etc. Just looking for threads to close to "keep the forum clean."

It just doesn't feel like "home."

6. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

Bittersweet. Spent a TON of time at MM for a decade. OS is awesome for content, but I rarely visit for more than 5 minutes at a time. Nine times out of ten, I am looking for something specific, get it and get out. No need to rehash, but I don't think any of the longtime members were happy to see how MM was handled at the end.

7. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

OS is a steaming pile of crap. I'd rather go to ncaastrategies than OS any day. The guys there are nice, willing to put up with stuff that most other places wouldn't (like people asking stupid questions because they're new), and in general are a cool bunch of guys that I'd actually play football with online.

OS, on the other hand, is like kiddie carnival or something. It's like the jailhouse let out all the inmates and they took over.

Unfortunately, when it comes to community input and output to the community on a personal level, OS, for some ungodly reason, is the place that EA decided to send their developers to, which is horribly unfortunate since ncaastrategies (at least when it comes to NCAA) has guys that know more about football and how it translates to these games than OS has community wide put together.

8. 1ke

1ke D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

No, in all honesty. The Soapbox being removed is what killed it. They knew what they were getting into when they did that. It is alot to get into, some of the mods didnt want to believe the majority when they said they would leave and the site would die.

They closed it, the video games sucked, people left, and the site died.

But i remembered the Tradtion from MM.

9. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

You are right Helli.......OS is not home. It is merely a place to extract some info from. I post on occasion but I rarley engage in conversation.

The place is simply boring for the most part.

10. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

I too agree with Helli 100%...I never was apart of MM but OS is a piece of shit and I hate it! lol seriously though

11. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Those are really the words I was looking for....

12. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Well it brings to an end what we all knew was coming. Sad day really. I had been a part of that site since alot of the original members were from Madden Central before it split into MM and Madden Planet I think.

Decisions were made that some thought were for the better of the site that ended up killing it off.

OS didnt kill MM. It was pretty busy still just over a year ago, the PS guys and the soap box and game room were very busy places.

Had alot of great discussions, met alot of cool people and played a ton of games...OS is a cool place for info...not much more it doesnt feel like a community at all.

RIP MM..

13. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

JMS... why are you always editing my posts!?

14. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

i am fixing my fucking spelling errors!

15. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

LOLOLOL Ok dude (y) I for one can hack your spelling mistakes if you stop editing my posts as a tradeoff :D

16. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Yeah it's disappointing. I mourned/got over it a long time ago. Like you said earlier. Thing was just waiting to get taken off life support for the last few months.

17. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

i didnt really care as long as i didnt lose touch with all you guys....if that would have happened i would have been pissed!!

18. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

things live and things die... that's the way the world works. I was a member of the site since Oct 2000

I wouldn't "blame" anyone or anything really... just the evolution of the site led itself to it's own demise. The absence of a solid game to hold the community's attention caused the users to turn to off-topic material and the some of the 'behaviour' got out of hand in my opinion.

I am beginning to understand some of the tribulations of running a site.. nothing to the extent of MM or OS by any means, but i respect the guys running them more now. I think there was a little indecision on their part right around the MM/DSM/OS identity crises that made the move to OS look a little odd... but in the end i think it was the best thing for the most part.

I know Helli and some of you guys liked the soapbox crew and such, but that was an incredulous fraternity of guys that became nearly impossible to manage. I know i wouldn't / won't allow that type of craziness over here, so why should they have too?

I like OS and i would ask that you not trash that site or the guys running it. Some of them are friends and league members who i have long outstanding relationships with.

And i can tell you that we, 'Tradition Football', would not be as successful as we are without their support of our leagues in the past and ongoing.

19. Ldawg57

Ldawg57 Guest

Those were good times. I remember when we had that racing league for Forza 2 (I was trojan657), it was the first time I was ever part of a "group/community" with organized play. Till this day it is the most fun I've ever had in online gaming

20. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

I am really sort of glad and proud that the Forza 2 nights were such a success and happy memory in people's mind.

Thanks for Bly for setting it up and all the members for racing. Hopefully we can have the same fun come Forza 3.

21. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

Need to quote that part because it was spot on.

IMO comparing OS to MM isn't an apples to apples.

MM was created originally expressly to create a community of Madden and later NCAA gamers.

OS is really a sports gaming information and opinion site. Even the forums are more geared toward informational purposes and not as much about just hanging out and talking gaming.

I guess another way to put this is OS is about the front page. That is the focus and everything trickles down from there. MM was always about the forums and decisions were made with that in mind. Makes the two very different beasts.

22. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

anyway, the closing of MM wasn't about one thing or one incident. it is something that has been snowballing for a few years now.

A big part of it was Madden going from being THE sports video game during the golden age of the PC and PS2 from say 2000 to 2004, to it being a lackluster title on the next gen consoles (and that might be an understatement). The Madden community went from talking about the game and playing year round, to concentrating on it for only a few weeks every year.

Simply put, we never would have launched DSM back in September of 2007 if MM was completely healthy.

The site went from a huge traffic spike in July through the launch of the game in August, followed by the traffic slowly tailing off until Christmas. Then we'd have another spike with it slowly tailing off by the Super Bowl. Our site had very good traffic for about 7 months out of the year - with a couple of more spikes in activity around the draft and E3.

Before DSM launched the site went from that, to having a huge spike in traffic in July that fizzled out by September. By the time the NBA and NHL games came out, people weren't playing Madden any more.

It started there. About 10 more elements thrown into a pot and we're at right now.

23. totalwreckage

totalwreckage TMFL Coach/GM NY Jets

I loved Maddenmania when Bly took over. Than it almost became too big, too many trolls, too much flaming, and in the end it just doesn't make reading things enjoyable. Maddenmania was the way I found my first madden league BMFL so I will never forget it, truly an amazing time playing Madden online back in the day on the PC. SO much ahrd work goes into providing sites like the Tradition and Maddenmania that I dont think anyone can ever eally know just how hard it is until they arei n those shoes. Kudos to everyone who built that mfer up

24. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

IMHO we just didn't have the elements of a successful long-term thing going on. We had guys using it as a steppingstone, we had guys (me, matty, and others) who just wanted to play videogames and BS with "friends" on MM and not really be consistent with our leadership roles, etc. We never really had the makings of a professional staff AT ALL, IMO. Then some of the other reasons I mentioned in this thread... Basically just too many reasons to count. Good thing that was probably never going to last forever. (y)

25. Chodite

Chodite Walk On

What a bunch of horse shit. F OS and F ChrisS.

- Chodite