MAJOR ISSUE - LETS DECIDE ASAP #1-CAP HIT

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by natedawg212000, Oct 23, 2009.

1. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

MAJOR ISSUE - LETS DECIDE ASAP #1-CAP HIT

Ok we have another thread going, but lets keep it in here.
    We need to decide how we will work cap hit.

as of right now it is simply when the trade a player there is no hit and the player reverts back to what his original overall rating calls for when he is on his new team.

if a team cuts a fa though they will take a cap hit for 1 year of whatever that players overall rating calls for.

question: do we want to keep it this way or change this to have a cap hit for trades also?

discuss...(sorry for no punctuation and being so short - i am in a major rush)

2. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

I say if a FA is signed for more than value someone should carry the extra that was paid for him.

ex

I signed CB Brown for 9 and traded him.His OVR point value is 6. I should have to carry the difference which is 3.

Someone has to take a hit otherwise people will just bid alot and then trade for no penalty for someone else they want.

3. natedawg212000

hum. ok. for how long? the year?

4. Jeremy

yes, just the year

5. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I agree with Jeremy. I like taking the difference between the overall and the bid as a cap hit for the year. I think that is the best way to handle it and doesn't handicap people for finding deals in FA (people that they sign for face value).

6. Branden

Branden Walk On

what happens if you win a free agent and he is a 6 pointer but thts all you paid and you want to release him?

7. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

If a free agent is cut by the team signing him, that team pays a cap hit of his overall for the year. So if they sign a guy for 6 points and he is a 73 overall, if they cut him that year, they still have a 6 point cap hit for the year.

8. natedawg212000

bump...where do we stand on this?

9. cadepetty247

cadepetty247 Walk On

i think if you sign a FA and trade them... the other team takes the salary u signed him for... and i think he takes the cap hit until the player is back in the FA pool...

10. natedawg212000

only issue I see with that is it may become really hard to keep track of. Maybe not, but maybe so. LOL

I think if a player is traded I agree with cade, then they are traded for what their cap number is. The only way a cap number should change is if they are released to the fas.

what about this. if a player is traded the team who trades them takes the cap his of whatever their overall rating is for the year, and the new team gets them at whatever they were signed for minus the overall rating. If a player is signed for what their overall rating is then the team who trades them takes that hit and the team who now has that player also has the same cap number.

so my example
    T. Ownes is a fa. Saints sign him (NEVER!) to a 30 pt cap number. Saints then trade him to the Bills. TO's overall rating cap is 8 (lets say for sake of the example). Saints would take the 8 cap hit for a year and the Bills would have a 22 Cap hit for as long as they keep him. Lets say bills next year trade him to the ravens. Bills would take his cap hit of 8 for a year and the Ravens would take a cap hit of 14 for as long as they keep him.

Lets say J. Willis WR who was signed by the Lions for 2 pts (minimum overall bid for his rating) and then trades him to the Browns. Lions would take a hit of 2 pts for a year and the Browns would have a 2 pt hit for as long as they keep him.

follow me?

11. cadepetty247

cadepetty247 Walk On

do we have a records of what players signed for ...the ones over the required cap like cb chris mcalister signed for 20 points...

12. Jeremy

the only records would be the actual threads but bobby has been keeping track on his cap sheet, also.

13. natedawg212000

correct. it's being kept in the cap book. So what do you guys think?

14. cadepetty247

cadepetty247 Walk On

i thik we need to take this in effect.... the players who signed over the minimum cap will still be accounted for until they are released into the free agents pool again.... if this goes through we all need a thread that shows our guys we payed over the required cap so we can go back to it after the season...and if we trade that guy the other team takes the cap it... thats their risk in trading for them

15. Jeremy

I am still in favor of this:

1-If a free agent is signed for a minimum bid according to his overall and is released during the year that he was signed that,team takes a cap hit of whatever point amount he was won at.

2-If a FA is signed for more than his minimum and is released that year that team takes a cap hit of his overall rating point value.

3-If a FA is signed for minimum and traded in that year the team getting the FA carries a cap of his ovr rating.

4- If a FA is signed for more than his minimum and is traded in that year, the team sending the player takes a cap hit for the amount over his minimum bid and carries that hit for the remainder of that year. The team getting the player carries his ovr point value.

ex,

I signed CB Thomas for 8 points in FA.His minimum was 6 points. I traded him to Jacksonville. I will carry a 2point cap hit for the year and Jacksonville will carry 6 points(His ovr minumum)

16. natedawg212000

I am good with mine or with jeremys. If the rest of you could please vote.
    there is no need for a thread though, we have the cap book that will keep track of that for us.

17. natedawg212000

question jeremy, what if I sign a wr for 20 pts and trade him 2 years after signing him or release him 2 years after signing him, should there be a hit then too?

18. natedawg212000

btw, I think there should I like Jeremy suggestion but take out the 'within the year' and have it say 'whenever'

19. cadepetty247

cadepetty247 Walk On

i like the idea jeremy but if this takes place we need some sort of control over it... so teams cannot just forget or not carry the points

20. Jeremy

Bobby has his cap spreadsheet setup to track this sort of stuff.. That dude is on-top of his game.

21. cadepetty247

cadepetty247 Walk On

wow thats great..than your idea would work perfectly

22. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I just glanced over this post, so forgive me if I am going over some other stuff already covered.

In the cap book, which should be posted every couple of days that is completely updated. Every free agent is color coded in red, with the value that they were won for locked in. No formulas are in those boxes like with normal players.

I like both ideas, but Jeremy's idea puts a lot of management on the owners/capologist. I personally don't mind, as I can keep up. But will the owners be able to keep up?

I will be getting back up to speed with the posts and whatnot, and it will take a while. But on this one, I am always in favor of rules that make this more like a real "capped" league.

23. natedawg212000

so are we doing jeremys idea or mine? i think they are basically the same.

24. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I think Jeremy's is a bit more fleshed out rulewise. Technically, they are the same though. Jeremy's is just worded to be put directly into the rules. Why not just say they are the same, and put both of them in the rules? What I mean by that is this:

1-If a free agent is signed for a minimum bid according to his overall and is released during the year that he was signed that, the team takes a cap hit of whatever point amount he was won at.

2-If a free agent is signed for more than his minimum overall value and is released that year that team takes a cap hit of his overall rating point value.

3-If a free agent is signed for minimum overall value and traded in that year the team getting the free agent carries a cap of his overall rating as if they had signed the free agent themselves.

4- If a free agent is signed for more than his minimum value and is traded, the team sending the player takes a cap hit for the overall amount for the remainder of the year. The team receiving the player carries a cap hit of the bidded amount minus the overall value, OR the overall value of the player, whichever is higher, for as long as they carry that player

EXAMPLE 1:

T. Owens is a FA. The Saints sign him to a 30 point cap number. The Saints then trade him to the Bills. TO's overall rating cap is 10 (his overall rating is 91, worth 10 points). The Saints, by trading Owens, would have a 10 point cap hit (his overall cap rating if he weren't a FA), and the Bills would have a 20 point cap hit for as long as they keep him (His number after the overall is subtracted from his original cap signed number of 30). Now the Bills next year trade him to the Cowboys. The Bills would then take his overall cap hit (10) for that year, and the Cowboys would then have a cap hit of 10 for as long as they keep Owens. If the Cowboys then trade Owens to another team, both the team receiving and the Cowboys would take a cap value of 10, with the Cowboys taking the cap hit for the year, and the receiving team would take Owens' overall value on.

I combined the two a bit, and highlighted areas I changed up. Let me know if that is the basic statement of what we are trying to do.

25. natedawg212000