Making sense of the new recruiting CSV from dynasty.easports.com

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by Hellisan, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Recently, EA released a blog in which Russ Kiniry explained that there are now CSV files (data files) available for things like the recruiting class, rosters, schedules, and the like. This was big for me, because i'm a spreadsheet kinda guy. I love using them.

From your online dynasty (http://dynasty.easports.com) you can go to the recruiting section, and it will say something like "download class"

If you save this file and then open it with excel... You can then save it as an excel file.

Now... Look at the data. It's pretty jumbled up. A lot of it doesn't make any sense at all at first glance. What you have here is one profile for each position player... And 15 profiles for each athlete. (one for every position except kicker/punter).

What we have to do with this jumbled data is sort it (to separate the athletes from all the other positions) and then establish the correct ratings headers for every position.

So here's how I go about it and it's pretty easy to do. Once you make a spreadsheet for yourself, you can save that and then open up a new one for every year. This process should take about 10 minutes if you know what you're doing and know Excel.

Now... At the very top of the file is a labeling for those ratings. Ignore that, I think it's only good for one position (QB). If you were to do this from scratch you'd have to go through and figure out what order (and which) ratings are there for each position. I'll at least be able to give you that.

first we will sort the data. If you don't know how to use excel at all, there are tons of help forums all over the net. You can find easy answers to almost anything on there. I had to teach myself all this crap, so...

Remember now you're working with an excel file not a CSV file. Do a double-layered sort.

Position (A-Z)
    Overall Ranking (Low to High)

This should create a situation where you see the top athlete at the very top. There will be 15 profiles for him... and then 15 profiles for EACH athlete thereafter. This is a bitch to work with. Below I will list what the ratings are for each position. The ATHLETES have 15 profiles so they have the ratings for just about everything other than Kicking in there.

Now... I recommend creating a separate tab for every position. With the athletes I just put all that data that on its own page. I make use of it (quite in depth in fact) but for now I'll challenge you to figure out what you want to do with it :)

Here are the ratings that are included for every position. Again, just finding these out takes quite awhile because it's not included with the file. There may be mistakes. If something is incorrect please notify me.

When you start pasting the data for each position into its own tab, here is what you will label them with at the top:

QB: SPD AWR THP THA AGI BTK ELU TRK CAR STA INJ

HB: SPD AWR BTK CAR TRK ELU AGI BCV STR CTH SFA SPM JKM RTE IBL RBK PBK ACC STA INJ

FB: SPD AWR BTK CAR STR TRK RBK RBS RBF PBK PBS PBF IBL AGI SFA BCV CTH ELU STA INJ

WR: SPD AWR CTH RTE CIT SPC JMP REL CAR BTK ELU AGI JKM SPM SFA STA INJ

TE: SPD AWR CTH CIT RTE RBK RBS RBF PBK PBS PBF IBL AGI RLS BTK STR STA INJ

T: SPD AWR RBK RBS RBF PBK PBS PBF IBL AGI STR STA INJ

G: SPD AWR RBK RBS RBF PBK PBS PBF IBL AGI STR STA INJ

C: SPD AWR RBK RBS RBF PBK PBS PBF IBL AGI STR STA INJ

DE: SPD AWR STR AGI TAK PMV (Invalid... All F's) BSH PUR HPW JMP ZCV STA INJ
    (right after power move for the DE's and DT's there's a rating that doesn't tie in with anything where I guess FMV should have been)... I have a suspicion it's something legitimate and may be useful for athletes... But haven't figured it out yet. Kick power? Who knows. I leave a space on the spreadsheet for this just so I can paste it easily in there... But I ignore it.

DT: SPD AWR STR AGI TAK PMV (Invalid... All F's) BSH PUR HPW JMP ZCV STA INJ

OLB: SPD AWR ACC AGI TAK PRC (Invalid... All F's) BSH PUR HPW JMP ZCV STA INJ

MLB: SPD AWR ACC AGI TAK PRC (Invalid... All F's) BSH PUR HPW JMP ZCV STA INJ

CB: SPD AWR MCV ZCV PRS CTH AGI PRC PUR TAK STR JMP HPW BSH ACC STA INJ

FS: SPD AWR MCV ZCV PRS CTH AGI PRC PUR TAK STR JMP HPW BSH ACC STA INJ

SS: SPD AWR TAK MCV ZCV PRC HPW CTH PUR STR PRS AGI JMP BSH ACC STA INJ

K: SPD AWR KPW KAC AGI STR THP THA STA INJ

P: SPD AWR KPW KAC AGI STR THP THA STA INJ

So... From that sorted data section I highlight all the centers (and their attributes) and copy it, and paste it into cell A2. Row 1 is used for the ratings, headers, etc.

Then do the same thing for cornerbacks... And right down the line. doing it once is a chore, but from then on you will have something easy to work with that you can look at the entire class.

If you want to translate the grades into actual numbers... consider a VBLOOKUP table. (find out how to make these by searching online) You have to create something off to the side where you have each rating and the corresponding number side by side, and then make another complete heading section for all the ratings, etc... Easy to do. I use an estimate like this:

A+ 98
    A 95
    A- 92
    B+ 88
    B 85
    B- 82
    C+ 78
    C 75
    C- 72
    D+ 68
    D 65
    D- 62

...except for with awareness, D- can really be around a 50... but whatever. I just go with 62.

From here you should have a pretty easy way to look at all the recruits at once. You can really get as in depth as you want with this.

Good luck.

2. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

I was wondering when you were going to post this on your "home" forum:)

3. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

Do a video and post on youtube Helli!! Easier for me!!!

4. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    You mean VLOOKUP?

BTW, I've been using the template you sent me.:)

If I had the time or desire I could write a VBA (or VSTO) macro to do this automagically.

5. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

That template is worth its weight in GOLD!

6. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Amen

7. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Yeah writing a template to organize all the info automatically is something I could do, but would take me hours on end. I'm not great at that stuff.

8. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Is there anyway to import the excel file into a database, where you could then look up recruits and create reports based on who they signed to (youd obviously have to add a commit column and edit it when somebody signs)

9. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Yeah that would be pretty easy to do. These CSV's have all the basic recruit data, and then as you mentioned, you would have to basically sort it, add those columns, and update when people sign. Would be pretty easy.

10. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

MS Access.....pretty easy. I still wouldn't sign anyone! Give me back Penn State!

11. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

that would be nice to just generate reports for each user team then post them in the forums when we get tables ( :D ) and then wouldnt have to force guys to post them and make tables themselves, you could just have 1 thread where they report who you sign, then add it to the database and generate reports at the end of the season

12. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    I already started writing the Macro. Had to leave it alone with all that is going on.

13. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

My sheet rates all the players three ways (for instance a halfback... Power/Speed/Balanced) and ranks them. I don't care about the 5 minutes it takes to sort and cut/paste them into the correct tabs..

I wanna thank the Tradition and Uprising for taking 5 day vacations, otherwise I never would have had the time. lol

14. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Yeah, I planned on a drop down to sort by all of those and then predicted OVR.

15. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Where can I get one of these templates?

16. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I wish I had asked this so I didn't have to spend all that time on it ;)

lol