Man defense in '11

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by RaveDown, Jul 11, 2010.

1. RaveDown

RaveDown Get Worked

Man defense in '11

I only played for a few hours today between practice and two live games but it seems to me that man defense is even more shut down then last year.

Still can not throw in or out routes. Comeback routes no matter if I throw it before the WR comes back, with and without directional passing or until he's done with his route can I complete it. The deep comeback routes just take to damn long to develop.

You could complete post routes last year, but it was a nice balance because you could not complete them all the time. In practice and in the live games I've played I have had no luck. In every situation the corner runs the route as good as the WR and I have yet to see the WR get any seperation from a corner. Only once did I complete one and that was against a cover zero blitz in which I lobbed the ball up and just out ran the corner to it.

I was telling this to a buddy of mine while I was practicing with Arkansas against Miami. He said try it against an inferior team so I chose La Tech as the team to practice against. The WR was Childs who is over 90 OVR against a 67 OVR CB. I tried running a post route against cover 2 man, the CB stayed with Childs and he never got any seperation. What would happen most of the time is that one of the safeties would come and pick it off. I tried throwing the ball before and after he would break. Then I tried with cover 1 man with the saftey on the other side of the field having to deal with the other WR running a go route and I could maybe complete it 30% of the time. The times I did complete it I could not notice really any difference in the coverage then the times the corner would jump it and swat/pick the ball off.

So far the only routes that I can complete are drags, slants and the occasional corner route. I'd like to hear what other people think once they play. Is man coverage to good or just right? In 07, 08 and 09 man coverage was pretty much a joke and I always hoped for the day it would become relevant again. I got my wish

2. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Defense is back baby!

That and ratings matter. I have had mostly low scoring affairs, I think the defense really can shut the offense down. Granted I haven't played that much, but I am not moving the ball NEARLY as well as I did in '10.

The other thing that is incredibly impressive to me is how much ratings matter. I think everyone should start '11 by going into practice, running with Noel Devine (WVU), then switching to John Clay (Wisconsin). They are so incredibly different, both effective but for entirely different reasons. The offensive line really can manhandle weak defenses, AND really good defensive lines get great pressure.

I can't wait for leagues to start.

3. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I seemed to have no problems completing the corner route in the demo lol...let's see how it is in the game.

4. Badger 8th

Badger 8th Walk On

You do not tackle J-Clay. Only He decides when he wants to go down.

5. Bamaboiking

Bamaboiking Walk On

This is good because i like to recruit strong man to man cover corners who can tackle, you cant tackle i dont want you.

6. jschwa17

jschwa17 Walk On

Hahahaha, John Clay is the Chuck Norris of college football

7. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

I'm dissappointed by some of the WR/DB coverages as well. The one thing that really upsets me is with the new 120 styles of play, you can't implement some of them. I like the run n shoot or the air raid and the keys of those offenses are the short 3-5 yd routes that are like your running plays. In NCAA it doesn't seem like you can ever hit the short routes but it's easier to hit the deep routes. Counterintuitive in my opinion.

But I'm going to try not to complain this year!

8. 1ke

1ke D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Ive been seeing at various places, that the man is ok as long as its not on Heisman. Im seein that zone HAS to be on Heisman or it will suck.

9. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Do you guys think using the gameplan features helps this out? For example, conservative coverages to not get beat deep or something.

10. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

I threw all over hiesman defense in the demo. I pray the defense is better!

11. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Your a lot better than I am, haha

12. Hova

I have always been great at passing in NCAA, not so much at the run game. ESPECIALLY agaisnt the CPU when it comes to passing. I never seem to be pressured at all (atleast in 10) so I can always find the open guy. Better pass rush and coverage should make it more of a challenge. I know I will be challenged on defense with the new locomotion, no more dominating with my safety, looks like I will have to commit to one guy on the field as it should be. Can't wait for tonight!

13. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    A) Good teams put the pressure on me.
    B) No more Lawrence (God like stats)?!?! What is the world coming to?

14. Hova

Hahaha Unless I get a safety with 99 Agility ;)