Man/Zone Combos

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by majesty95, Jun 11, 2012.

1. majesty95

majesty95 Show class, have pride, and display character.

Jun 5, 2012
    I feel like I've played A LOT of NCAA 12 (15+ seasons) but I cannot remember seeing any true man/zone combos on defense. I also feel like I remember seeing quite a few of these on PS2 (or maybe it was Madden).

Specifically, I remember using Cover 2 Man/Zone combos and Cover 3 Man/Zone combos. There has been a lot of discussion in one of my leagues lately on how manually creating man/zone combos combats some of the "cheese" you run into online. That has made me wonder why these are not more prevalent in the game and if adding them wouldn't allow the user to better combat some of this garbage we run into.

I've also suggested that changing defensive player assignements be more like offense where you press a hot route button, choose the defender with one of the 11 buttons (d-pad, shoulders and traditional buttons are available), choose the assignment and then lastyly choose the receiver to man up (if you chose to put them in man). That seem like it would be a much quicker and less obvious way of creating your own man/zone combos if they do not add them to the game.

2. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

Jul 7, 2011
    I think I saw one man/zone combo play added into '13 out of the Dime formation. I know what you mean though, I remember seeing one as recent as '11 where the slot CB was man on his receiver while the other DBs where in zone, but I didn't see it in '12.
  3. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

Jul 25, 2010
    This is a cornerstone in my defense, year in and year out. They do allow hot routes, that I'll use to mix up the looks. Sometimes it works against the CPU, but mostly it's for User games because I hope less to stop them, and more to confuse them for a second or two more so that I can get to the QB and get a sack.