Mandatory Cut Question

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by weblink21, Feb 22, 2010.

1. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

Mandatory Cut Question

An owner asked me this question yesterday and I wasn't sure of the answer so I told him I would look into it. His question was about mandatory cuts and our rule of cutting players in the off-season to shed their salary. This is the rule that he was asking about:

"3 - Players signed as free agents maybe released during the offseason for no cap hit before free agency is opened up. After free agency is opened up all players cut are treated as if cut during a year."

When he was explaining, I was confused so he used my team as an example. He said that I signed Donald Driver last off season for 20 pts. The rules above states that "Players signed as free agents maybe released during the offseason for no cap hit before free agency is opened up."

Are mandatory cuts counted as the off season? If Driver fell into my top 10 offensive players, could I cut him as part of my 3 players and save the 20 points or would he have to be cut before then to save the 20 pts? Let me know if that does not make sense. Like I said, I was a little confused about what he was asking myself.

2. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

what that rule means is we do the offseason first and then we open up free agency. If the player is cut as a mandatory or cut before we open up FA bidding then its no cap hit, if he is released any time after the bidding has started, then there is a cap hit.

3. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

Thanks Nate. I will let him know.