***MANDATORY REPLY: Passing Distribution & Sportsmanship***

Discussion in 'Quality Simulation Football' started by LtJustice, Dec 18, 2013.

1. LtJustice

LtJustice QSF Commissioner

PLEASE BE SURE TO REVIEW THIS ENTIRE POST. REVIEW AND RESPONSE IS MANDATORY!

Gentlemen,

I wanted to take this opportunity to discuss a couple of issues that have been prevalent as of late here in The Q. I want to make sure that these issues are recognized and our expectations are clear.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Passing (TEs, HBs, & Slots)

Everyone should be well aware by now of our expectations when it comes to distributing the ball on offense. This was touched on on multiple occasions throughout season 1.

First and foremost, excessive use of the TE position is considered abuse and will not be tolerated. We have lost owners for this very reason. Any team that has a TE leading their team in receptions by a wide margin are not in compliance. That's not to say that a TE can't lead a team in receptions, but there better be a WR (or two) right there with him. I have had conversations with multiple owners about this issue. The majority have been understanding and accepting of the need to balance things out. This is unfortunately one of the things where we can't always mimic the NFL, and we have these rules in place for a reason.

In this same vein, I also want to reiterate that slot receivers and backs are expected to be used in moderation as well, when it comes to the passing game. The intent is not to handcuff anyone's play style, and every game can be different; but if you find yourself passing to your slot receivers more than your outside receivers, you need to adjust your play style.

The final thing I will say on the passing game is regarding the use of top WRs in the slot.

While there are plays that do this naturally in nearly every playbook, this is not expected to be abused. Yes, this is another instance of a limitation that doesn't necessarily reflect what we see in the NFL. But with no option to assign defenders, the use of top WRs in the slot can be viewed as taking advantage of the AI. Again, if the formation calls for the move naturally, it may be used (in moderation). But at no time should anyone be using the formation subs to manually move top WRs to the inside to gain an advantage.

Showing Sportsmanship

This is very important to us as we feel it is vital to the success of a healthy league. Showing good sportsmanship is a huge part of showing your opponent respect, win or lose.

The biggest issue I have lately in this regard, is to do with post game behavior. Too many times I have heard owners make excuses, complain, or just generally bitch at/to their opponent after a loss. Whether you are making passive aggressive comments about your opponents play calling, complaining about how certain parts of the game are over powered or broken, or just bitching about getting screwed, what you are really doing is discrediting your opponents hard fought victory. Doing so is a disservice to your opponent and can very easily take away the fun of the win for them. That may not be the intention, but all to often that is the direct result. Just chill out, take your lumps and move on.

The other side of this is once again in-game complaints. We have discussed this before and it continues to be a problem with some of you. Please do not pester your opponents in game to complain about their play calling or some other minimal issue. If they are doing something that is particularly egregious, then by all means bring it to their attention. If it's something that is based on perception (play calling, distribution, etc), perhaps it's best to wait until after the game when you have had a chance to decompress. Many times something that seems like a huge deal at the time, in hindsight turns out to be nothing.

Now if there is an issue that is worth discussing, we need to hear about is as well. Many times it can be part of a pattern, that if we don't hear about it, we are not aware of it. It is each owners responsibility to help make this the best experience it can be.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you all for your attention regarding these concerns. I hope everyone is having a great time in The Q and these are just minimal issues that need to be addressed to continue to make this one of the best leagues around!

Please reply to this thread acknowledging you have reviewed it. If anyone has any questions or concerns, please post them in a reply, or contact me directly.

Thanks,

~Jim

Aaron (Hulk_hagen_55 )
    Alex (Ninersfan80)
    Avery (AveryB)
    Carl T. (CTfromDC)
    Chris (CSteud)
    Curtis (thafuture3886)
    Danny (DJDunn6)
    Dave (saintsdave75)
    Doug (CHUNKNESS)
    Eddie (pittrocks43)
    Eric (Easy Dez It)
    Heath (heathh)
    James M. (cry_havoc)
    James Y. (Phenom)
    Jeremy (Jeremy)
    Jim (LtJustice)
    Jon (Warhawk AKA dreadman)
    Josh (Josh Barnes)
    Juan V. (Juan Valencia)
    Karim (Zikry)
    Kris (Coach KO)
    Lawon (MrWitness36)
    Loren (ThaBayouChef)
    Michael C. (KNICKSFAN_84)
    Michael O. (Michael Overman)
    Mike A. (Miki1369)
    Moe (CaptMoe)
    Pope (dablakpope)
    Rob (PepperNY)
    T.J. (klaximilian)
    Troy (redlishus)
    Vin (VinfortheWin)

PLEASE BE SURE TO REVIEW THIS ENTIRE POST. REVIEW AND RESPONSE IS MANDATORY!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
    • Like Like x 5
  2. ThaBayouChef

ThaBayouChef Walk On

Agree, agree, agree...And read.

• Like Like x 1
  3. CTfromDC

CTfromDC Where my money?

acknowledging I have reviewed it, understood

• Like Like x 1
  4. thafuture3886

thafuture3886 Power Rankings Analyst

Read and ackowledged. A couple points...

1) Is swapping your #1 and #2 on occasion okay? I do this sometimes if 1 wr is running a streak and one inside based on my wr's attributes and if it's against the rules i will stop.

2) Recently in a game against klaximilian and without getting into specifics, I may have overblown a play at the end of the game and I told him I wasn't mad nor did I blame him for it but it's just something I wouldn't do. He won the game fair and square and the play had no bearing on who won or lost it was just a preference thing. If you felt I was discrediting your win or blaming you in some way, than i extend my apologies.

3) I'm one of those with the TE leading their team with 37 catches and my #1 and #2 wr's have 28 and 25 catches respectively. Again if that's an issue I can change that.

That's all folks!

• Like Like x 3
  5. guitarDADDY1208

guitarDADDY1208 Walk On

Read and agree

• Like Like x 1
  6. cry_havoc

cry_havoc Walk On

Firmly agreed.

• Like Like x 1
  7. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

I was concerned that somehow the end of the game tarnished our long streak of close games that we have played over the years. I'll be honest man, there is no one else I'd rather play against or lose to than you Curtis. I felt bad...but not because I won the game by a hair, but because I didn't want the way the game ended to leave a bad taste in your mouth.

I was not worried about being discredited because I know that wasn't your intention, nor is it ever. I know where you are coming from 99% of the time, and you've always had the right intentions.

Thanks for bringing this up. You didn't have to, but I appreciate it.

• Like Like x 3
  8. thafuture3886

thafuture3886 Power Rankings Analyst

my man (y)

Next time it won't be close :D

• Like Like x 2
  9. ThaBayouChef

ThaBayouChef Walk On

• Like Like x 5
  10. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

I'm a culprit of the TE concern, I will admit that Jim and had a chat regarding the usage of TEs. I firmly agree and understand where he is coming from.

In my defense, and I'm not claiming to be free of guilt here, is that I spread the ball out evenly to 3 WRs and two RBs in addition to my TE. Many teams pass mainly to their top-2 WRs, 1 RB, and their TE, leaving it as close to an even distribution of WR/TE receptions. My WR totals are only around 25 catches each, or about 75 combined catches. If I split these catches between 2 main WRs, my top target would probably have somewhere between 40-45 receptions, while the other had about 30-35 receptions.

My TE (Carr) who most of you probably are aware is a physical freak that is very difficult to cover, has around 50 catches. Without doing the specific math, I think he catches roughly 30% of my completions and about 5 per game. My WRs total about 45% of my completions, and the backs are the remaining 20-25%. I spread it out, maybe a little too much that I don't predominantly use one WR to pass to that he would lead the team in receptions. Moving forward, I'm going to do my very best to lean on 1 or 2 WRs which will close the gap slightly for the remainder of the season, and try to avoid letting Carr, my TE, lead the team week in and week out. I just wanted to make it known so no one thinks I abuse (intentionally or not) my TE.

• Like Like x 1
  11. dablakpope

dablakpope Walk On

I too am one who's TE leads his team in catches. I don't pass much and prior to week 11 he was only averaging 3.3 catches a week. Personally I don't think that's a issue because I pass the ball to him on a variety of different plays. I'm not stat hogging or trying to make him the most prolific pass catcher in the history of the game. I'm just playing my style of play. But I will make adjustments I just don't agree.

12. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

Lets be honest, I think every game we've had has been decided by a TD or less. We build teams the same way, we play the same way, and pretty much every game we've played has proven that it's always going to be a close one.

Just think your typical @ Ravens vs. Steelers slugfest. That's us pretty much. (I'll let you be the Steelers in this analogy ;) )

• Like Like x 2
  13. Juan Valencia

Juan Valencia Walk On

read and understood.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Coach KO

Coach KO Walk On

15. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

read and understood.

• Like Like x 1
  16. DJDunn6

DJDunn6 Walk On

Read and signed and on another note the issue with TE or RB passes can be almost single handedly attributed too much man under being called and in particular every 3rd and long. Also why people swap a better WR to the slot man cover can only be beaten with a couple plays when is in the passing game. The slot and TE free open easier than a WR on the outside. Also I have been passive aggressive on a couple counts right after a game as well and it's not the right way to get a point across I apologize and will take a better route if there is an issue going forward.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Easy Dez It

Easy Dez It Walk On

Read and agree... My only question is are the owners that are not in compliance with any of the said rules aware of it?

• Like Like x 1
  18. LtJustice

1) Swapping sides is not an issue.

2) Well said. Looks like you guys understand each other. :love:

3) As of now it looks ok. Just be sure to keep those WRs involved ;)

• Like Like x 2
  19. LtJustice

TJ and I did discuss this, as he said. As I told him, I understand completely where he is coming from regarding spreading the ball among 3 WRs, and he understood me about the TE usage. Simply put, his TE had more catches than his 1st & 2nd receivers combined, and that was what stood out. TJ's TE led (or tied for the lead) his team in catches nearly every game this season, and that's what led to the huge gap here. As has been discussed with him, I have no doubt that TJ can continue to use his TE for the weapon that he is, while not having him be the focal point week in and week out. Thanks TJ!

• Like Like x 3
  20. LtJustice

Pope, you and I have spoken as well. As I told you, and to be transparent for everyone's sake, it's not about how much or little you pass. Rather it is about the number of catches your TE has in relation to your receivers. I am sorry if you don't agree, but I hope you at least understand where we are coming from. The intention is not to handcuff any single owner or style of play, but rather to make the league as enjoyable as can be for everyone involved.

• Like Like x 3
  21. LtJustice

I understand what you are saying DJ. But I think this falls into the category of "just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should."

• Like Like x 4
  22. LtJustice

Yes

But at the same time, we need everyone to be self aware. It shouldn't take a talk from someone else for anyone to realize they are not playing within the Rules & Requirements.

• Like Like x 2
  23. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

Yep. Nicks led me the last game, as I'm trying to focus on making one or two WRs my main targets in addition to the TE, instead of including the slot guy (or 3rd WR) all the time. The gap will close. I'm just not sure how much in the next 4 games.

• Like Like x 2
  24. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

Read, understood and agree

• Like Like x 1
  25. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

read and signed

• Like Like x 1