MANDATORY REVIEW:***2017 Week 4 is open! Deadline Friday 1/31/14 @ Midnight EST***

Discussion in 'Quality Simulation Football' started by LtJustice, Jan 29, 2014.

1. LtJustice

LtJustice QSF Commissioner

Ok guys, first things first; the franchise has been advanced and the 2017 week 4 is now open. The deadline for week 4 is Friday 1/31/14 @ Midnight EST.

REMINDER:

- All division games require a recap. The list of required recaps will be posted at a later time (Michael Overman).

- Use of the scheduling forum is REQUIRED! Any owner not posting in the scheduling forum within 24 hours of advance (unless the game is played in that time frame), will be considered as not doing their part.

- Off-season trades are now closed. Teams with regular season trades left to use, are free to use them.
    PLEASE REVIEW
    There are a few concerns that I wanted to address with everyone. Some of these are based on complaints and some are simply based on observation. If you find yourself to be an offender of any of these issues, please take steps to rectify the situation immediately.

• Throwing On The Run - If a QB is being immediately pursued out of the pocket by a defender, he can get rid of the ball at any time. However, we do not want to see QBs sprinting toward the sideline or toward the line of scrimmage, only to pull up and throw the ball down field. Basically, don't make like you are going to run with the QB, to pull defenders off of coverage, and then pass it.
    • Running Outside - This is a longtime struggle that most of you should be familiar with. There are actually 3 parts to this issue. Number one, we don't want to see guys bouncing runs meant to go inside, immediately to the outside. If it's an inside run, give the play a chance to develop. Secondly, make sure you are running both inside and outside runs. Some guys fall in love with the outside and almost never run it inside. Lastly, we don't want to see guys trying to get to the sideline on damn near every run. Even on most "outside runs", you should be able to turn the ball up-field well before the sideline. That's not to say that getting to the sideline is forbidden, but some seem to make it their objective on just about each and every carry.
    • Receiver Movement - Everyone should be well aware that taking control of your receiver, after a throw, and moving then off of their route is prohibited. You can take control of the receiver to try to make a manual catch, or put them in better position with a strafe or the timing of a jump, but you may not intentionally pull them off of their route to clear out the defense.
    • Read Option - Just to reiterate; R/O can only be done with a mobile QB, regardless of whether the result of the play is a QB run or not.
    • Running Clock - We are into our 3rd season of Madden 25 now. Everyone should have a pretty good grasp on their playbook and game plan. If you don't, hit the practice field. There is no reason that anyone should be running the play clock down on each and every play. Call your play, make your adjustments, give the defense a couple of seconds, and snap the damn ball. Nothing saps the fun out of a game more than sitting there waiting for your opponent to call their plays for 30 seconds every down. It is even worse when you get to the line quick and it then takes 10-20 seconds for the offense to snap the ball. Obviously this doesn't apply to the last 2 minutes of a half, when running clock is allowed. But all other times, let's try to keep things moving at a fairly brisk pace.
    • Run/Pass Ratio (mixing up play calling) - This one has many facets. Whether we are talking about calling the same plays repeatedly, or just the ratio of types of plays called, and it applies to both sides of the ball. Don't rely on the same 2 or 3 run plays for a whole drive, or repeatedly use the same pass patterns. Mix up whose running it or catching it, and how they are doing so. Dive into your playbook and learn to use all of it. You should never have to use the same offensive play more than 2-3 times in one game in most cases. Likewise with the types of plays to call. Generally we shouldn't see teams passing the ball 30+ times and running it less than 10 (or vice versa). On the same token, nobody should be running 2 man under for 80% of their defensive snaps. Mix that shit up and learn to diversify your play calling.
    • Cuts Vs. "Moves" - We discussed this early in the life of the franchise and it warrants bringing up again. We don't want to see anyone just using the left stick to make cuts back and forth, to essentially wiggle their way through traffic with the ball carrier. Learn to use the running moves (juke, spin, etc) if you want to get better at weaving through traffic. The change of direction cuts can definitely be exploited to zig zag through tacklers, but we don't want to see anyone doing that garbage.
    • Unrealistic Stats - This one goes back even to previous seasons. Basically we try to be as sim of a league as we can. Obviously this is a game and we are limited on some aspects. However, one area that is well in our control is the offensive stats. We need everyone to take accountability and show some self restraint when it comes to extraordinary stats. Whether it's guys trying to hit XP goals, or just not caring to diversify their play calling; we have definitely seen some games, stretches, or whole seasons, that have given us cause for concern. Now we are nit saying that players can't have big games, but sometimes there is a fine line between a big game and abusing the game, some guys need to learn when to reign it in a bit.
    • Depth Charts/Roster Requirements - Again, just a reminder. If you still haven't reviewed the updated requirements for DEPTH CHART and ROSTER REQUIREMENTS, what are you waiting for?
    Good luck to everyone in week 4!

~Jim

Aaron (Hulk_hagen_55 )
    Alex (
    Ninersfan80)
    Avery (
    AveryB)
    Carl T. (
    CTfromDC)
    Chris (
    CSteud)
    Curtis (
    thafuture3886)
    Danny (
    DJDunn6)
    Dav
    e (saintsdave75)
    Doug (
    CHUNKNESS)
    Eddie (
    pittrocks43)
    Eric (
    Easy Dez It)
    Heath (
    heathh)
    James M. (
    cry_havoc)
    James Y. (
    Phenom)
    Jeremy (
    Jeremy)
    Jim (
    LtJustice)
    Jon (
    Warhawk AKA dreadman)
    Josh (
    Josh Barnes)
    Juan V. (
    Juan Valencia)
    Karim (@karim)
    Kris (
    Coach KO)
    Lawon (
    MrWitness36)
    Loren (
    ThaBayouChef)
    Michael C. (
    KNICKSFAN_84)
    Michael O. (
    Michael Overman)
    Mike A. (
    Miki1369)
    Moe (
    CaptMoe)
    Pope (
    dablakpope)
    Reis (
    Mugga)
    Rob (
    PepperNY)
    T.J. (
    klaximilian)
    Troy (redlishus)

• Like Like x 4
  2. AveryB

AveryB Walk On

Read and understood, especially the running the clock review (y)(y)(y)

3. ThaBayouChef

ThaBayouChef Walk On

Two things I would just like to state on this subject. The first is that there are a lot of players that like to make defensive adjustments here. If people make those adjustments, I wait to snap the ball so I can see what their new defense looks like. Even though I don't change a thing once their defense is set, I still wait both out of generosity to them to get their defense set and to me. If you hike the ball in the middle of a defensive shift, the defense will more than likely take advantage of the glitch that allows them to exploit the oline. Because of these defensive adjustments, the clock runs past :15 occasionally....On the clock run down itself, I agree. The only other thing, which I've came across a few times this season which I personally find even more aggitating, is when people let their :10 defensive play calling clock run all the way down. I'm not sure what/if the advantage of that is, but I think the "hit the practice field" statement could be used in that regard, too. IMO.

4. CaptMoe

CaptMoe Walk On

Read it. Thanks...

5. thafuture3886

thafuture3886 Power Rankings Analyst

6. MrWitness36

MrWitness36 Walk On

(y) Read and understood

7. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

Thanks, Jim.

This is entirely different and a required practice to wait for the defense to set prior to snapping the ball. If the offense calls their play with :25 left on the playclock, waiting for the defense to set should never be an issue. The only time snapping the ball w/out the defense in position would be if the playclock was reaching :00; at which time the defense should call a TO, or suffer the consequences. The only time the playclock should be reaching :00 is after a penalty or injury TO in which the playclock is already shortened.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ThaBayouChef

ThaBayouChef Walk On

Just wanted this to be pointed out as well.

9. thafuture3886

Regarding the Read Option, could we get a list of those that are "mobile" qb's so we know in advance who should/shouldn't be running the Read Option?

LtJustice

10. Coach KO

Coach KO Walk On

for the record, i think that only allowing Mobile QBs in the read option is limiting to people who may have serious run threats but are listed as balanced QBs. I have a QB that has 84 spd and 86acc but because he is balanced QB, cant run the read option. With that beign said, I havent called one read option play in this version because of my playbooks. But having the option (pun intended) would be helpful.

• Like Like x 1
  11. MrWitness36

MrWitness36 Walk On

I believe if you click on th player it should show player type someting like that

12. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

Thank you Jim, glad this was brought up.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

Read, understood, and appreciated. Now I gotta figure out why I can't use the R2 speed button anymore and all will be good :)

14. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

This.

For those that don't have a mobile QB (like me now, damn you Geno) maybe using a PB that doesn't have RO could both avoid any mistakes in playcalling and avoid temptation.

15. thafuture3886

oh yeah i know that but i just think it'll be easier if the list was compiled and kept in 1 place as opposed to having to go to check before every game

• Like Like x 1
  16. Coach KO

Coach KO Walk On

I go into every game that i play thinking that they are mobile QBs.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Mugga

Mugga Walk On

Read and understand

18. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

I'm assuming the kickoff issue has been cleaned up (bouncing outside)

19. Ninersfan80

Ninersfan80 Walk On

Read and understood

20. CSteud

CSteud Walk On

Big 10-4

21. DJDunn6

DJDunn6 Walk On

Read and understood

22. dablakpope

dablakpope Walk On

23. Michael Overman