MANDATORY REVIEW:***2019 Week 2 is open! Deadline Sunday 4/6/14 @ Midnight EST***

Discussion in 'Quality Simulation Football' started by LtJustice, Apr 4, 2014.

1. LtJustice

LtJustice QSF Commissioner

PLEASE BE SURE TO REVIEW THIS ENTIRE POST. REVIEW AND RESPONSE IS MANDATORY!

Ok guys, first things first; the franchise has been advanced and 2019 week 2 is now open. The deadline for week 2 is Sunday 4/6/14 @ Midnight EST.

REMINDER:

- All division games require a recap. The list of required recaps will be posted at a later time (Michael Overman).

- Use of the scheduling forum is REQUIRED! Any owner not posting in the scheduling forum within 24 hours of advance (unless the game is played in that time frame), will be considered negligent.

- Off-season trades are now closed. Teams with regular season trades left to use, are free to use them.
    PLEASE REVIEW
    Let me start by saying thank you to all of you for continuing to make this one of the absolute very best Madden leagues in existence. It is my privilege to steer this ship, but each and every one of you are responsible for making The Q great! The fact that we have a full roster of dedicated owners, starting a brand new season in April, is something we can all be proud of. To me, the best part of that fact is that we have been able to maintain our admittedly high standards for ownership and we don't have to resort to bringing in owners that are just "bodies", for the sake of staying full. There have been some bumps in the road, as there will always be, but I couldn't be more happy about our current group.

With that being said, I just wanted to take this opportunity to be proactive in our new season and put a point of emphasis on some of our requirements and expectations. I felt that this was a good time , since we have a handful of newer owners to our league, so we can make sure we are putting our best foot forward as we embark on this new season. Obviously we expect everyone to be familiar with and abide by our LEAGUE RULES, but I also realize that some of these situations aren't specifically addressed there. Some of these topics are based on past complaints and some are simply based on observations. If you find yourself to be an offender of any of these issues, please take steps to rectify the situation immediately.

Please don't simple skim the list and "Agree" because you have seen some of these topics before, please be sure to review each of these thoroughly and reply to this post to indicate you have done so.

• Throwing On The Run - If a QB is being immediately pursued out of the pocket by a defender, he can get rid of the ball at any time. However, we do not want to see QBs sprinting toward the sideline or toward the line of scrimmage, only to pull up and throw the ball down field. Basically, don't make like you are going to run with the QB, to pull defenders off of coverage, and then pass it.
    • Running Outside - This is a longtime struggle that most of you should be familiar with. There are actually 3 parts to this issue. Number one, we don't want to see guys bouncing runs meant to go inside, immediately to the outside. If it's an inside run, give the play a chance to develop. Secondly, make sure you are running both inside and outside runs. Some guys fall in love with the outside and almost never run it inside. Lastly, we don't want to see guys trying to get to the sideline on damn near every run. Even on most "outside runs", you should be able to turn the ball up-field well before the sideline. That's not to say that getting to the sideline is forbidden, but some seem to make it their objective on just about each and every carry.
    • Audibles/Hot Routes (Offense) - This is an area where moderation is key. There is nothing wrong with occasionally getting a look at the defense and changing up the play at the line. But this is not something that should be done on every play (outside of acceptable hurry up situations) and nobody should need to hot route more than a single receiver or two on any given play. If you feel the need to reinvent a play at the line of scrimmage by hot routing 3-5 targets, then maybe you need to just audible out of that play or call a timeout and find the right play.
    • No Quick Snapping - Everyone should be well aware of this requirement by now. Please everyone make sure that you are giving the defense adequate time to set and make adjustments. You SHOULD NOT be regularly snapping the ball the moment (or a heartbeat after) your offense has set. Now this doesn't mean the defense should expect all the time in the world to make adjustments. If on defense you keep getting caught in pre-play adjustments, perhaps you need to simplify your adjustments.
    • Read Option - Read option plays can only be run with a "mobile" QB, regardless of whether the result of the play is a QB run or not. This rule was implemented following our first season and remains in effect.
    • Running Clock - By now everyone should have a pretty good grasp on their playbook and game plan. If you don't, hit the practice field. There is no reason that anyone should be running the play clock down on each and every play. Nothing saps the fun out of a game more than sitting there waiting for your opponent to call their plays for 30 seconds every down. It is even worse when you get to the line quick and it then takes 10-20 seconds for the offense to snap the ball. Call your play, make your adjustments, give the defense a couple of seconds, and snap the damn ball.
    • Run/Pass Ratio (mixing up play calling) - This one has many facets. Whether we are talking about calling the same plays repeatedly, or just the ratio of types of plays called, and it applies to both sides of the ball. Don't rely on the same 2 or 3 run plays for a whole drive, or repeatedly use the same pass patterns. Mix up whose running it or catching it, and how they are doing so. Dive into your playbook and learn to use all of it. You should never have to use the same offensive play more than 2-3 times in one game in most cases. Likewise with the types of plays to call. Generally we shouldn't see teams passing the ball 30+ times and running it less than 10 (or vice versa). On the same token, nobody should be running 2 man under and/or press coverage for 80% of their defensive snaps, or constantly stacking 8 men in the box on 1st and 2nd downs. Mix that shit up and learn to diversify your play calling.
    • Running Out of Spread Formations - There is nothing wrong with coming out in a 3 or 4 WR set and occasionally trying to catch the defense off guard with a run. But teams should not be running out of these "spread" formations more often than they are running out of traditional run formations. This also applies to formations where TEs are split out wide. Again while there is nothing wrong with doing so on occasion, to do so excessively is considered unsavory for our style league.
    • Passing Distribution and Slot Receivers - Simply put, we don't want to see anyone abusing the TE position, running backs, or slot receivers in the passing game. Also, the use of a team's #1 receiver in the slot should be used in extreme moderation, and only if it is called for in the original play design. For more on this topic, you can check out this thread: Passing Distribution & Sportsmanship
    • Sportsmanship & Common Courtesy - Included in the link above is a piece about good sportsmanship. While I don't feel like we have a widespread issue with it, it is worth mentioning. This one is easy. Wish your opponent good luck before the game, tell them good game afterwards, don't be a sore lose or a sore winner. Show respect to your fellow owners at all times. Now that doesn't mean that if there was an obvious issue or concern, you swallow your tongue. Game play concerns need to be addressed in order for things to improve. In such a case, Doug put together a great post on this matter: WHEN TO CONFRONT YOUR OPPONENT AND WHEN TO CONTACT THE COMMISSIONER
    • Unrealistic Stats - Basically we try to be as sim of a league as we can, but obviously this is a game and we are limited on some aspects. However, one area that is well in our control is the offensive stats. We need everyone to take accountability and show some self restraint when it comes to extraordinary stats. Whether it's guys trying to hit XP goals, or just not caring to diversify their play calling; we have definitely seen some instances that have given us cause for concern. Now we are not saying that players can't have big games, but sometimes there is a fine line between a big game and abusing the game, there may be times when you have to take your foot off the gas, so to speak, to avoid unrealistic stat circumstances. Just because it CAN be done, doesn't mean it SHOULD.
    • Kickoff Returns - Simply put, we don't expect to see the types of returns where the returner fields the ball, runs towards the mass of blockers and pursuers, and then after sucking the pursuers in, sprints towards the sideline (sometimes even running backwards) in an attempt to get to the sideline untouched. If you are unclear about or expectations, once again Doug posted a very informative piece on this topic: KICK RETURNS AND PARALLEL RUNNING
    • Depth Charts/Roster Requirements - I started going through depth charts this evening and stopped when I got to 15 different teams with at least one discrepancy. EVERYONE is responsible for making sure their teams meet roster requirements as well as depth chart requirements. This needs to be addressed by EVERY owner ASAP. NOTE: Most common depth chart issues were 3DRB & TE (no WRs allowed), and DEs playing LB or vice versa (no hybrids allowed)
      • ROSTER REQUIREMENTS
      • DEPTH CHART GUIDELINES
    Thank you all for your attention regarding these concerns.

Good luck to everyone in week 2!

~Jim

Avery (AveryB) - Steelers
    Brad (HogeB33) - Rams
    Carl T. (CTfromDC) - Bengals
    Charlie (KingPatron) – 49ers
    Chris (CSteud) - Packers
    Curtis (thafuture3886) - Colts
    Danny (DJDunn6) - Dolphins
    Dave (saintsdave75) - Texans
    Doug (CHUNKNESS) - Jaguars
    Eddie (pittrocks43) - Saints
    Glen (Glen Cieske) - Raiders
    Heath (heathh) - Lions
    James M. (cry_havoc) - Giants
    James Y. (Phenom) - Broncos
    Jeremy (Jeremy) - Buccaneers
    Jim (LtJustice) - Seahawks
    Jon (Warhawk AKA dreadman) - Redskins
    Josh (Josh Barnes) - Ravens
    Kenri (DarkKnight89) - Vikings
    Kris (Coach KO) - Eagles

Lawon (MrWitness36) - Falcons
    Loren (ThaBayouChef) - Titans
    Michael C. (KNICKSFAN_84) - Chargers
    Michael O. (Michael Overman) - Sentinels
    Mike A. (Miki1369) - Cardinals
    Moe (CaptMoe) - Cowboys
    Murad (smokeface) - Patriots
    Pope (dablakpope) - Browns

Reis (Mugga) - Panthers
    Ryan (RVallee) - Bears
    T.J. (klaximilian) - Jets
    Troy (redlishus) - Chiefs

PLEASE BE SURE TO REVIEW THIS ENTIRE POST. REVIEW AND RESPONSE IS MANDATORY!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  2. redlishus

redlishus PMFL Staff - El Guesser

Agree

• Like Like x 1
  3. DJDunn6

DJDunn6 Walk On

Agree

• Like Like x 1
  4. AveryB

AveryB Walk On

(y)(y)(y)

• Like Like x 1
  5. ThaBayouChef

ThaBayouChef Walk On

10-4

• Like Like x 1
  6. CaptMoe

CaptMoe Walk On

Reviewed. Biggest issue I've encountered, not this season so far, is press coverage on just about every down.
    Don't understand it since it's clearly addressed in the rules. Maybe guys don't realize that some of the plays you call are already in press without you manually putting the CBs in press?

• Like Like x 4
  7. thafuture3886

thafuture3886 Power Rankings Analyst

Agreed

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

Understood

• Like Like x 1
  9. HogeB33

HogeB33 Walk On

Agreed.

• Like Like x 1
  10. dablakpope

dablakpope Walk On

Read, agree and no comments.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Coach KO

Coach KO Walk On

12. Coach KO

Coach KO Walk On

One Comment. The QB depth Chart. I think you should not allow P, K in the 3rd slot on QB. If you have to have three QBs, no reason a Punter or Kicker should be listed at 3. (due to the injury glitch)

• Like Like x 3
  13. Miki1369

Miki1369 Walk On

agreed

• Like Like x 1
  14. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

Great post Jim. (y)

I, too, have seen a good majority of press coverage. Like you said, some of it may be due in part to the defensive plays automatically implementing press coverage at the line. However, guys should be mixing up their defense as well. If it is an issue, bring it to your opponent's attention following the game and let Jim know. Sometimes guys don't even recognize that they've done it until it is brought to their attention.

Jim, I agree with Kris on this one. Allowing P or K at the 3rd QB slot may defeat the purpose of the 3 QB requirement as a result of the injury glitch. LtJustice

• Like Like x 1
  15. Michael Overman

Michael Overman Walk On

Read and Agreed

Liked the mentioning of moderation on hot routes and making audibles ...really like the word moderation used with almost all aspects lol

(y)

• Like Like x 2
  16. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

I think most of these should be fairly common knowledge as a prerequisite to join entry into the league as they practically define sim play. However I can see the need to remind us every now and then that RO plays can be only ran by mobile QBs, and that we should avoid abusing the slot/TE position, both a product of this year's release rather than general Madden play. I still see some of that, but it's more forgivable than breaking some of the much older cornerstone rules of the league like bouncing outside all the time, lack of variety in play calling, or disrespecting your opponent. I've seen some quick snapping a little more than usual, especially when the defense is still setting/resetting. That's a little disappointing.

I don't need to wait for anyone to call me out to know that I am one who runs a lot press coverage. That said, it's a product of the 46 defense which is meant to be a pressure front, and the CBs automatically are aligned that way. I typically use press rarely outside of those base formations. I will make a conscious effort to pull them off press coverage a bit more to stay on the safe side, although I don't think my usage is close to being abusive. I don't think anyone has said anything about it yet, but I'd like to adhere to the rules as best as possible.

Also, I hot route my RB to block quite a bit when I see a weak side rush or potential blitz...which may be interpreted as hot routing my WRs. Is this OK?

Read and agreed. Now let me get back to pretending to work on this glorious Friday. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  17. ThaBayouChef

ThaBayouChef Walk On

I shift my line on almost every play. Not even sure what it does to the line, just a subconcious move I make no matter what. (This also may be why I suck ass so much in this game). That isn't hot routes or anything though, so that is aceptable correct? People may think I'm using hot rotue when I do so though because of the QB. But most the time if you call a HR he steps back from center, line shifting he never does. So.

18. Warhawk AKA dreadman

Warhawk AKA dreadman Walk On

agreed

• Like Like x 1
  19. heathh

heathh Walk On

Read and understand.

Another note that I've seen lately.

I see a lot of people running drags from Slot Receivers multiple times.

• Like Like x 1
  20. LtJustice

LtJustice QSF Commissioner

Absolutely! I originally made that depth chart list prior to the 3rd QB rule being implemented and have been just copying the work since. Definitely an over site and I have corrected it, thanks for catching it! The good news is that I believe everyone is already in compliance with having just QBs in their QB depth chart, as of last night. (y)

• Like Like x 2
  21. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

My guess is that it takes the place of slants, which people won't do from the slot position when defense are constantly dropping their LBs into a short zone.

It really is a two way street...

22. CTfromDC

CTfromDC Where my money?

understood

• Like Like x 1
  23. Coach KO

Coach KO Walk On

The issue is if you call any zone defense, the LBs typically drop in short zones. Peeps complain that man coverage can be overpowering so I see the issue. I know one thing that can cause problems with it but I dont call BNR very often or at all. Any and mostly all BNR i run is because of cover two (or when the CPU presses automatically)

24. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

read and agreed to all

• Like Like x 1
  25. Phenom

Phenom Walk On

Re-read and understood.

• Like Like x 1
  26. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

Perhaps. I'm not complaining about zoned LBers, rather I'm just acknowledging that using the drag is one of the many ways to beat it. I'm sure that's got something to do with seeing excessive use of it, as some may not know another way around zones LBers.