Manual vs Semi Manual for MLS

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by weeman11, Feb 24, 2012.

1. weeman11

weeman11 Walk On

I hope I am not stepping on any toes, and I dont want to cause waves in my first season here.
    But I completly missed the debate and discussion in the control settings debate for the MLS league.
    When I first signed up I thought it was a flip between semi or full manual.
    When I first came to this league ( which I am having a blast with BTW) I was an assisted controls whore. Playing semi was difficult at first but I practised and evovled. I do like playing it now and find that the regular pass button can now take the place of the thru pass button if used right.
    So I have been trying manual alot lately, offline and online (vs TFL members).
    What i have found is this, The game becomes much more difficult to play with a sense of futbol realism. I am a HUGE SIM player, anyone that has ever played me can attest to that. However the Maunal setting makes even the easy passes very difficult and screwy sometimes in the wworst situ. The requirement for strict and tight precision for passes and even more for shots (ESPECIALLY ouside the box!!) make the game alot harder and less forgiving of mistakes.
    Instead of being able to play 4,5,6, games a night I am tired after one. Your focus has to be very high (not just yourself hehehe).
    Alot of the times I see the pass or chip or lob i want to make, and if it is something that would hard on semi manual, it becomes almost impossible on manual (for me again).
    When I found the best love for manual tho is when I am playing with a 5 star team, with players that have 75+ in passing. then u can become very creative. But with the much lower level of MLS ablility it makes the game seem like a sunday morning kick around.
    Just so you guys know, regardless of what is used, manual or semi. I am in it till the end. To play as my Hometown TFC is a great pleasure for me(especialy with the gr8 info packs richuation has provided)(y)
    I just wanted to voice my 2 cents and see the feedback

2. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

I disagree totally (no offense) and feel that this is the most realistic soccer the game offers. Long passes are no longer magically morphed to players feet. You make mistakes when pressure is present, and have to focus and scan the field in order to complete passes.

I feel that Manual opens up the game and makes it extremely more fun (in my opinion). You just have to consciously think about what you are doing constantly instead of letting the cpu do it for you.

It does take a learning curve to figure some stuff out. But I love the game played on manual.

3. weeman11

weeman11 Walk On

even before I read the thread, i knew u would take the other side.
    I do agree that it will close out alot of the looong ball only play that some guys ascribe to.
    However playing manual with low rated players means that the amount of mis-played balls will be extremly high.
    And lets be honest, shooting from outside the box and hitting the net will be very dfficult.

4. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

As it should be (again, IMO) my friend.

5. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

Let me teach you how to dougie...

6. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

once again knight adding quality to the discussion

• Like Like x 4
  7. Dylema

Dylema Walk On

I play more long balls in manual games. I have more control to play one inside the fullback on the ground or put a lob to the corner for my wing to track down. As for long distance shooting I think it's hard to hit a curler when you cut in but it's not that hard to hit the target from deep if you have time and space.

8. KnightNoles

This thread was inevitable from the beginning though... Someone was going to make the post and say something of this nature, I know it can be difficult for some people to make the switch and switch back and forth.. You just have to take your time and be a little bit more precise on your controller, plus it slows the game down to more of a real life feel and i think the scoring will also be down

9. Dylema

Dylema Walk On

I have had a couple 3-3 games so far. So you can still get a shoot out with manual.

10. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

Inevitable, perhaps. Your post being irrelevant, definitely.

• Like Like x 1
  11. KnightNoles

thanks man, thanks... I wasn't going to say but I have scored 3 goals in about every game besides facing Rich. It is just more satisfying then scoring in black/red league

12. KnightNoles

I was just saying, let me teach you how to play ;)

in rap lyrics

13. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

Cool, whereas I will teach you how to engage conversation like an adult. (smiley face)

14. KnightNoles

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  15. weeman11

weeman11 Walk On

I think this is the best advice, take time and more precision. I have really tried hard to play manual, it is difficult where my brain is already looking ahead to the 2nd or 3rd move ahead, and the slightest varience to my aim sends the ball away from the intended target. be

What if the the default settings were on manual, but if the 2 players playing prefered semi? would that allowed?

I know I havent put as much time in on manual like my buddy hammerhead, but it just seems like a high degree of difficulty to make medium level passes. I love switching the ball from side to side with my Dmen, to change the angle of attack. I tried several times and my non-pressured crosses to a wide open man, went wildly away.

Again, regardless of the control scheme I plan on playing with my red shirts ( I JUST WISH THE IDIOTS NEVER TRADED DeRo).

I do wish we could change the level of cpu dificulty on the gameplay , right now it is on amatuer.

Thanks for all your feedback

16. Dylema

Dylema Walk On

I've scored more in the presason tourny for this then I have in the PL Red season so far.

17. KnightNoles

:eek:

18. Dylema

Dylema Walk On

It may be an exaggeration but I only have 9 goals in 9 or 10 matches. I'm pretty sure I'm cursed this season for some reason.

19. GovernedSpy

GovernedSpy Walk On

the whole point of manual is the difficulty and time it takes to learn and improve it is very much more rewarding than assisted or semi

the comment about low rated teams being harder to pass and score goals etc well thats realism for you :)

• Like Like x 2
  20. The Richuation

The Richuation Walk On

Agreed, scoring has that sense of accomplishment again.

21. The Richuation

The Richuation Walk On

Originally it was semi, with the door opened to manual. That door was kicked down, and I believe manual has pulled people back into the game even more.

22. weeman11

weeman11 Walk On

IF anyone catches me on LIVE, pls hit me up for a MLS game on manual.

I thought there would be more people lookin toward semi, boy was I mistaken.

Looks like I better start brushing up on manual

23. The Richuation

The Richuation Walk On

And your not stepping on toes.... We had this convo over live the other day. Input here is encouraged. I'm just trying to create the best sim experience we can while giving the base what they want. I think we are headed in the right direction.

• Like Like x 4
  24. Selvy9

Selvy9 Walk On

Sorry I'm a little late to your defense, I posted somewhere around here about preferring semi, but it does feel that we are in the minority, so life goes on and we'll learn how to manual. I get that it's more "realistic" and that's great and all, but would you rather watch a Barca-Madrid game or Toronto-Montreal? Personally, I'd enjoy watching the better soccer, just as I'd prefer to play a more exciting style on FIFA that just doesn't seem to be possible with MLS teams on manual. Especially when you play against people that just set it to ultra attacking and hold down the contain+2nd player contain buttons until they get the ball back (which is hardly realistic soccer, yet it happens all the time on FIFA). That kind of defensive "pressure" on manual with low talent players, you're going to end up with a 40% pass success rate, which I've had, and I like to think I'm at least a little better than that. My first 3 games in the preseason tournament were 1-1, 1-1, 1-0... including a game I had 21 shots on goal, 4 on target...

I could go on but I know the league is going manual and I've accepted it, lol.

25. weeman11

weeman11 Walk On

Acceptence. Isnt that the 5th step?