Mariners acquire whoville resident Jack Wilson

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by Hellisan, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Mariners acquire whoville resident Jack Wilson

The Mariners love to deal potential mashers that haven't had adequate time to prove themselves in the big leagues. The latest is Jeff Clement. You almost can't find an article about Clement that doesn't mention his light-tower power. And he's just MASHING it in AAA.

The Mariners M.O. with these guys is as follows: Watch them dominate in AAA. Call them up to the big leagues. If they fail after 150 AB, trade them to a team that will give them real time to develop.

So they deal Clement to Pittsburgh for Whoville resident Jack wilson and Ian Snell, the pitching version of Khalil Greene (Snell has admittedly dominated AAA but reportedly didn't want to go back to the big leagues? lolol).

Yikes, we screw up again.... I think. With the new GM, I have a lot more faith than I did before, though. I gotta cross my fingers and hope this works out. But there aren't many left-handed bats like Clement out there.

2. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Isnt Clement a catcher or he was a cathcer? If so they screwed the pooch already by giving Kenji Johjima or whatever a fat deal. So they had no place in the bigs for this kid. STUPID! (n)

The M's are lame and making this deal is just the most recent sign of that.

3. RaveDown

RaveDown Get Worked

Not only does Clement have power, but he also gets OB. When I saw the trade on the ESPN scroll it said Clement 1B. Even if he is not a good catcher and has to be moved to 1B, his numbers will be good for a first baseman. Like Hellisan said, he just needs to time and he's ready.

So the Mariners give up their future 1B (or he could be starting for them) for a SS that can't hit for average, power or steal bases. IDK how good he is at defense. He had one decent year hitting, got a fat contract and then came back to earth. I think he's a free agent after this year so it's not like they ended up trading one overpaid SS away and then getting stuck with another one. Snell has not pitched good in a couple years. They are trading on potential with Snell, in which it seems like he's regressing.

Things are looking good for the M's. Winning record, Beltre and Sexton contracts will be off the books next year and they managed to trade Bentancourt and not have to eat any of his salary. Not a good trade and would be royally pissed if my team made this trade, but it's still looking good for Seattle.

4. ChickenOfTheSea

ChickenOfTheSea TMFL Goat Herder

I think they are hoping for Snell to do a 180 and get back on his meds and play to his potential., and get a .250-270ish hitting SS who can play a couple years.

after trading Yuni, you knew that Cedano was a bust, so they get Cedano's glove with a better average in WIlson.

I 'm not in love with the trade, but i'd sure rather see Zuirenzich (sp who can spell that) do something, anything, than Buvasii (sp again) do NOTHING over and over.

I like Clements bat, but he wants to be a catcher. and thats not going to happen here. he has not shown the same catching prowess that Rob Johnson has. Unless somethign changes a lot, Johnson is your catcher with kenji for the forseable future. until Kenji's contract is up then i think Johnson stays your catcher. Hes a lot like a Molina @ catcher, never gonna hit for a ton but makes your staff so much better.

I think Johnson is a huge part of Washburns and Felix's seasons, especially Washburn who was "wash"ed up coming into this year.

5. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Go Rangers.

6. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

Go Astros....NOT(n)

7. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I got good news yesterday when I was listening to some sports radio in Seattle on my blackberry.

Snell was PISSED at the Pirates, not afraid of pitching in the bigs. That makes me happier... Kinda. He's a nutcase instead of a basketcase... Little better.

8. ChickenOfTheSea

ChickenOfTheSea TMFL Goat Herder

Yeah KJR had a guy from MLB.com on Seth everett who used to be a local reporter, and he was saying something to the effect that a member of Pirates Management accidentally let it slip in an interview that they regretted giving Snell an extension.

Not surprisingly Snell didnt appreciate this and wasnt shy about sharing that.

Also at point in time he threatened to "Kill an opposing player" who he felt was stealing signs.

Probably not the guy you want to tell the media you were unhappy that you resigned.

I think he just needs a new home and he will be the next Zack Grienkie

9. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    And then they trade washburn... I was confused if they were buying or selling until then.

10. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I think the new guy doesn't really look at it as buying/selling so much as making good deals for the club. I really like/respect what he's done so far, though I do worry about Clement. Wouldn't be surprised to see Clement finish with 20 HR if they promote him... he's got that much pop.

11. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

20 hr? in 2 months? so seattle just traded away a 50 hr hitter? for jack wilson?

12. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

well, I'm worried that they might have.

13. RaveDown

RaveDown Get Worked

LoL...No, they did. He might not hit 50 HRs but you can bet he'll be able to hit a steady 30 plus he will have a good OBP. This trade even looks more crappy with the fact that they traded Washburn today for two prospects with the best one being in A ball. Trade away future 1B for a decent SS for this year plus Snelling, and then you go and trade your 2nd/3rd starter the next, huh??