Marlins Presser

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Diddy81, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Jul 11, 2009
    Marlins Presser

Coach, Nice start to the season. Did the Dan Uggla trade have anything to do with the strained relationship with Hanley Rameriz?

How have the new additions to your roster inpacted the team?

What will it take to stay near the top of the standings in the NL?
  2. Jam.

Jam. FIU; Sun Belt Champions!

Oct 30, 2009
    As a manager and GM, my personal policy is to "leave no stone unturned". In other words, I will listen to any trade offer, regardless of the players requested from my team. The Dan Uggla trade was not influenced by his relationship with anyone else on the are played on the field, not the locker room.

When the White Sox expressed interest in Dan Uggla, I felt that for the the best interest of the ballclub we should look to add an outfielder and a great relief guy to solidify our bullpen. By trading Dan Uggla we were able to add both. Juan Pierre is the perfect leadoff man, and Bobby Jenks has 2 saves and a win this season.

Having Pierre at the top of the lineup is a huge addition to this team. He has been batting around .500 all season and is at the top of the league in strikeouts. We have been really impressed with his play and couldn't be happier about the return we got for Dan Uggla.

Bobby Jenks has been solid in the pen all year, he was the all-star caliber closer that we so depserately needed so we could move former closer Leo Nunez to the set up role. This 1-2 punch of Nunez and Jenks is a great due that no team is looking forward to. We feel that if we have the lead going into the 8th inning, it's basically game over.

C.J. Wilson has been disappointing in the teal and black this season, and I'm here to say that the Marlins have indeed been speaking to the Braves about moving Wilson for another pitcher. That's all the information I will disclose on that.

Ryan Garko was brought in for his bat, and he's been producing at the plate this season. We have spoken many times to him about correcting his fielding errors, but it's an ongoing process. We are not pleased with how he fields, as we expected him to lock down first base when we acquired him.

Good hitting, and good luck. I feel like we're on a good track right now, but we need to come through more in clutch situations. I feel like we strand too many runners in scoring position, because when the blood starts rushing our players tend to swing at bad pitches. I have been stressing to our hitting coach to correct this.