Matchup: Mich. State vs. U. of Washington

Discussion in 'The Tradition' started by Hellisan, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Matchup: Mich. State vs. U. of Washington

[​IMG]
    BCS National Championshp Game Preview

[​IMG]

VERSUS

[​IMG]

Washington faces Michigan State for the Season 2 Championship. There are a few woulda, coulda (and shoulda) teams out there, but there are only two teams who have been called to play in the BCS title game. Since the "right" teams haven't made it to the title game, there's a very real possibility of this season coming to an unceremonious end. Fuck that shit. :D

We have a pair of B-rated teams, with MSU having an edge on offense (on paper) and the Huskies having an edge on defense (on paper). Both of these teams are able to convert middle-of-the-pack yardage totals into elite points per game thanks to defenses that score touchdowns, converting in the red zone, taking care of the foosball.

Code:
    Rankings            MSU           WASH

Record              11-1          11-1
    Overall             B             B
    Offense             B+            B
    Defense             B-            B+
    Point per Game      39.2 (#6)     40.3 (#4)
    Total Offense       4999 (#22)    5234 (#14) 
    Rush Offense        1453 (#57)    1482 (#53)
    Pass Offense        3546 (#16)    3752 (#11)
    Total Defense       3265 (#12)    3698 (#34)
    Rush Defense        972  (#11)    842  (#4)
    Pass Defense        2293 (#22)    2856 (#83)
    Turnover Diff       8    (#19)    7    (#22)

[​IMG]Michigan State has clearly been one of the best defensive teams in the nation this season. The fact that they've only allowed 2293 yards while facing the types of teams they have faced is very impressive, and definitely worries the Huskies because they have a young QB in Nick Montana who is prone to making mistakes en masse. Also worrisome is the fact that the Huskies really struggle to find a running game in general. The Huskies do not have a rusher over 1,000 yards. They need to block well but at the same time make a big effort not to turn it over early on. Overall, Michigan State has given up 18.03 points per game, while causing 12 fumbles and 11 interceptions.

[​IMG] The Huskies have given up some yards, especially through the air, but also have a strong point defending the run. Defensive tackle Alameda Ta'amu (6'3" 350, 90 OVR) has taken up a lot of space and has put up great stats this season. He and MLB Kurt Mangum have made play after play for the Huskies and came away with a nice haul in the awards ceremonies. The Huskies have forced 13 fumbles and 20 interceptions, and have held the opposition to 19.58 points per game.

On offense these are two teams that are not looking to wow people with anything but the final result, win the game.

[​IMG]Michigan State does a better job of taking care of the ball with a senior QB who really knows what he is doing in Kirk Cousins (89 OVR, 3,496 yards, 65.1% completion percentage, 28 TD, 13 INT). The duo of Larry Caper and Edwin Baker have gained the vast majority of MSU's yards on the ground this season. Neither are burners but Baker has a lot more quicks while Caper is a pure power back. The Spartans have a pair of reliable senior wideouts and mix that in with speedy youth. They will look to get good matchups in one-on-one situations. Their TE Brian Linthicum has been used to help move the chains as well. They have a solid-average offensive line for a big conference, nothing special. This is an offense that is a lot more than the sum of their parts.

[​IMG] Due to Nick Montana's better feet and throwing accuracy, he was given the nod over the older Keith Price, but in games where Montana has struggled, Coach Hellisan has been quick with the hook. However, Montana has held up for the most part, throwing for 3,308 yards with a 62.9% completion rate and 24 TD's against 16 INT's. Most of his problems come when he's hit and throws a floater, but he has also made bad reads at times. The Huskies running game consists of the reliable Chris Polk and the youngster Deontae Cooper, both of which can hurt you but rarely dominate. Jermaine Kearse is the Huskies main weapon through the air, as the 6'2" senior has 70 receptions for 1,197 yards and 12 touchdowns, dropping just two balls. There are complimenatary guys abounding, however. The Huskies have a pair of excellent offensive linemen but overall the line is similar to MSU's not dominant.

Should be a good one!

Picks please?

2. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
    Who cares!

3. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

4. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

LOL....going to take a while for hotrod to get over this one.

Anyway.....this one is easy.

Washington are in my book 7.5 point favorites over Michigan State. Michigan State had a big win versus over rated Wisconsin without John Clay. IMO that game doesn't help Michigan's State image....it only helped in the BCS Formula. Nobody on MSU really scares you.

Bottom line is this game does not come down to which team has more talent it is who is the better coach. IMO Hellisan is the better coach and thats why he will win. This will be Coach Clark's fastest Title and further throwing out his theory that he needs 6 months to learn the game.

Small fact....Coach Helli is 4-1 in title games. Good luck Coleman. You are going to have to play a near perfect game and need a key turnover in the 4th quarter to take Washington down. Can I see MSU up by 17 at one point, Yes I can, but that doesn't mean you will win.

The lack of casting this USER Title game saddens me but I will be watching my xbox live screen like the super nerd I am!

Good luck guys and i pray for no discos!

5. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Actually just to correct you, I believe I have lost one title game to Rusty. But the memory fails me sometimes. Thanks for the prediction.

6. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

I will try and look this up!

7. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Yeah I'm gonna say I've lost AT LEAST one ... lol

8. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

National Champions
    Season User Team National Title Game
    1 Mogriffjr Georgia Tech 55-37 over Wisconsin 37 (CPU)
    2 Juggalo45 Miami 51-7 over Texas (CPU)
    3 Bruce80 Tennessee ??? over Georgia (Hellisan)
    4 Bruce80 Tennessee 70-7 over USF (CPU)
    5 Mogriffjr Georgia Tech ???
    6 Bruce80 Tennessee 47-41 over VTECH (jms493)
    7 Hellisan Georgia 32-12 over VTECH (jms493)
    8 jfosh Alabama 26-12 over VTECH (jms493)
    9 --- --- ---

Looks like you did lose to rusty last season. Did you win season 9?

You won 3 in a row with Purdue, 1 vs mogriff, 1 vs Rusty and 1 vs CPU 62-3 (Ole Miss) (seasons 7-9)

9. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

The odds are stacked against the Spartans in this one, in fact they are lucky to even be in the game (thanks JMS;)). These two teams on paper are nearly identical, but the difference will be the experience differential between the two coaches. Coach Hellisan is tried and true in big match ups, winning more titles than most coaches get to play for. Whereas Colemanchu is known for one thing, choking his ass off.

Though the Huskies have the ability to blow out the Spartans, I believe the only way we win is buy going shot for shot with them and hoping that we have the ball in our hands with a chance to win late. It will be a tough task, but we've been handed many beatings in this league and are not afraid to risk receiving another.

Prediction: HotRod will still be pissed tomorrow.

10. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Oh I did get a freebie... lmao. I always thought all my titles were user wins.

Nah only won that one title with Gawga

11. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I chortled.

Yeah but that's what happens when you get screwed out of a real life national title. uh... wait.