Matchups of the Week

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by H22APWRD94, Dec 11, 2010.

1. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

In this thread, I will post the key matchups in user and CPU games each week. This will give us an idea of what is at stake each week as we move forward in the season.

Mike

2. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

Week #3

In week #3, we have three huge user matchups. Two have direct effect on the standings of the Big10/Pac10 Challenge, and the other is the first Pac10 conference game of the season.

Game #1 - In a rematch of last seasons BCS National Championship Game, the Iowa Hawkeyes will host the Trojans of USC. In the game of games last season, USC came out the victor, but Iowa didn't leave without a fight. This season, the outcome may end up the same, but the journey will definitely be different.

On Iowa's side of the ball, Ricky Stanzi has graduated. And along with him, DJK, Alan Reisner, Colin Sandeman and Paul Chaney. Basically 90% of Iowa's passing attack from last season. But that really does not matter anymore. Because Iowa may very well have the best backfield in the nation. Along with returning starter Adam Robinson, Jewel Hampton is also back from last season. Hampton and Robinson combined for over 1500 yards and 20 touchdowns. Add to the mix Brandon Wegher, fresh off of his redshirt season, and you end up with a three headed beast that rivals the chimera. The running game has amassed almost 500 yards through the first two games, gaining an average of 6.4 yards per carry and scoring 6 times. The Iowa passing game falls squarely on the shoulders of first year starter James Vandenberg. Vandenberg has been erratic in his first two starts, completing 30 of 53 pass attempts, for 2 touchdowns, but also 5 interceptions. That won't cut it, especially in tight games. The defense has been mediocre. The defensive line is not what it was a season ago, but when you graduate three all Big 10 selections on the defensive line, that may have something to do with it. The linebackers have been doing their job well, but with the line getting eaten up, it puts a lot on them to make plays.

On USC's side of the ball, veteran Matt Barkley is running the show. Barkley has grown up since being thrown into the fire as a freshman. He has some talent to throw to at WR as well. Robert Woods and Markieth Ambles are doing some damage for him, as well as the lanky Brice Butler. The real story though is the other man in the backfield. And I am talking about Marc Tyler. He is the real deal. 5'11", 231 lbs, he is a bruiser. Speedy, agile, smart, the only thing he can't do well is pass block, but when you are running well, you don't need to be able to block as a back on play action. With this deadly 1-2 punch, USC will be putting up points this season. On defense, there has been something lost to graduation, but not much. At USC, you don't rebuild, you reload. Next man up. That means, one guy left last year, and the guy coming in to replace him is just as good. I personally would love more playing time in my career, but when you are winning national championships, there probably isn't much complaining.

This game will come down to who can move the ball on the ground. Iowa was blatantly stopped on the ground in the BCS game last season. If they wish to control this game, they will need a big effort out of their trident. They can't let Vandenberg be the savior. He won't be able to do it. On the USC side, they pretty much had their way with the Iowa secondary. Look for that to continue this time around as the front four of Iowa looks to be undermanned and could not get to opposing QB's the first two games of the season.

My prediction - Iowa 17 - USC 27

3. onaradio34

onaradio34 Tryin not to show how little I know bout anything

I'm going with my Big 10 brother Iowa for the upset. Tuco hasn't lost in like 15 games. It's way too much to ask for someone to continue a streak like that. Throw in the fact that H22 has a recent game against him as well and may be the best game plan mind in the OD, I'm thinking 23-17.

Nice analysis, man.