Mayock's Mock (2013)

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by I Peench, Oct 19, 2012.

1. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

Mayock's Mock: 2013
    [​IMG]

Good afternoon, folks! NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock here with my annual mock draft. Enjoy the read, and I'll see all of you Monday morning when this mock proves yet again that the NFL Draft is the hardest thing to predict!

[​IMG]

1. Philadelphia Eagles--QB Jonathon Hendrix, Texas A&M.
    The Nick Foles era in Philadelphia was transitory. There is simply no way Coach MartyWebb can pass up on a franchise quarterback like Hendrix, particularly when their passing attack ranked towards the bottom of the league. Possessing an elite arm and veretan-like poise, Hendrix has the ability to be special.

2. Tampa Bay Bucaneers--OT Adrian Freeman, Clemson.
    Freeman will shift over to ever important RT spot (in Madden, of course). Though he held down the left side in college, he has the size and strength to be a dominant pass blocker. Coach Bondzai had a miserable passing attack this past year, giving the OTHER Freeman time will help substantially.

3. Cleveland Browns--QB Stacey Knight, Cincinatti.
    Coach Shaun Mason will cringe when he sees Hendrix go 1, and will have to settle for Knight. While the upside is certainly there, Knight is a turnover machine. Irrespective of the boom/bust potential, the Brandon Weeden era is over in Cleveland. Knight gets to stay in Ohio, as he looks to avoid being the next Tim Couch.

4. Indianapolis Colts--WR Marcus Barbour, Notre Dame.
    ZCar352 is desperate for relief on the offensive line, but with Freeman gone, there is simply nobody worth this high of a pick. If they don’t trade down, I can’t see them passing on Barbour. Reggie Wayne is aging, and Andrew Luck needs some playmakers

5. Green Bay Packers--HB Linval Shinhoster, Penn State.
    The Packers struggled to find any consistency in the running attack. With Cedric Benson gone, this move makes a whole lot of sense for Coach Masler. Shinhoster has gamebreaking speed, great vision, and tremendous balance.

6. Denver Broncos--CB Khris Curtis, UCLA.
    Curtis is an elite corner with great hips, speed, and ball skills. Danthraxxx desperately need to infuse their secondary with some youth, and this kid will be a great mentee to Champ Bailey.

7. St. Louis Rams (via Redskins)--OLB Adrian Davis, Virginia Tech.
    The Rams desperately need some help at OLB. Davis is an absolute stud, though he does need to improve on his coverage skills to succeed at the next level. Coach Matrix Monkey can't afford to pass up on Davis here.

8. Arizona Cardinals--OT Randall Purcell, Pitt.
    Bobby Massie isn’t getting the job done, and TEClemson53 needs to protect whoever is going to throw the ball for them. I’ve expressed concern over Purcell’s size. At a mere 6’2, he doesn’t have the arm length and leverage of most elite tackles. He flat out produced in college, so it’ll be interesting to see how that translates on Sundays.

9. Oakland Raiders--CB Ben Noel, California.
    Very athletic kid who has exceptional speed and burst. He is a big play waiting to happen, but tends to squat too much out of his backpedal. While he got away with it in college, he won’t moving forward. Big Suge Knight is extremely weak at corner, so Noel will be a day 1 starter for the black and silver.

10. San Diego Chargers--WR Brian General, Michigan State.
    Big kid who gets in and out of his breaks with fluidity. Deceptively quick and is lethal in the red-zone. San Diego’s replacement for Vincent Jackson, and a much welcomed aid for Phillip Rivers and Coach Cheez. Though Coach hasn't been known to air it out, I think he needs to find more balance in his attack in order to dethrone the Chiefs out west.

11. New England Patriots--DE Alex Vickery, Texas.
    Ridiculous that this kid drops this far, but he will. Vickery is number one on my big board, and is a steal at 11. He has a huge frame, long arms, and plays with great bend off the edge. Explosive athlete who can rush the passer with explosive hands and strength, and also great at deflecting passes. A big pickup for Philstyle3005, who will be moving to the 43 this season.

12. Buffalo Bills--DE Rashad Middleton, Georgia Tech.
    Keller has made it clear that he is taking the best player available. If that is indeed the case, Middleton has to be the pick here. Middleton is a bit raw, but has tremendous athleticism burst off the edge. Teaming up with Mario Williams, this pass rush could get serious in a hurry.

13. New York Jets--DT Bubba McCoy, Texas Tech.
    While Jet fans may scratch their heads at this selection, Sione Pouha is 34 years old. Bubba is merely too elite for SimFBallCritic to pass on, and can move outside in the 34 until Pouha retires. New York’s front three would become formidable: Wilkerson, Pouha, McCoy.

14. Seattle Seahawks--OG Elliot Harrison, Texas.
    WE all know Coach JFace907 loves to pound the rock, and has the tailback to do so effectively. Deuce Lutui is a huge liability at RG, and Harrison should instantly upgrade the running attack as a day 1 starter.

15. Chicago Bears--DT Jay Williams, BYU.
    Coach Dru50 has made it pretty clear that he has struggled stopping the run. Williams is a perfect fit for their defense, and is arguably as good as McCoy. I believe the Bears would be thrilled to pick up Williams at this spot.

16. Jacksonville Jaguars--CB Manny Boyd, USC.
    Boyd is an exceptional athlete with lockdown coverage skills. After losing out on Derek Cox, the Jags have no choice but to grab a corner at this spot. I’m sure Coach Gyrene76 is a bit disappointed he can’t pick up his TE here, but Boyd's play won't allow for any second guessing.

17. Pittsburgh Steelers--MLB RT Clofer, Georgia.
    Clofer fills an immediate need for PAgamer07, and should combine with Lawrence Timmons to bring some strength back to that steel curtain. Clofer is a big, strong kid who plays downhill and has good range from sideline to sideline.

18. Dallas Cowboys--FS Phillip Vinson, Oklahoma.
    Vinson is a as good of a safety as you’ll find in any draft, which has many wondering how he fell this far to begin with. Coach sawemoff doesn’t mind all that much, and might consider moving Sensabaugh to SS so that this kid can play immediately

19. Carolina Panthers--WR Jamarious Brown, Arizona State.
    Steve Smith gone leaves the Panther’s front office a bit rattled. The unexpected departure leaves Carolina with no choice but to select the best WR available at this spot, Jamarious Brown. Coach fuzzyl0gic should mold him into a quality starter.

20. St. Louis Rams--WR Josh Jordan, West Virginia.
    Matrix Monkey and the Rams are young at WR, but it’s safe to say they are still looking for an elite talent to claim that #1 spot. Jordan is quick and an excellent route runner, but many question whether or not he is merely the product of a good system that allowed him to produce at WVU.

21. Miami Dolphins--FS Jamari Curtis, UCLA.
    Jamari Curtis made a seemingly mind boggling move lately, as he switched positions from CB to FS. The move shocked many, as it appears he is looking to find his own identity and escape the shadow of his twin CB Khris. Needless to say, Jamari is an exceptional athlete with great coverage skills, but will need to work on his pursuit skills and tackling ability if he wants to succeed in the NFL. No chance Coach LSUTRUTH lets this guy slide past him.

22. Houston Texans--DT Mike Mays, Pittsburgh.
    The Texans have moved to a 43, leaving them short on DT depth. Mays is a bit big for the 43, but his strength, size, and ability to shed blocks make him just too good for Gravity to pass up on at this point.

23. San Francisco 49ers--C Dom Kenner, Kansas State.
    Jonathon Goodwin is both mediocre and old. Kenner was a highly productive kid who plays with great leverage and strength at the point of attack. High football IQ will help him QB the future San Francisco line for Coach JohnnyClutch.

24. Atlanta Falcons--TE Connor Reeson, Clemson.
    Atlanta currently has only one TE on their roster, the ageless wonder Tony Gonzalez. We all know that eventually Tony will hang ‘em up, as he’s still holding out hope for one more run at his first championship. Coach antcap24 grabs Reeson here as a successor to Gonzalez, and he’ll provide much needed depth this year as well.

25. Cincinnati Bengals--RG Joseph Owusu, NC State.
    Much has been made about Owusu’s recent slide down draft boards after a disappointing senior season. Still, the Bengals need to sure up the RG spot, as Kevin Zeitler has done nothing to impress coach Timpegoose. Owusu certainly has the skill set, but he needs to stop resting on the laurels of past years and get it together pronto.

26. Minnesota Vikings--MLB Evan Lockett, Nebraska.
    Coach Kasper will love having a Husker drop to him at a position of need. Lockett is a nasty, fiery backer with great instincts and leadership ability. The Vikes are in dire need of a MLB, and Lockett is the perfect fit.

27. Tennessee Titans--CB Kevin Delgado, Clemson.
    Coach AzureEffect struggled this season stopping the pass, so Delgado makes a heck of a lot of sense here. He’s a big kid with good ball skills and coverage ability. Will probably see some time in the nickel year 1 before ascending to a starting position on the outside.

28. Detroit Lions--WR Lacy Kennedy, Michigan State.
    2nd MSU WR to come off the board, and I’m sure Coach HovaTheGodMC is giddy to get this kid. He’s big, strong, and very polished and smooth coming out of his breaks. He’s got great hands, and should complement Calvin very well.

29. Kansas City Chiefs--FS Darien Hall, Missouri.
    Who would’ve seen these guys picking 29 earlier this season? Ever since Coach Baron took the reins, the Chiefs were transformed into a playoff caliber team. Though they seem to have talented youth all over their roster, adding an athletic FS to patrol the back end with Eric Berry should take this defense to the next level.

30. New Orleans Saints--WR LaKieth Hill, Oklahoma State.
    Coach capp34 loves to air the ball out, but will need some help to take this team to the super bowl. Hill is an interesting kid with a lot of upside, but seems to be a bit of a gamble at this spot. Either way, the Saints need to take some pressure off of Colston, and Hill seems like the most capable here at 30.

31. Baltimore Ravens--OLB Trevor Henderson, North Carolina.
    The Ravens currently have no LOLB on their roster. Henderson will step in and start day one for Coach bawvu97, as the UNC product has excellent size and pass rushing ability. One of the next great Ravens linebackers here.

32. New York Giants--LG Chris Shade, Auburn.
    The Super Bowl champs don’t have too many needs, but they are far from perfect. The interior offensive line is one of those concerns, and Kevin Boothe just hasn’t been getting it done at LG. Though on paper he’s progressed nicely, that hasn’t translated to success on the field, as he continually gets beat by defensive lineman. Shade is a steady, strong kid who will boost the Giants ground game.

This concludes my 2013 Mock Draft. I can't wait for the first trade to undo all of my prognostications! Look for my Path to the Draft partner Charles Davis to release a mock shortly as well, as bragging rights will be on to see who has the most accurate mock!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
    • Like Like x 19
  2. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Interesting take on the Browns position.

3. Baron

Baron "I'm PFP's reckoning."

Insanely good content man.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I Peench

I was pretty torn on your pick. I know you've intimated that Hendrix is the only QB you'd take, but something tells me you just can't live another year with Weeden. I originally had you taking Vickery and Knight falling to the Jets. Who knows? :confused:

5. Baron

I've got money Shaun trades down and takes a guard. His guards were laughably awful in our game. If he stays put, he goes FS.

6. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    I run a 3-4.:) Vickery doesn't fit here in Cleveland. I will honestly say that I have no idea who I'd take. I've recently soured on Hendrix after going deep scouting him.

7. I Peench

Grab Bubba and put him at end

8. Baron

SMOKE SCREEN!

9. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Nothing to smoke screen. Hendrix is a marginal upgrade over Weeden (besides age) and I'm pretty certain he is going to Philly.

10. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Not sure I like his motor.

11. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

Good stuff Peench, that's the position I was looking at, I'm just not sure the talent is there. I'm not too high on Owusu. I think he'll end up slipping to the 2nd round honestly. As of right now I have no clue where I'm going either.

12. antcap24

antcap24 Walk On

Most likely will pass up on a TE in the 1st as Tony G came back. Ill probably look at LB or OL as a first option if some of the guy I want are there. If not, BPA.

13. TEClemson53

TEClemson53 Walk On

Nice analysis , I still have 0% idea of who or what I'm drafting

14. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

just make sure you sour on the guy I want lol

15. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

I have a good idea of who I'll be picking, assuming I don't trade down. I would be happy with any of about 10 guys and I'm betting on of them will make it to me in the first round.

16. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Good stuff man. I have identified the guy I really want in round 1 and am looking to move up to ensure I get him (if anyone ahead of me in round 1 wants to move down, let me know).

17. Baron

FS is a definite need for me. I kinda wish I'd scouted ANY WRs, but by the time I realized that even one injury to my WR corps is devastating (ala the AFC Champ game) I'd used up most of my time at other spots.

18. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

I think SHaun goes WR , can't keep Little as a #1 for much longer

19. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

I can honestly say I did not spend one minute of time scouting WR's this year. Are any of them any good?

20. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

I got the top 3 (IMO anyway) rated pretty high : General , Barbour , Brown ..... I bet all three would be #2's for most teams

21. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

I haven't look at all either. My only scouting thus far has been interior line and D.

22. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

Really scared who the CPU is going to pick for me. I've heavily scouted OL and WR. Watch it take a CB, my deepest position.

23. I Peench

Figure out your gamertag recover stuff

24. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

Saw and i tried. No dice.

25. JohnnyClutch

JohnnyClutch They only hear my truth

I'm in the same boat. Probably MLB instead of CB though.