"Medical Redshirt" Idea

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by Kasper, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

So more or less seeing what people think of this idea. With commish's having the ability to edit players (this is all based on my understanding that they can edit everything in OD's, for example class) why not edit players classes to institute a pseudo medical redshirt. You could base it off a league wide vote, or just use it at the commish's discretion.

This question came up though: "Wouldn't an extra year of eligibility make the player have an unfair advantage over everyone else?"

Sure it would, my answer to that would be watch the progression and simply demote any +'s that occur during that phase so he is the same as the year before. Hell, you could even edit other ratings below the original. ACL injury? Make that WR slower and not the same jumper. QB broken collarbone? maybe he isn't as accurate or as strong of an arm. You get the idea...

Thoughts?

• Like Like x 1
  2. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

Definitely an interesting concept. What qualifies for a medical redshirt in real life?

3. cnic75

cnic75 The Legacy

Medical Hardship Waiver

If a student-athlete suffers a season-ending injury or illness after competing in a limited amount of competition during a particular academic year, he/she may qualify for a medical hardship waiver which would allow him/her an additional season of competition during the five-year period of eligibility. To qualify for a medical hardship:

(a) the student-athlete’s injury or illness must occur in one of the four seasons of intercollegiate competition or subsequent to the first day of classes in the student-athlete’s senior year in high school;

(b) the injury or illness must occur prior to the completion of the first half of the playing season that concludes with the NCAA championship in that sport and must result in incapacity to compete for the remainder of that playing season; and

(c) the injury or illness must occur when the student-athlete has not participated in more than two contests/dates of competition or 20% of the institution’s scheduled contests/dates of competition in his/her sport (whichever number is greater).

4. ctvolfan

ctvolfan Vol for Life!!

I like the idea Kasper just need a clear set of rules on this as well as a committee/panel to vote on this issue if it were to occur. Would definitely make for some interesting decisions as recruiting/scholarship #'s go.

5. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Yeah, I figure it would be up to league members or just the commish as far as deciding.

6. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

Right now you can't do anything on the information page other than Name, Number, and Handedness... so... you wouldn't be able to do this anyway. =/ They're allowing you to change height/weight after the patch, but I'm not sure about the other stuff.

7. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

and so ends this discussion, thanks for the info killer.