Merger - Everyone please read and respond

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Keller, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Merger - Everyone please read and respond

So, very big news today and I need EVERYONE that wants to be apart of this league to read and respond. Everyone.

I've approached site administration with the idea of consolidating xbox Madden leagues in order to get 1 truly active, fully stocked Madden league. The obvious advantages are all of those that come along with having a full league. More owners, more PvP's, more fun.

There are, as you might guess, a lot of potential hurdles that go along with a merger.

1. Whos actual console file do we use or do we start fresh?
    2. Which offseason/roster management system do we use?
    3. Who gets first choice of team. League A or League B?
    4a. Is the league going to be Premiere or not?
    4b. If Premiere, how do you resolve the members who aren't that are apart of a good league already?
    4c. If not Premiere, how do you resolve the members who are Premiere who paid to play in Premiere leagues?

And thats just scratching the surface. There are obvious advantages and disadvantages. I need to know where you guys stand. I feel like I have a very good core group of guys here and I'm not about to leave you guys out in the cold. How do you guys feel about a merger and how do we answer all the questions?

Would you guys be willing to become Premiere members if the league had to become Premiere? (12$ for a year unless the price has changed)

I need to see your guys' opinions on everything before I start making decisions.

2. BadaBing319

BadaBing319 OMFL Broncos / PMFL Eagles

I have felt all along that this was the way to go with our Xbox Madden leagues, just never spoke up. We had two leagues that were running about half capacity - this creates one at full capacity. Great idea Keller.

My thoughts:
    1 & 2) Start fresh and consider using League Manager (http://myleaguemanager.net/) to manage the salary cap/free agency player management side of things. It's a great tool that I believe MEGA is starting to use as well. I would assume it would save everyone a ton of time without having to manage the salary cap spreadsheets which I'm sure can be a hassle for you and a ton of work once the off-season hits.

3) Have a complete rework of teams. Figure out the 32 owners you want involved and have them submit their top 3 team requests. Anyone with a unique #1 choice gets the team they want. From there, if you have two owners who want the same team, we figure out a way (seniority?) to work it out. Perhaps giving as many owners their second choice as possible...

4) Completely up to you. I know the TMFL allowed some non-premier members into the league to try and keep afloat. I think maybe see if we could get premier status if 2/3 of our league is premier? Then see if the other guys are interested in making the plunge?

Edit:I am coming from the TMFL side of things as I'm not in the SMFL. Hope my comments aren't out of place considering that I'm not in your league. I just think this is the best idea for everyone - there are definitely enough of us between the two organizations to have a really awesome league.

3. Keller

I've certainly toyed with the idea of allowing League Manager to manage the salary cap but I'm not particularly fond of it for the reason that I cannot control it enough. We have some pretty unique twists in our salary cap system that League Manager can't support. If it were a vehicle for holding the salary cap numbers, fine, but I can't change things like I can with spreadsheets yanno?

I'm not sure how I feel about a complete rework of the teams either. I mean, I have an up and running league with the SMFL. I made a commitment to these guys that I intend to fulfill. With a merger theres a very good chance I'm going to be making some of them unhappy one way or another. Whether it be team or starting over or whatever, but something is going to irk them.

As far a the premiere status, I hope you're right. I don't want to force anyone to go premiere if they don't want to. As I've said before, I do it to support the site, not because I want to be premiere. If other guys don't want to, they shouldn't have to.

4. BadaBing319

BadaBing319 OMFL Broncos / PMFL Eagles

Totally understand where you are coming from. No doubt there would be some pissed off owners who have spent 1 1/2 months reworking their teams to have to start over. Not to mention the guys who are in line for playoff spots.

5. sibellius

sibellius Too legit to quit

I'd be willing to make some sacrifices for the sake of filling up the teams with active players, whether it be going with new rules/cap systems or having to pick a different team altogether. I've never used League Manager so can't really say anything on that. The idea of having two commissioners to share the responsibilities is definitely appealing as well as it'll give Kellar a break and make things much easier to manage. My only issue is with going premier. It'd be a good idea to run maybe one season and then at that point each person can decide if its worth it to pay up to stay in based off how the leagues going.

6. rushers24

rushers24 Walk On

Well as I express my enthusiasm in wanting to create a better league with more owners, I would still like to keep my current team and current season. If we choose to start all over, and I'm forced to pick another team then I really don't know how I'm going to feel about that, and I don't know if it would be worth it for me. I feel we have a solid group of guys in the SMFL, and that we just need to build upon it, not necessary start over. I guess if everyone else wanted to start over, and I could keep the same team then I would do it. But I'd say the odds of that happening are slim, and it would really take the fun out of it for me if I couldn't play with my favorite team.

So my take: I say we take all the players who are looking for a new league and let them join ours. Were only in our first season of our franchise, and it's a work in progress. My vision would be at have a very solid group of guys and to build owners for the start of next season. The idea would be to have 20 owners or more with at least 2 teams per division for the start of the draft after the season. Also, I wouldn't have any problems being a premium member if that's what everyone wanted to do.

7. Geiger52

Geiger52 Walk On

I'm prett much down for whatever as long as I can be the Seahawks. I joined a different league for a bit with another team and it's just not much fun. It would be kind of shitty to lose my trades and 9-1 record, but not the biggest deal. The other thing is, I don't mind playing the CPU for some of my games. It's nice for me being on the west coast to be able to play games late at night. That said though, I'm down for whatever the league wants as long as I can keep my hawks.

8. Keller

My goal is to keep everyone together and happy. At the same time, theres definitely a need for stability for the leagues on TF and I think this league can provide that if I can just figure out the right way to merge everything together.

9. CWT 3000

CWT 3000 Walk On

For me it'll come down to which team i'm able to use. Otherwise I'm open to anything!

10. DreSmithJr

DreSmithJr It Be So EMPTY, WITHOUT ME...

Im actually in both this league and TMFL.

and having a league FULL is way more fun.

In TMFL i got the scraps (late applicant) and still got the cardinals

the best thing about madden is this

ITS the NFL, ANY TEAM can win, as long as you play a good game. Not like college where if im usf and ur bama, the cpu hand u a W.

so yeah im down. count me in.

1. Whos actual console file do we use or do we start fresh?
    start fresh, ONLY FAIR WAY

2. Which offseason/roster management system do we use?
    Work together to take the best aspects of both
    3. Who gets first choice of team. League A or League B?
    Neither. Submission to commissioner. top 3 choices. then maybe use league records as tie breakers?
    4a. Is the league going to be Premiere or not?
    Doesnt Matter
    4b. If Premiere, how do you resolve the members who aren't that are apart of a good league already?
    They get premier
    4c. If not Premiere, how do you resolve the members who are Premiere who paid to play in Premiere leagues?
    They more then likey wont care.

11. stryder24

stryder24 Walk On

My biggest thing is keeping the dolphins, if we reset as long as we used new updated rosters it would kind of be like a new season(dolphins have had a lot of positive changes so that's why I wouldn't mind a reset.) Otherwise since we are over halfway through the season might be better to finish it out.

I have no problem paying $12.00 dollars.

I would like to have some sort of set advancing, like every sunday night and every thursday, or 3 advances a week. The Ten Year War(which is dead) had a pretty good advancement schedule.

12. Keller

My goal has always been a set advancement schedule and thats what I've been working towards. The problem is that, if you remember, I always said it would be dependent on what my owners want. Its not always easy finding a good schedule for everyone. The general schedule has always been 2 advances a week, sometimes 3. And lately its always been a Wed/Thur adv then a Sat/Sun advance. It will continue to follow something along those lines.

13. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

Keller,

Everyone in this thread has made some valuable points. But the truth of the matter is, the only way to do this right is to start over with 1 file and then have 1 FA system. Unfortunately this will not be popular with some people. But then again, no decision you make on this will have 100% approval among the group.

I am a Tampa Bay Buccaneers fan, so that is my first choice. Would I choose another team in order to make this work, absolutely. If others are of the same mindset, we will have no issues. If they do not share the same mindset, then we'll need some form of hashing out who gets what and why (longest time on TF, current record with the team being fought over, post count, etc...).

Last, in the TMFL I was very active, helped complete 10 full team roster updates (of the 32) on the spreadsheet that lives on Google docs and have also added content for nearly every week (even with a 2-9 record). My point is, in order to manage 32 team you need more than 1 commissioner to 1) delegate duties, and 2) cover during periods the other may be absent. So, if this is the route we go and you are seeking others to share some of the workload, I would be more than happy to assist.

Regards,
    Randy

14. Keller

So I think the general sentiment is...

Stick with our file and port over users.
    We get our teams.
    We don't mind going premiere if we have to.

So much for compromising, lol.

Seriously though, I'm doing my best guys.

15. Keller

Randy, you're definitely one of the guys I was so excited about bringing on board and one of the guys I had in mind for delegation of duties/administration roles. Trust me, your efforts aren't wasted on me.

As far as the merging - I'm still trying to figure out the best course. I obviously have to do what the site administrators want as well so I'm still figuring that all out. Rest assured I have our best minds hard at work on a solution, lol.

16. yankeery25

yankeery25 Banned

Idk, I really like the team I put together. I think we should use our file considering Ten Year War is the one in absolute disarray right now

17. Geiger52

Geiger52 Walk On

Are we going to have any sort of conclusion on this by 5? I think starting over may be cool, but I don't really want to play any more games until we know for sure they will matter...

18. DreSmithJr

DreSmithJr It Be So EMPTY, WITHOUT ME...

(y)

19. Keller

I doubt we'll be coming to any sort of conclusion soon. My goal is going to be to push for using our file, so your efforts will hopefully not be for naught.

20. stryder24

stryder24 Walk On

How many people will be coming over? I think that really will determine what we need to do.

If we start over we will get more buy in from the new owners
    If we don't we get more buyin from existing owners.

Take a vote, have a co-commish system, and lets get it settled. I do like my team though.. and I have a rematch with the Jets in 2 weeks I was looking forward too :)

21. Keller

Depends on what all happens as far as the details of the merger. Everything is very preliminary at this point.

22. uknownsoldier55

uknownsoldier55 Walk On

i would prefer to keep this one going , looking forward to making a push for the NFC North title , looks like its still up for grabs, beyond that im looking forward to the offseason and my new DE from New York

if we have to restart i would want the bears for sure , this is the only league i got them in

i have no problem paying

also
    can we go to a set wed/sat night advance schedule it would help out for those of us that have opposite weekday schedules

23. CWT 3000

CWT 3000 Walk On

I wish I could give more advice, but this is my first and only Madden League. I think starting over and bringing guys over from the other league makes the best case. Bump our league up to Premeir, because 12.00 aint nutt'n. 2 commish's and were ready.

Cory

24. Subkontraktor

Subkontraktor Plays with Knives.

I am having fun with the Chiefs, but at the same time, it seems like we've dropped a few owners and are down to 10 or 12 in the SMFL?

If we restart, I think the new owner surge may almost fill us up. We saw how many new people joined midseason... 3 or 4? We should have 20+ people lined up if we restart. There's probably many out there looking for a league that didn't get in one early.

Then again, it would put our hard work to waste, but I do like the idea of a full league. It'd be something to grow on and build on even going into Madden 12.

I'm on board. I'd love to get my Chiefs again. I'd pay the $12, but it may take a week or two.

25. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

I'm on the fence, I would have to see exactly how this would work out. Having games against the CPU works well for someone like me who has to work a lot and doesn't have a ton of free time. But I'd be willing to look at what exactly the other league would be like. I don't agree that guys are premiere get first pick on teams. I think a system should be worked out or hell I will throw all the names in a hat and pick them out live on my webcam for everyone to see. I think a fair system needs to be adapted for teams. I am in a wait and see sort of mode.

If it means getting a new team for everyone yeah that's okay with me I don't mind restarting there are a few teams that I would like to play as. I gotta wait and see what it's going to look like.