MG'S DRAFT GRADES (USER TEAMS ONLY)

Discussion in 'Hard Knocks' started by _MG_, Nov 24, 2011.

1. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    VIEWER DISCRETION:
    THIS IS MY VIEW, AND MY VIEW ONLY. IF YOU DON'T LIKE YOUR GRADE...​
    Cincinatti Bengals
    Best Pick: MLB Kenyon Hubert - IOWA (rd 1 p1)
    Worst Pick: FS Tavarus Colson - Grambling St. (rd 4 p 25)
    Sleeper Pick: HB Zach Lamothe - UCLA (rd 3 p 25)
    GRADE: A
    Reasoning: Not long ago, the Bengals were on top of the HK Universe. Flash forward a season and they have a little rebuilding to do. What better way than trading up and getting the #1 pick? Cincy will put Hubert, who is a cant-miss future Pro Bowler, next to 2012 Defensive MVP Brian Cushing in a revamped defense sure to make the rest of the AFC raise an eyebrow.
    Hated the pick of Colson. Great speed, but terrible in coverage, can't catch the ball and doesn't know how to tackle. Liked the pick of Bruins HB Zach Lamothe. I mean...c'mon...if Cedric Benson can run behind that offensive line, Stephen Hawking could be a 1,000 yard rusher. Overall nice work by the Bengals front office. They sacrificed a lot for that #1 pick, but I think it will be worth it.
    Chicago Bears
    Best Pick: FS Rasean Carter - Ohio (rd 1 p3)
    Worst Pick: C Darrion Westbrook - Wisconsin (rd 4 p21)
    Sleeper Pick: HB Tercel Watts - Toledo (rd 3 p21)
    Grade: A
    Reasoning: If no other reason, the Bears deserve an A for getting every player they projected they would get this draft. That's right, after talking to Bears GM Jerry Angelo this morning, he told us they literally snagged every player they thought they would and could not be any happier.
    FS Rasean Carter is the next Ed Reed. Explosive speed, great ball skills for a defender. He needs to work on his tackling, but the rest already puts him in the top 5 safeties in the NFC without a doubt. They also took Detchauz Settle, corner out of little known Eastern Oregon with the #10 pick. Settle was the top corner in this draft according to most, so this new-look Bears defense without Urlacher and Julius Peppers should have an amazing young secondary to help take some pressure off the defensive front.
    Darrion Westbrook was a guy who was taken just to fill a roster requirement, and I don't expect him to get any playing time considering he can't run block for SHIT. Look for Willie Colon to start at center for the Bears week 1 at Green Bay.
    Tercel Watts might be the steal of the draft. Speed (95) and power (98 trucking) is his game. I loved this pickup late in the draft. Bears had to pick up another back, this pick was outstanding.
    Arizona Cardinals
    Best Pick: DT Jarrett Jean-Louis - Navy (r1 p6)
    Worst Pick: RG Connor Nicolopulos - Oklahoma (r6 p6)
    Sleeper Pick: FS CJ Griffin - Texas (r2 p6)
    Grade: A+
    Reasoning: The Cardinals came out of this draft looking like a franchise that straight up just gets it. Jean-Louis will bring toughness and determination to the middle of the defense that at times looks heartless and lacking in desire (I SEE YOU DAN WILLIAMS).
    Second round draft pick CJ Griffin was a steal. In most drafts that don't involve a Rasean Carter-type player, Griffin would be a top 20 pick and probably the best free safety in the draft. He will develop a season then replace Kerry Rhoads in Arizona and be a solid NFL player.
    Connor Nicolopulos is slow...very slow. Good luck having a guard with his speed pulling to the left on a toss play. Loss of yards waiting to happen. That and he has some of the worst footwork I have ever seen from a linemen at the combine. Sure he is strong, but what else? Obviously this is nitpicking because he was taken so late, but this dude flat out sucks. They also took a quarterback by the name of Shaq Marshall out of Michigan State. Look for him to develop into a guy who can push Kolb for his job in a season or two. I loved this draft by Arizona.

• Like Like x 1
  2. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    Seattle Seahawks
    Best Pick: CB Jean Jones - Duke (r2 p11)
    Worst Pick: MLB Jaxon Houston - Notre Dame (r1 p11)
    Sleeper Pick: HB DeAngelo Bell - Illinois (r3 p11)
    Grade: C
    Reasoning: I am going to be honest. I hated the Seahawks pick of Jaxon Houston in the first round. You announce you are switching to a 4-3 defense. Ok, sounds good. What is a key to a good 4-3 defense? Linebackers who can play coverage. What does Jaxon Houston NOT DO? Play coverage. You got me scratching my head Seattle.
    To be fair, I liked the rest of their draft. Jean Jones is going to be a stud (MAN was this draft deep at corner) and Illini back DeAngelo Bell is someone I am predicting will get a lot more carries than people might think. I believe Bell has all the tools to push for the starting job in the Emerald City. I like him a lot.
    Overall not a bad draft at all, I am just disappointed in the first round selection. PROVE ME WRONG JAXON.
    New York Jets
    Best Pick: HB Octvious Hardy - E. Carolina (r1 p 28)
    Worst Pick: NONE
    Sleepeer Pick: NONE
    Grade: B
    Reasoning: The Jets had a solid draft. I don't see anyone on their team having huge upside, but for where they were drafting I think they had a solid go. They drafted for value and got it for where they were, including arguably the best running back in the whole draft at #28. Hardy should start immediately for the Jets, as I am assuming this pick means free agent Shonn Greene is out the door. Hardy is a guy many are comparing to Chris Johnson in that they both went to East Carolina and Hardy just recently broke CJ's all-time leading rushing record for the Pirates. I think he will bring a level of big play capability that Greene didn't, and I think it is a great pick for gang green.
    The rest, as I said, is neither exciting nor underwhelming. I don't expect any starters or breakout players from the rest of this draft for NY, but they got some solid backups.
    Detroit Lions
    Best Pick: LT Dulan Guy - Central Arkansas (r1 p32)
    Worst Pick: QB Marquiste Culliver - New Mexico State (r1 p21)
    Sleeper Pick: DE Pedro Elliot - UNLV (r4 p10)
    Grade: D
    Reasoning: WTF! The Lions traded down from the #10 pick to get two first round selections. The first of those came at #21. And they took a Quarterback. I have nothing else to fucking say about this pick. I am sure Matthew Stafford feels the same way.
    Dulan Guy should be a mainstay at LT and be good, but not great. I like him but his ceiling is relatively low, don't expect multiple pro bowls but expect a solid every game starter for the next 10 years. I loved the Pedro Elliot pick in round 4. Elliot has a lot of potential and I wouldn't be shocked if he was starting for the Lions in 2 or 3 seasons if he works hard in the weight room and on the practice field. He dominated at times at UNLV, so he has it in him to be great. Will Coach Jim Schwartz get it out of him? We will see.
    Oh, and they took a punter at pick #10 of the 3rd round. A punter. In the third round.

• Like Like x 1
  3. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    New Orleans Saints
    Best Pick: CB Marcus Saunders - San Jose State (r1 p13)
    Worst Pick: DT DeAngelo Lipford - Nebarska (r2 p13)
    Sleeper Pick: QB Jabriel Arrington - Michigan (r2 p30)
    Reasoning: Marcus Saunders is probably the 2nd best corner in this draft. I liked the pick a lot, I think Saunders has it in him to become a shutdown corner one day. I also really liked the Jabriel Arrington pick at the end of round 2. I think Arrington can and will be a starter in this league one day, and what better position to put a young QB like him in than sitting and learning behind Peyton Manning? Perfect fit, perfect sense. Nice job, New Orleans!
    My one gripe is the 2nd round selection of DeAngelo Lipford, who is a guy I think came into this draft highly overrated. People talking about how he is the next SUH need to watch game tape. Lipford lacks the nasty factor needed to be a DT at the NFL level. He struggles to get off blocks most of the time and has no real moves in the trenches, making him a terrible pass rusher. He is OK, don't get me wrong, but I would think you could get someone with a brighter future that early in the second round.
    Carolina Panthers
    Best Pick: SS Dario Dickerson - Oregon (r1 p15)
    Worst Pick: LT Malik Greene - Oregon (r2 p15)
    Sleeper Pick: WR Jerron Watson - LSU (r3 p2)
    Grade: B+
    Reasoning: Dario Dickerson was the best strong safety in the draft and will be a force in Carolina for a long time. He is a lock to be a starter and I think he will develop into one of the best SS's in the NFL in the next couple years. Great pick.
    Malik Greene in the second round was a pick I didn't really like. He is an unbelievable run blocker, but he struggles pass blocking against good defensive ends. I think there were better options at this spot, like LT Grant Kirkland out of UTEP. You can't have a franchise LT that struggles at pass blocking in the NFL.
    The rest of the teams in the NFL need to hope and pray Jerron Watson doesn't learn how to catch the ball. If he does everyone is in big, big trouble. Oh, and the HB they took? We won't say anything...but watch out NFC South.
    Indianapolis Colts
    Best Pick: DT Eric Lloyd - Oregon (r1 p19)
    Sleeper Pick: TE Zac Whitney - Middle Tenn. State (r3 p19)
    Grade: A
    Reasoning: Nicely done, Indianapolis. Eric Lloyd was a guy I was very high on coming into this draft. High motor, sheds blocks and hits hard. That is a good combination for a 4-3 defensive tackle. He fits the bill, he will be very good for them.
    Also the Colts took safety Dem Diggs with the 20th pick. I like that as well, as the loss of Melvin Bullet hurts less with Diggs added to the mix. Diggs has a high potential and could be the next Bob Sanders in Indy if he develops.
    Zac Whitney is the next Dallas Clark as well. He will end up being perhaps the steal of this draft, as I think he has a bright future as one of the games next top tight ends. Very good draft for the Colts, I tried hard but could find no holes.

• Like Like x 1
  4. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    Tennessee Titans
    Best Pick: WR Jerel Jefferson - Indiana (r2 p22)
    Worst Pick: RT Tannon Hackett - Savannah State (r5 p22)
    Sleeper Pick: LG Phillip Barrett - Arizona (r3 p22)
    Grade: C+
    Reasoning: Taking the Center in the first round was boring but solid. Jerel Jefferson, on the other hand, might be the best pick all draft. Huge upside and gives the Titans a guy they don't really have, someone who isn't afraid to catch the ball in the middle of the field in traffic. He has great route running skills and I think he will be the Titans version of Hines Ward. Big time player at Indiana who should slowly develop into a top flight WR for the Titans.
    Tannon Hackett sucks, plain and simple. The guy might be the worst run blocking tackle I have ever seen. Titans fans better hope he never sees the field if he makes the team.
    Phillip Barrett has all the tools to eventually become a starter in this league. Great value for the Titans in the late 3rd round. Good, solid draft by Tennessee.
    New York Giants
    Best Pick: QB Shane Boals - N. Alabama (r1 p23)
    Worst Pick: RB Maurio Yates - San Jose State (r4 p23)
    Sleeper Pick: WR Dimitri Richard - Northern Iowa (r3 p23)
    Reasoning: Boals at 23 means the Giants either aren't willing to commit long term to Jason Campbell or are trading/cutting him before season begins. Boals will be good but might need a season or two to develop before we see how good he can be. He is coming out of a small school where he dominated lesser competition. A jump from North Alabama to the NFL is obviously a humongous challenge, so no one truly knows how he will respond.
    Maurio Yates in the 4th round was sexy, but a bad pick. Yates does it all...speed...power...spin moves...juke moves...stiff arms. Everything. Except hold on to the ball or catch the ball. *Thumbs down*.
    Dimitri Richard is the next Wes Welker. Deceptively quick (99 acceleration) he will be a short yardage monster for the Giants and should contribute right away. I also really liked the pick of Chytee Wavers in the 2nd round. Lots of room to improve for Wavers, but if he does he could be a starter in the Big Apple in a couple seasons.
    Buffalo Bills
    Best Pick: TE Calvin Fletcher - Nevada (r1 p24)
    Worst Pick: RG Logan Cheatham - Virginia Tech (r2 p24)
    Sleeper Pick: DT Brennan Walters - Texas (r3 ps24)
    Grade: C+
    Reasoning: Calvin Fletcher might be the best tight end to come out of college the last three years. I am sure Eli Manning was through the roof happy to see the Bills go out and get him such a dynamic weapon. Great selection.
    Logan Cheatham was a reach, as I think if the Bills wanted a guard at #24 in the 2nd there were better options, such as DeAndre Cheeseboro and Phillip Barrett. Cheatham isn't bad, just nothing more than a career backup.
    Walters will be a solid #2 or #3 defensive tackle for a long time in the NFL. Not much more can be expected than that, but you need guys like Walters on the line to keep your starters fresh. I liked this pick a lot.

5. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    Oakland Raiders
    Best Pick: DT Brendon Koyack - Michigan (r1 p29)
    Sleeper Pick: WR Sintamuel Gbor - S.F. Austin (r3 p29)
    Reasoning: Everything about the Raiders draft class was solid. Not flashy at all, but a very nice job by the Raiders in this years draft. Koyack was a solid late pick in the first and has potential to be a monster. He will be a good player for Oakland and will disrupt a lot of offenses. No real bad picks by the Raiders, I really understood and liked where they went in every round.
    Sintamuel Gbor will be a stud if he learns the playbook in Oakland and runs the right routes. That will be key, but otherwise I like Gbor to produce regularly at the NFL level.
    Atlanta Falcons
    Best Pick: DE Montrell Simmons - USC (r1 p26)

Worst Pick: LG Ayoub Clay - Idaho State (r6 p26)

Sleeper Pick: None

Reasoning: A lot like the Raiders, Atlanta went with substance over flash in this draft. Montrell Smimmons was a nice pick, as was their next pick of Austin Shepard. Neither will set the world on fire, but neither will have to.

The Falcons are a good team and just need a few more pieces, and these guys will fit into roles very well. I like what they did this draft. No real sleepers, they know what they got and know what they have. Good, but not exciting draft by Atlanta this year.

St. Louis Rams
    Best Pick: CB Edgeton Justice - Arkansas (r1 p30)
    Worst Pick: HB Najee Bujari - North Dakota (r3 p30)
    Grade: B-
    Reasoning: St. Louis did ok with what they had...a low 1st and no 2nd round pick. I loved the pick of Edgeton Justice, I think he will make big plays and pay big dividends for St. Louis down the stretch THIS YEAR. He dominated the SEC, a good sign for a player coming to the NFL.
    I disliked the Najee Bujari draft pick. He has talent, but is coming off two knee surgeries. The guy just can't stay healthy and probably will get hurt again at the NFL level. You would think from Stephen Jackson's injury woes the Rams would stay away from backs who get banged up easily, but obviously not. Still a solid draft considering what picks they had.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

Great job on these MG!! You're doing your homework on these for sure!!! Good luck with your rookies, I expect big things out of them and your team this year

7. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    Cleveland Browns
    Best Pick: NONE
    Sleeper Pick: NONE
    Grade: NONE
    Reasoning: The Browns didn't have a draft pick until the end of the 5th round. Nothing to really grade. They were too busy talking to DeSean Jackson on the phone. Big off-season for Cleveland, hopefully giving your whole draft away in trades pays off with the big contracts you are giving out!
    Baltimore Ravens
    Best Pick: DE Marquan Roberts - Ball State (r2 p32)
    Worst Pick: ROLB Marquess Strong - SMU (r3 p32)
    Sleeper Pick: NONE
    Reasoning: Not a lot of picks for the returning NFL Superbowl Champs, but I loved the Marquan Roberts pick. He will eventually take over and be a cornerstone of this 3-4 defense in 3-4 seasons once Julius Peppers retires.

Marquess Strong is terrible, especially in the 3-4 that needs their OLB's to be pass rushing machines. He can't cover anyone either, so he probably doesn't fit ANYWHERE in the NFL. Bad pick.
    Dallas Cowboys
    Best Pick: DE Aaron McGriff - Nebraska (r2 p27)
    Worst Pick: None
    Reasoning: Just like the Ravens, with the little picks the Cowboys had, they put them to solid use. I like the Aaron McGriff pick late in round 2, probably the best player on the board and a good value for the Cowboys.
    Minnesota Vikings
    Best Pick: SS Frantanzy (franchise) Watson - Wake Forest (r1 p31)
    Sleeper Pick: FB Chase Lyle - Florida State (r3 p31)
    Grade: B+
    Reasoning: What a great draft by Minnesota. Coming off an NFC Championship and Superbowl appearance, the rich just get richer as the Vikings added numerous solid players who should be capable of contributing.

My favorite pick of all was Chase Lyle at the end of the third. The guy is a freight train when run blocking, and he will quickly turn into Adrian Peterson's best friend with the way he takes out linebackers and linemen. Impressive player who was a steal in the third round for Minnesota.
    Washington Redskins
    Best Pick: HB Eluzias Wells - USC (r1 p25)
    Worst Pick: None
    Sleeper Pick: RG DeAndrew Cheeseboro - UTEP (r3 p1)
    Grade: A++++
    Reasoning: I think it is safe to say the Washington Redskins are the winners of the 2013 NFL Draft. They traded down from the #1 pick, got Keith Rivers and Ray Malauga, and still got the best HB in the draft at #25? The same guy they probably would have drafted at #1? WOW, nicely done Washington! That is masterful GMing my friend.

The rest of the picks were great too...Powe will be another great addition to that young receiving group. Cheeseboro will be a good linemen in the future with high potential and could one day be an annual pro bowler. I loved this teams draft class and how they handled having the #1 pick.

WELL DONE SIR!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

_MG_ - In my defense, Yates was my not pick ( B0BJR0526 ) and he was not given a contract :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

Great work MG

10. cadepetty247

cadepetty247 Walk On

Good stuff MGeezy

11. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

Great job as usual, MG.

12. thebouncer24

thebouncer24 Cheese Like MG

Great Job MG i'll take my C and move on....Center in the first was a must I wanted AJ but still needed a Center my other two are low 70s

13. redwings8831

redwings8831 Walk On

I know what I'm doing.

14. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

Great work MG, Colson could be a bust but I have a feeling as long as he doesn't bite on the PA I will be ok ;)

15. DC

DC Shake n Bake

I thought my DT was a good pick up lol. He may be my 3-4 DE

16. DrunkenSoldier

DrunkenSoldier Luck Of The Irish

Nice Job MG

17. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

Great work MG. I'll take the ratings and the player attributes with a grain of salt with my choices. If they play out anywhere like NCAA does, my choice at guard should turn out OK.

18. Matt54987

Matt54987 Walk On

I don't think that LBs coverage skills are all that bad. Much better than LeRoy Hill's, whom he will be replacing.

Plus, I have to face the facts: As interesting as switching to the 4-3 seems, i'll most likely suck at it and be back in the 3-4 by week 5.

19. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    He will be good as an OLB in a 3-4 for sure if thats what you do.

20. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    Well you thought wrong.

:D

21. DC

DC Shake n Bake

[​IMG] GIFSoup

• Like Like x 1
  22. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

_MG_ this dude is jackin' your avatar swag son...

23. DC

DC Shake n Bake

Nah I got the real thing. MGs a poser lmao