Miami 38 - Florida St 20

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by NYJuggalo45, Jan 19, 2010.

1. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

Miami 38 - Florida St 20

Smoke & Mirrors...

When asked how to describe the Miami Hurricanes unexpected rebirth, Coach Juggs' answer was "Smoke and mirrors".

Miami kept it's undefeated record in tact by beating the hated rival Seminoles 38-20 in what was one of the uglier games of the year in college football.

The teams combined on 10 turnovers. Miami QB Adam Francis played one of his poorer games of the season, throwing 4 picks...but the Miami defense stood tough, picking off FSU QB's 5 times and forcing a fumble.

HB Derrick Marcus was more involved in this week's game than in the past and finished with 3 rushing TDs. But the key of the game was Miami's defense, who again got constant pressure on the opposing QB and stuffed the run.

"I don't know how we're doing it honestly. We have no talent on offense. Our defense is solid, but defense can't win in this game. We keep winning these ugly games" Coach Juggs at a loss to explain how his team is winning, but happy that they are.

On the downside, the Canes lost their 3rd player for the year in this one, this time super Frosh DE Ryan Benson. Thru 5 games, the DE led the team with 13 sacks and about 25 tfl. He single handedly won us the Clemson game. He joins the list of starting MLB Christian Henderson and QB Ray Wise, as the big serious injuries are starting to take a major toll on the team.

GG Merih. I'm writing this all from memory, and my memory sucks, so I'm sure you're follow up will be more detailed.

2. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Woo no more benson! :). I got enough troubles with a pass rush already!

3. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Bummer that you keep losing players to injury. As if the schedule and inconsistent recruiting weren't enough of a problem, lol....

We all know that when Miami has a good team they are dangerous. They are proving that right now.

4. Merih

Merih XBL Gamertag: Ambasa10

Dammit Juggs I thought we had a gentlemens agreement to not talk about the sloppy play! :D

Honestly, I was thoroughly handled by Miami's defensive gameplan. I didn't help myself by taking bad sacks and going away from the running game too soon. I was able to put together a string of good drives leaving me only down 17-13 early in the third (I started out down 17-0). Miami quickly responded with 21 unanswered and salted away the game quickly.

One positive side is that I'm finding out which of my players dissapear in user vs user games. For some reason my RB Brown has alot less pop and burst when I play versus users. I think I'm going to make a switch at QB, I can no longer sacrifice accuracy for speed, especially when I'm making bad decisions.

Juggs, it looks like the time off hasn't hurt you at all! You're a damn good player and are very fundamentally sound defensively. The U is back, so be forewarned to the rest of his opponents. I'm going to have a more formal writeup for you guys tonight when I get home from work.

5. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

lol sorry man, I had to say something. I think my QB now has more picks than TDs on the year. He was a 2nd team All-American pre-season, need to give some explanation as to why he is blowing this year.

Ahhh, smoke and mirrors. We caught some good breaks vs you and Clemson. I don't expect my luck to hold up tonite against GT or in a few weeks vs VTech. We just don't have the firepower on offense and as obvious last night, I shoot myself in the foot way too much with turnovers.

6. Merih

Merih XBL Gamertag: Ambasa10

It sucked to go back into the nightmare that was...but here's my game recap:

[​IMG] VS [​IMG]
    #8 Miami (5-0) (2-0) vs #9 Florida State (4-1) (3-1)

[​IMG]

Sloppy Game Exposes 'Noles

October 11th, 2014

MIAMI - - "We looked terrible," spoke Coach Merih "there was almost nothing positive to take away from this game."

Indeed.

Florida State was turned over 6 times, and only accrued 192 total yards of offense. Yet somehow, they were only down 17-13 in the third quarter.

In this instance, their worst enemy also kept them in the game; they forced 4 turnovers of their own.

"Sometimes we had a good pass rush, sometimes we didn't. Sometimes we played well in the secondary, most of the time we did not. When it really counted, 3rd downs, red zone defense, we came up woefully short."

It was one of the rare times that the defense was exposed for what it truly is: supremely athletic, yet woefully unprepared for the major (read: user) games.

The offense was even worse; going 30% on third down, and only amassing 17 rushing yards (partly due to giving up 5 sacks). The offensive lines inability to keep Bostic upright led to the aforementioned sacks as well as numerous hits in the motion of throwing, which often were converted into interceptions by a very hungry and opportunistic Hurricane defense.

"Bostic got knocked around too much. I had to pull him to try and preserve his health. In the process I learned that Langford has alot to offer this offense. His seniority and calm under pressure, as well as accuracy with the football was a sight for sore eyes. Granted, it was late in the game facing a mostly zone defense."

Willie Brown after the game expressed dissapointment in his number of carries.

"Y'all know me...I been here a while. Y'all know that I can help this team do some things. I know we were behind for the most part, but I felt as though we didn't need to hit the panic button that quick."

"He's right," said Coach Merih "he's absolutely right. He and Dane Harrison have to be the leaders of this team, so when he says something like that, I listen."

Aside from listening, Coach Merih would also do well to win some of these marquee matchups. He can't rest on the laurels of his victory over Florida in last year's bowl game. Seminole fans have much shorter memories than that.